Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair to retire from the Commons after next election

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

What impact will this have on the Labour Party?

Comments

• Options
    Blairism is effefctively dead anyway..it won't have much impact on the party
  • Options
    Lord Blair anyone? :nervous:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Blairism is effefctively dead anyway..it won't have much impact on the party
    :lol:

Oh boy.

Blair is Brown and Brown is Blair. That people don't realise this is a constant source of mirth to me.

Then I remember they will vote that Scottish cunt in, and I get scared.
  • Options
    There's quite a strong anybody but Brown within the Labour Party. Labours real splits don't seem to be on ideology, but on personality.
  • Options
    Don't believe it for a second.

That cunts going out feet first, if ever. His pact with the big red dude should hold him for a while longer.

Favourite bits.
    the idea of negotiating changes with other elected European politicians does not appeal.
    The most logical date for Mr Blair's announcement that he is to quit the Commons will be when he sets out the timing of his resignation as prime minister.

Best statement of the obvious ever!
    Mr Blair has a poor personal voting record in the House of Commons, and his plan to leave parliament may be seen by some as further confirmation that he has never been excessively attracted to Westminster's "club" and its traditions.

"Brown is Blair without the laughs" said Gearge Galloway, and he's right.

Should be in prison, is going to be in the Lords.
  • Options
    Downing Street has denied it anyway;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4734339.stm

Mr Blair's official spokesman said: "If the prime minister was thinking of making an announcement such as this he would discuss it with his family and constituency.

"He has not had this discussion or turned his mind to this"
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:
    There's quite a strong anybody but Brown within the Labour Party. Labours real splits don't seem to be on ideology, but on personality.

How rather true. I may not like Brown at all, but at least he thinks for himself. That is what scares the party.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Downing Street has denied it anyway;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4734339.stm

Mr Blair's official spokesman said: "If the prime minister was thinking of making an announcement such as this he would discuss it with his family and constituency.

"He has not had this discussion or turned his mind to this"

Oh wait apparantly he is now....
  • Options
    No surprise really. One of the lessons from previous Tory leaders is that when their predecessor is on the backbenches, knives can be aimed into the leader's back.

Plus, why the fuck would he want to be a backbencher after his term of office.

Goodbye and good riddance as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Goodbye and good riddance as far as I am concerned.

Agree - though I suspect for different reasons...
  • Options
    Don't forget that to replace blair (as was pointed out to me today) we're getting an accountant.

Accountants are only good for one thing, burning at the stake.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Agree - though I suspect for different reasons...

Dunno. Never liked the man, have never voted for him either. Could never understand the wave of euphoria about him in 1996 before the election was even called. I said at the time that you shouldn't believe what you see...
  • Options
    He's always struck me as a bit of all things to all men. But hell, what do I know. Unless he decides to call a snap election or something drastic happens he's going to be the longest serving Prime Minister since the war and one of the few who leaves on his own terms.
  • Options
    Or perhaps he knows he will soon be arrested and taken to The Hague for war crimes, and that he is going to be stripped out of his title as PM and MP anyway ;)

If only though...
  • Options
    Whatever he does, it's going to have to have a good security package. He's marked for life now, and was never going to be able to stay on as a backbencher.

I heard that John Burton stirring things yesterday by saying Blair's successor, be it Brown or Straw... That must smart...