Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teachers union calls for reintroduction of grammar schools

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's not really a difficult concept though. Teachers don't like teaching at schools where the kids don't want to learn, are difficult to motive, and are occasionally outright difficult and dangerous to deal with. They do like teaching in schools were the kids are bright and desire to know more, and those that are "difficult" would be angels in some comprehensives.

Yes but just because a child doesn't do well at the 11+ does not mean they're not bright and does not allow for their abilities to develop later and then they're stuck in a school starved of the better teachers.

Its just to inflexible to tier kids at age 11 and leave it at that until its time for them to take A Levels five years later.
  • Options
    I agree with sets. But it's a double edged sword.

I did very well in my GCSEs :) 2A* in dbl. science (a setted subject), A in maths (sets), french (sets), graphics(non-sets), and Cs in hums (non-sets), english lit & lang (non-sets), stats (not really taught :p) and history (non-sets).

However, the funny thing is, on average, the english department beats all the other departments for the amount improved on the national average. So, me jumping to conclusions perhaps, sets are good for intelligent students as they can push themselves harder. However, mixed ability groups are good for students who struggle more, because obviously the whole class' average is pulled up.

Having said that, many of my friends did get A* at english :p and it was probably the subject I did worst at (I came up with a level 8 from KS3 SATs, when the average was 5 I think).

I could never cope being in a class where we spent half the lesson listening to the teacher tell students off. I've always been a focussed worker, like in maths we just get set the problems and I work through them. Lessons where there is disruption completely craps up my learning. But for other people, they work the opposite, some mild disruption/distraction helps them learn (music etc.).

Think it all depends on the needs of the student really.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Yes but just because a child doesn't do well at the 11+ does not mean they're not bright and does not allow for their abilities to develop later and then they're stuck in a school starved of the better teachers.

Its just to inflexible to tier kids at age 11 and leave it at that until its time for them to take A Levels five years later.
    I didn't say that. What I did say is that's why teachers would rather go to a grammar school.
  • Options
    Still have grammar schools down here.

I have mixed feelings about them TBH, I'm the product of a grammar school but I'm not convinced that they are the best option. However, I also worry that Comps teach to the lowest common denominator and so the more intelligent children suffer... and struggle to reach their potential...
    Hear, hear.

That's exactly what I wanted to say.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Grammar Schools here too.

I didnt pass the 11+ and ended up at the comp for a year. Thankfully the Grammar School accepted me into the school the next year. And i held my own just fine which the test said i wouldnt do.

I dont like the elitism really and the fact that someone like me could be stuck in a comp and not forfil potential.
    I wouldn't say it's the quality of the education that'd be the problem... I think it's more an issue about labelling people as 'smart' or 'dumb'.

Another problem is that a lot of extremely bright young people whith hidden disabilities that haven't been picked up by teachers could end up not fulfilling their potential by not passing the test. Also at risk are people with Irlen's syndrome.
  • Options
    I personally think Grammar schools are a terrible idea.

I went through a comprehensive system along with all the kids from my area and I have done pretty well (I am starting my PhD in a couple of months. I feel that having sets etc are enough to focus the more intelligent kids whilst allowing more mobility and not denying the higher quality teaching to the less smart kids.

Any policy with such a divisive effect should be discouraged in my opinion........
  • Options
    Im in scotland and as far as im aware there arent any grammer schools here.But i certainly wish there had been when i went to secondary school.I was a very bright pupil and considering that i did fuck all at school and was always in trouble for one thing or another i did remarkably well in my standard grades.
    However there is no doubt in my mind that if i hadnt been in classes with less able kids who caused trouble in which i joined in i would have knuckled down and seriously reached my potential.
    Im not saying that all kids who go to grammer schools are angels and are never in trouble,but there would certainly be more of a drive for kids who wanted to acheive something and had the potential but lacked say the motivation a bit to do well.In the schools up here the lessons are more concentrated on controlling the badly behaved class than the subject in question.If your an idiot you get a lot of help.Everyone else is just left to get on with it.If you need that motivation to get you going your just not going to get it.
    I dont think its about elitism..i think its about giving kids a chance tbh.
    But i am rather bitter about my school experience....
  • Options
    Sounds like you are blaming others for your mistakes.

I was in plenty of classes with the 'naughty' kids, I just didn't get involved...........
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I didn't say that. What I did say is that's why teachers would rather go to a grammar school.

Yeah...sorry ... saw you had a sort of pro-stance towards grammar schools in an earlier post and then misread that post. :blush:

My sincere apologies ... i hope you will forgive me
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I was in plenty of classes with the 'naughty' kids, I just didn't get involved...........

Think your missing the point.I lacked the motivation,if teahcers had spent more time working with kids who had the potential but lacked motivation i would have excelled.Because that wasnt there because the less intelectual in my classes got it i didnt do much and got dragged down by the "naughty" kids.I think this is actually very true of a lot of kids.I made alot of mistakes that affected my education that i freely put my hands up to.Not recieving the support i needed wasnt one of them.
    Grammer schools allow for better streaming of abilities and therefore IN MY OPINION allow a better degree of support for kids who have the potential.
  • Options
    Well I agree that those with less potential shouldn't get more time, but neither should those with potential.........
  • Options
    Yes i agree entirely its just where i went to school those with potential were given NO time.Hence it being rather unfair
  • Options
    Fair enough, but if it is reasonable to say that a Grammar school sytem leads to btighter kids getting more attention then that is unfair also...
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Yeah...sorry ... saw you had a sort of pro-stance towards grammar schools in an earlier post and then misread that post. :blush:

My sincere apologies ... i hope you will forgive me
    I'll think about it. :p

I am extremely pro streamed education. That does not mean that some children should get a substandard education, but that those who are more able, should be pushed harder.
  • Options
    Think your missing the point.I lacked the motivation,if teahcers had spent more time working with kids who had the potential but lacked motivation i would have excelled.Because that wasnt there because the less intelectual in my classes got it i didnt do much and got dragged down by the "naughty" kids.I think this is actually very true of a lot of kids.I made alot of mistakes that affected my education that i freely put my hands up to.Not recieving the support i needed wasnt one of them.
    Grammer schools allow for better streaming of abilities and therefore IN MY OPINION allow a better degree of support for kids who have the potential.

Support in what respect?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Me as well - but it depended on the teacher. Like in one of our science lessons, I remember the teacher saying something like 'if you don't want to learn you don't have to. Just don't mess it up for everyone else.' I admit that I don't agree with what was said but it basically meant that everyone was actually doing work (or pretended to and just talked quietly to each other) unlike it was in English where no-one would work and we'd never learn anything. Beause of the amount of people messing around, I never got the support I needed, even when I was really behind... That was basically the same in most subjects I took for GCSE. (Just finished Year 11)
  • Options
    If you can't be arsed to do the work required then there is only one person in the world you can blame- yourself. I have no sympathy at all with lazy people, if you don't pull your finger out you deserve everything you get.

Why should the teacher spend time convincing the lazy to work? Why should those who aren't lazy lose contact time because of it?

I have never seen an advantage of a grammar school that cannot be achieved with better results in a streamed comprehensive school. Personally I would rather trust the ongoing assessment evaluations of the teachers who teach a pupil every day infinitely more that I would trust the results of a pre-pubescent arbritrary examination.

The 11+ is grotesquely unfair, and sentences people to a poorer education.

I think people are confusing state grammar schools- which is what this is about- and fee-paying schools.
  • Options
    I can't believe you openly admit you were a lazy arse but feel you can blame other people? Your education is your own responsibility. If you cannot be bothered to do the work why should teachers waste time that could be used helping people who are struggling but want to work to 'motivate' you just because you could do it if you wanted.

Everyone should go to comprehensives and work in sets. You all get the same facilities and the same opportunities. Exam performance (which is hardly a perfect judge of intelligence) should not in any way decide the standard that you will be educated to.
  • Options
    There's a lot of evidence to support the idea that a huge part of 'intelligence' is environmental too... So working class people will be at a disadvantage.
  • Options
    I lacked the motivation because i have depression and at the time i was diagnosed i had very poor control over the way i behaved.The teachers were aware of this and had been given instryctions by my year head,guidance teacher and psychiatrist to give me the push that i needed to acheive.They never did.Just as they never did with the other pupils in the class who had ADHD or problems similar to mine.
    I can motivate myself now.Ive just spent the last year at college and ive done well and im darned if i dont get to university next year.Aged 13-16 i couldnt cos my head was too up my arse.I didnt know better and whether you think its right or wrong i am still resentful for not being motivated at school or just been told to get a grip or leave.Both tactics would have helped greatly.Yes i was a penis but things are just not so black and white.
    Streaming would have been one way of helping me,in my personal situation,to put my focus on to learning and not doubt my own abilities.Which at the end of the day for me is what it came down to..
    Im not going to defend myself anymore.I agree with streaming.If that makes me a stuck up facist then oh well..
  • Options
    I can't believe you openly admit you were a lazy arse but feel you can blame other people? Your education is your own responsibility. If you cannot be bothered to do the work why should teachers waste time that could be used helping people who are struggling but want to work to 'motivate' you just because you could do it if you wanted.
    If you cannot be arsed to do the work then you do not deserve to do well. You cannot blame the teachers if you don't suceed. They go to school and do their job well, they teach you. If you cannot be bothered to take advantage of that then its your own tough shit. At the end of the day, you have the choice.
    Bollocks! Kids between the ages of 5 and 16 are just that ... kids. Peer pressure is hardly a rare phenomona, I bet there are very few people here who can honestly hold their hands up and say they have never given into it. I like to think I am fiercely individual person and go my own way but I have to admit there were times when I was younger that I gave into peer pressure. Its part of growing up. Unfortunatley this spills over into your school life and does hinder your learning for whatever reason. If you never experienced it or were strong enough to ignore it then good for you but not everyone was!

Bomberman444 ... why you put motivate in quotation marks like it was something that has no place in compulsory education is beyond me. Part of a teachers job is to motivate their students ... to get the best out of them. If you've always been a self motivated, ambitious person then fine but at the age of 12 - 15 some of us just weren't interested in learning about shakespeare or the periodic table and needed teachers to give us a nudge. This is part of their jobs!
    One of you has said that you were dragged down by the naughty kids, well I'm sorry, I went to the worse school in the county where around 85% of the school were brats. I never let the bad kids bring me down and I passed my exams and I'm now at University.
    Teachers do not have the time to motivate all those kids that cannot be bothered to do any work. Teachers should concentrate on those who actually want to do well rather than those who plan to live on the dole.
    Good for you. Not every one is as strong willed ... just because a kid lets themselves get side tracked by peer pressure does not mean they should be relegated to a 2nd rate education! For fuck's sake at that age of course kids are going to be influenced ... I did things when I was at school I wouldn't admit to anybody I know now ... you can't just judge a child at that age and then choose not to spend any time trying to motivate them to do well just because you think their not worth it! I'm positive most of my teachers in secondary school would have though along the same lines as you ... he doesn't try he's not worth it ... but luckily I got some great teachers in my 6th form college who did motivate me (and believe me it must have been a huge fucking trial for them) and I passed my exams and I'm now at uni too.

Thank fuck my teachers didn't have the same attitude as you and tell me they didn't have time to motivate me and that it was my own tough shit!

A teachers job is to motivate all their students. Not to spend more time on those who are less inclined to learn and less on those who are but equally not to spend more time on those who are self motivated and less on those who aren't!
  • Options
    Thank you for making so much more sense of the point i was trying to make.
  • Options
    a pleasure ;)
  • Options
    But why should the bone-idle get all the contact time and those who CAN be arsed working get none of it?

If kids are bone-idle then they have nobody to blame but themselves. If they don't motivate themselves then they only have themselves to blame.

I hate the way teachers are blamed if a kid can't be arsed. The only person who's fault it is is the pupil if they cannot be arsed. I don't care if they are just kids or not, if a kid doesn't put the effort in then the only person who is responsible and at fault is himself.

Part of the challenge of teaching is to motivate pupils, that isn't disputed. What is disputed is that those who are lazy can blame the teachers for getting distracted by sex, drink and drugs. Teachers are a guiding hand, but they are not responsible for motivation.
  • Options
    I dont think "bone idle" kids should get all the time at all...my point was that in my school the help,motivation and support was not dished out equally which i felt left me at a disadvantage.
    But it is all about being kid isnt it.
    How many people do you know that have said "oh god i really wish i had stuck in at school/hadnt gotten in withthe bad crowd/Put in a bit more effort".Almost everyone i know has at one point said something similar.Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    You cant expect a child of school age to understand the entire implications of their wrong actions.They arent mature enough.Therefore teachers need to do there most to motivate and "push" pupils into working to reach their potential.End of.
    You cant have one rule for some and an entirely different one for others.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But why should the bone-idle get all the contact time and those who CAN be arsed working get none of it?

Well (if that was in reply to me) I never said that ...
    Jon_UK wrote:
    A teachers job is to motivate all their students. Not to spend more time on those who are less inclined to learn and less on those who are but equally not to spend more time on those who are self motivated and less on those who aren't!
    Kermit wrote:
    If kids are bone-idle then they have nobody to blame but themselves. If they don't motivate themselves then they only have themselves to blame.

I hate the way teachers are blamed if a kid can't be arsed. The only person who's fault it is is the pupil if they cannot be arsed. I don't care if they are just kids or not, if a kid doesn't put the effort in then the only person who is responsible and at fault is himself.
    Don't get me wrong if a kid does fuck all then they only have themselves to blame. I wont argue with you there.
    Kermit wrote:
    Part of the challenge of teaching is to motivate pupils, that isn't disputed. What is disputed is that those who are lazy can blame the teachers for getting distracted by sex, drink and drugs. Teachers are a guiding hand, but they are not responsible for motivation.

However ... I don't think that just because a student isn't showing self motivation that they shouldn't be given motivation as Bomberman and Girl_interrupted seemed to be suggesting.

Teachers should be constantly trying to motivate their students .... if the students don't respond and get shit grades well that's the students fault BUT the teacher has to be constantly trying to get the best out of their students and if they are not performing then they have to try to find out why and help where they can. It is not their job to judge which students are worth their effort and neglect the others! Nor is it their job just to talk and let the students absorb it if they have a desire to do so.

They are not lecturers they are teachers and motivating their students ... regardless of how responsive their students are to this .... is an integral part of their job. If their students still get bad grades well then the teacher did their best and should take no blame.
  • Options
    You cant expect a child of school age to understand the entire implications of their wrong actions.They arent mature enough.Therefore teachers need to do there most to motivate and "push" pupils into working to reach their potential.End of.
    You cant have one rule for some and an entirely different one for others.

:yes: yeah that too!

Between us we might put up a half decent argument :p
  • Options
    You take children away from their parents and families, put them in a big box with bars around it and force them to learn boring rubbish, you will get demotivated kids. Simple as.

If the kids were there voluntarily then it would be different. They are not. They are to all intents and purposes prisoners. It's up to the teachers to motivate pupils, not the other way around, it's what they get paid for.

Weird how a school will take full credit for a pupil passing all their exams but when they fail it's because the pupil was useless in some way individually.
    I hate the way teachers are blamed if a kid can't be arsed.

I hate the way schools are praised when pupils do well. :yeees:
  • Options
    Neither me or Kermit or Girl Interrupted has said that people should have no motivation. Unless of course you are suggesting that at school some children get absolutely NO motivation. Every single child in every single school taught by a half decent teacher will be motivated to some extent.

At high school a lot of kids have already picked what high school they want so I am sure they can take responsibility for their own learning. It's funny how some people who I remember saying that the sex age limit and alcohol age limit should be lowered due to kids being able to take responsibility are now saying that they are not responsible for doing some studying?

So Jon are you trying to suggest that no teacher motivates their students? If you don't respond to the motivation because you are bone idol then it is indeed tough shit. How does it condemn you to a second rate education? If you are in a comprehensive (which if you open your eyes is what I said people should go to) then you can at any point decide to stop being a lazy arse and knuckle down.

Blaming your teachers for not having the motivation is bollocks. There are people on here who have done degrees whilst severly depressed and still succeeded.

If you don't have the willpower then tough shit.
  • Options
    At high school a lot of kids have already picked what high school they want so I am sure they can take responsibility for their own learning. It's funny how some people who I remember saying that the sex age limit and alcohol age limit should be lowered due to kids being able to take responsibility are now saying that they are not responsible for doing some studying?

Well I don't think sex/alcohol limit should be lowered. At 12 or 13 you cannot expect a child to fully appreciate the full consequences of dropping out/failing school. And as Klintock pointed out:
    klintock wrote:
    You take children away from their parents and families, put them in a big box with bars around it and force them to learn boring rubbish, you will get demotivated kids. Simple as.

If the kids were there voluntarily then it would be different. They are not. They are to all intents and purposes prisoners. It's up to the teachers to motivate pupils, not the other way around, it's what they get paid for.
    So Jon are you trying to suggest that no teacher motivates their students?

Umm ... no I really wasn't. I've re-read my posts and I don't see how you could think I was suggesting this?
    If you don't respond to the motivation because you are bone idol then it is indeed tough shit. How does it condemn you to a second rate education?
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Don't get me wrong if a kid does fuck all then they only have themselves to blame. I wont argue with you there.
    If you are in a comprehensive (which if you open your eyes is what I said people should go to) then you can at any point decide to stop being a lazy arse and knuckle down.

I wasn't arguing against your support for comprehensive I just didn't like your whole 'why should the teacher bother to motivate you' comment.
    Blaming your teachers for not having the motivation is bollocks. There are people on here who have done degrees whilst severly depressed and still succeeded.

:yeees: Students are not neatly separated into 3 categories of motivated, lazy and depressed.
    If you don't have the willpower then tough shit.

I sincerely hope you don't get into teaching!