Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where's it...all gone...!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got rather big problems...!

Basically, I've been away a week, I've come back...and things are gone - like big things are gone. My mother said she tried to clean up my comp of my crap - she pressed 'Disk Cleanup' or something. Ok, so I've taken a looksie at what's missing and it's like, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Paint...help would be much appreciated - how do I get this stuff back?

Thank you to anyone!

Malt

Comments

• Options
    I've got rather big problems...!

Basically, I've been away a week, I've come back...and things are gone - like big things are gone. My mother said she tried to clean up my comp of my crap - she pressed 'Disk Cleanup' or something. Ok, so I've taken a looksie at what's missing and it's like, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Paint...help would be much appreciated - how do I get this stuff back?

Thank you to anyone!

Malt

You can't delete something like IE without being more tech-savvy than your average mother. Are you sure she didn't just remove the shortcuts to these programs?

Use Windows Explorer (Windows Button + E) and check for:

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

If anything vital is missing then go to www.windowsupdate.com (which you should do every couple of weeks anyway) and see if anything major needs reinstalled.
  • Options
    You can't delete something like IE without being more tech-savvy than your average mother. Are you sure she didn't just remove the shortcuts to these programs?

Use Windows Explorer (Windows Button + E) and check for:

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

If anything vital is missing then go to www.windowsupdate.com (which you should do every couple of weeks anyway) and see if anything major needs reinstalled.

Legend, I've managed to do the outlook and internet explorer ones but paint has buggered off.

Mines not an average mother...the devil lurks within...thank you YouCrazyDiamond
  • Options
    She's done desktop time cleanup, not disk cleanup - it's removed shortcuts that haven't been used for a while. Click on start, then programs, then accessories then paint is in the next menu, just drag it to the desktop to add the shortcut
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    She's done desktop time cleanup, not disk cleanup - it's removed shortcuts that haven't been used for a while. Click on start, then programs, then accessories then paint is in the next menu, just drag it to the desktop to add the shortcut

Hullo again,

She hasn't done desktop clean up - as I've done that a few times - she has clicked disk cleanup. I followed the start - programmes - accessories - paint menu path and the only programme left is in there is notepad - even the calculator and such is missing. The microsoft games are missing too.

I usually know my way around but am not having my success. When, for example, I double click a photo, it comes up in the picture viewer, and you can click edit in paint - but it's opening up a window asking me to select from a list of other picture editing programmes that I have installed after getting the computer yonks ago, to become my default programme. Paint's not listed. Odd to say the least?
  • Options
    your mum truly has been cleaning the programmes up

silly moo
  • Options
    yet more proof that

mum + PC = bad
  • Options
    Erm.. disc clean up shouldn't remove programmes though... nor shortcuts...

On your desktop, do you have an "Unused" file. If so you may find your links there...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows components, tick the boxes. OK. done.

:D
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows components, tick the boxes. OK. done.

:D

Yar. You may need to put the windows xp cd in, or it might d/load the stuff off the net, depending.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Yar. You may need to put the windows xp cd in, or it might d/load the stuff off the net, depending.
    Erm, yeah. That bit too....