Home› Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ideas for a first date?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 19 and althought I've had girlfriends before I've never really asked anyone out as such. Both my previous "relationships" more or less sorted themselves out through school and work without me actually having to do any asking. There's this girl I think is brilliant though, we used to work together so I have her number through work. But I've no idea what to do with it. I'll have to phone her at some point but I've got no idea what to say when she picks up. Plus I don't really have any ideas as what to do on a first date, and I don't want to just go to the cinema or something, I'd like to do something more interesting. Anyway any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Go to the fair or an amusment arcade? I've been to both on first dates and they were fun..you can have a laugh, don't have to talk too much and have the opportunity to get close on some of the rides. I wouldn't suggest going for a meal on the first date.
  • Options
    just give her a ring and say summat like "hey. aint spoke to u in ages, and i was wondering if you fancied coming out for a drink one nite??" Or maybe text her, it may be abit easier?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Go to the fair or an amusment arcade?

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    just give her a ring and say summat like "hey. aint spoke to u in ages, and i was wondering if you fancied coming out for a drink one nite??" Or maybe text her, it may be abit easier?

Isn't texting a big no no?
  • Options
    UpsetChap wrote:
    Isn't texting a big no no?
    Texting is the future :) lol
    I think texting is an excellent way to get back in touch with people who you haven't seen/spoke to for a while, you can just ask how they are without asking them to go on a date etc. You can't phone and say "How are you" "I'm fine thanks" "Nice 1 speak later". Texting breaks the ice, you get to think about your reply and just have general chit chat without moments of awkward silences. Then if the chit chats going well ask her out.
  • Options
    cinema is a good first date too coz it gives you something to talk about after.
  • Options
    Texting is the future :) lol
    I think texting is an excellent way to get back in touch with people who you haven't seen/spoke to for a while, you can just ask how they are without asking them to go on a date etc. You can't phone and say "How are you" "I'm fine thanks" "Nice 1 speak later". Texting breaks the ice, you get to think about your reply and just have general chit chat without moments of awkward silences. Then if the chit chats going well ask her out.

Not a bad idea. I've texted the girl before so it's not a problem for me to text her again. I was just always under the belief that texting someone to ask them out gave a bad impression.
  • Options
    well, it isn't like your saying "hey. how are you? will you go out with me+be my g.f?" you#re just inviting her out for a drink, and hoping it will lead to more :thumb:
  • Options
    The best way to meet her is if you have mutual friends or colleagues - find out where she goes nights and at the weekend. Just arrange with your friends to go on a night out and suggest the place you know she will be at. Gives you a chance to casually "bump" into her without any pressure on either of you.
  • Options
    go to the zoo, that was one of my first dates and it was brilliant :D
  • Options
    I took my girlfriend to a little restaurant I know for a first date. Later went on for a stroll in the beach as the moon shines over the sea. It was all very romantic. We both hugely enjoyed it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I took my girlfriend to a little restaurant I know for a first date. Later went on for a stroll in the beach as the moon shines over the sea. It was all very romantic. We both hugely enjoyed it.

great plan :thumb:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    great plan :thumb:
    It worked. Walking along the beach on a cool night - neither cold nor warm - in each other's arms, adoring gazes from time to time. I'd fallen in love! :love:
  • Options
    Phone her! Its not difficult ... hi how are you? been up to much? etc etc

Then....take her bungee jumping! She wont forget that too soon! .... or potholing! that would be original!
  • Options
    usually go for pre dinner drinks at a nice bar with some modern piano music (turns into rnb later with a club downstairs but usually leave before this) then onto a middle eastern restaurant which has rose petals scattered everywhere, dimmed lights and sofas for an intimate atmosphere. good food and belly dancers too.
  • Options
    cinema
  • Options
    If you have common interests... say for example you like art or music then work with that.
  • Options
    In my opinion the cinema is rubbish for a first date. you don't really get a chance to talk to one another.

Best thing for a first date is just going out for a drink or something. Best to keep it quite casual. The zoo sounds like a brilliant idea as does the fair!
  • Options
    I am now suffering the same predicament although the zoo sounds awesome.
  • Options
    pinkstar wrote:
    In my opinion the cinema is rubbish for a first date. you don't really get a chance to talk to one another.

Best thing for a first date is just going out for a drink or something. Best to keep it quite casual. The zoo sounds like a brilliant idea as does the fair!
    i agree with that too as i wouldnt take anyone to the cinema unless it involves pre drinks
  • Options
    last time i was courting i went for the old school approach and it worked well. did stuff like go for a walk round a nice park, go for a drive in the country and stop at a nice pub, also did bowling which is great fun and can be a real laugh!
  • Options
    Go iceskating; good excuse to hold hands!
  • Options
    my best 1st dates have been when a guy invites me to his and he cooks dinner for me :D
  • Options
    dinner or drinks are dodgy first date territory. unless you're super confident/very chatty at some point conversation will probably get a bit thin on the ground, and you'll be twiddling your thumbs.

anything which involves actually doing something, or creating conversation is better. from this thread, the zoo, fair, amusements and ice skating are fun ideas. if you run out of things to talk about, you can always talk about what you're doing.

me and the boy went bowling on our first date. it was fun, a bit silly, loads of opportunity to talk, and still the chance to check out each other's goods when they step up to bowl ;)
  • Options
    take them on a bus
  • Options
    Phone her.dont take the cowards way out.
    Texting is so inpersonal