Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Relapse?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I've never even heard of one before =\

There is such a thing, trust me. If you're really struggling with your pain then it would be worth asking.

I don't know where you live, but there are a lot more of them than there used to be.

The one here in Coventry has a pretty good website too. But there will be one more local to you than that! Unless of course you live in Coventry, which I'm pretty sure you don't.

http://www.coventrypainclinic.org.uk/
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'll ask my GP next time I'm there, I live in North London btw, so I think Coventry is a bit far ;)
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Yeah, I know about Ibuprofen and stomach lining, not the greatest combo in the world. I was about to stick on some pizza... get some food down me so I don't feel as drowzy.

if you are on NSAIDs long term, you can be prescribed drugs to help prevent the stomach issues (am having said stomach issues atm because they forgot aforementioned drugs - not the most amount of fun).

is there nothing they can offer you apart from painkillers? i'm not sure exactly what the deal is, but if you need anti-inflammatories, then i'm guessing it's an inflammatory problem. i've been semi-diagnosed with an inflammatory arthritis type problem, and while NSAIDs make the pain go away a little, they gave me corticosteroid jabs which made the entire inflammation in the joint go down for at least a month. they have a pretty high level of side effects too, but if you're quite light, you need a lower dose to be effective, and apparently it's better than being drugged up to the eyeballs on painkillers.
  • Options
    I've had a few steroid injections in my knees and they normally help for about 2 weeks, but after that the pain comes back worse, and they hurt like hell :(
  • Options
    could you maybe have a chat to your doc to see if there are any alternatives?

and are TENS machines (think that's right) any good for your kind of pain?
  • Options
    whats a TENS machine then? =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    whats a TENS machine then? =\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tens_machine
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont think you are supposed to mix Ibruprofen with Tramadol are you?

None of those drugs, other than codine have physical addiction potential, though you could get into a habit of taking them.
    I disagree... I think any drug has the potential to become addictive. I know people who have been hooked on paracetamol and if they don't take them they get a blinding headache.

Ever considered acupuncture?
  • Options
    I disagree... I think any drug has the potential to become addictive. I know people who have been hooked on paracetamol and if they don't take them they get a blinding headache.

I think you are misreading what I said, something can be habit forming, and you can feel rough if you dont take it, but that does not mean you are physically addicted, thats quite different. You can not, to my knowledge get physically addicted to paracetamol, Ibruprofen or Tramadol, though the latter is more open for debate.