Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should The Police Man That Shot The Man on The Underground Face Charges?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    No it's not. It's called empathy.

And even if it was, that's how it should be. Emotion- empathy- should be affecting your opinion, otherwise it is possible to condone any atrocity.

Of course. But too much 'emapathy' can cloud a sensible opinion.
    Jon wrote:
    I'm sorry but I can't ever see a situation where I am going to agree that it is for the common good that an innoccent man can be killed by the very people that are supposed to be protecting him!

Neither do I.
    Has anybody here suggested that it's for the 'common good that an innocent man can be killed'? No.

It is however for the 'common good' that the police have the power and authority to shoot dead suicide bombers.

Don't get me wrong I think this was a monumental cock up by the poilce, but I don't think that the actual poilceman who shot the guy did anything else other than his job. He was given information to believe that his and many other lives were in danger, it should be those who supplied that wrong information who should be held accountable.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well how many in that case?

id rather risk the 2 lives than kill the innocent one

What exactly is the question you are asking?
  • Options
    how many lives are worth more than 1 innocent life?

2, 5, 10, 100, a million?

The moral dilemma is that those people blown up are also likely to be innocent. And how many of those innocents lives are you prepared to loose?
  • Options
    P&D can move fast - can't it as by the time I posted the discusssion had moved on
    well how many in that case?

id rather risk the 2 lives than kill the innocent one

Risking two lives is fine comparing to risking one innocent seems fine. But what about 50?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It is however for the 'common good' that the police have the power and authority to shoot dead suicide bombers.

But they don't! They have the power to shoot dead suspected suicide bombers! This is dealing out punishment before a crime has been committed and mistakes are going to happen! How can this possibly for the common good?
    Skive wrote:
    Of course. But too much 'emapathy' can cloud a sensible opinion.

And I think this is exactly the problem. People are so afraid at the prospect of another bomb, of being caught up in it or someone they know being caught up in it that they can let this terrible thing slide. If empathy is clouding sensible opinion then it is doing it in favour of allowing a shoot to kill policy!
    Skive wrote:
    Don't get me wrong I think this was a monumental cock up by the poilce, but I don't think that the actual poilceman who shot the guy did anything else other than his job. He was given information to believe that his and many other lives were in danger, it should be those who supplied that wrong information who should be held accountable.

As I've already said I think that the amount of responsibility he takes has to depend on the circumstances surrounding the whole thing. I don't neccessarily disagree with you but until what actually happens comes to light I can't really make up my mind.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    How can this possibly for the common good?

If the bloke had been a suicide bomber.

I don't disagree with the policy to kill suspected bombers as long as there is enough credible reason to believe that they are a real risk to the public.

I am worried that the intelligence in this case was so obviously flimsy yet the police still decided to give the copper the go ahead to shoot.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i agree that it's the person/people who provided the false information who should be charged, though saying that 7 bullets in the head is a tad extreme, 3 maybe, but 7..bit trigger happy imo
  • Options

Skive, what is this if not emotive?

He wasn't a bomber, it's not relevant to the case at all.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

If he's shot dead before committing a crime then how would you ever know? What if he decides that what he was going to do is wrong? I just can't see how it can be right to shoot dead someone who hasn't actually committed a crime yet!

Granted these guys have got to be stopped but shooting dead someone because you *think* (because lets face it they're never going to be completley 100% about it) that the target is a suicide bomber is just wrong!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Skive, what is this if not emotive?

He wasn't a bomber, it's not relevant to the case at all.

He was quoting me i.e. when could it be for the common good to shoot... I think this comment was in support of the shoot to kill policy rather than applying to this specific case?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i agree that it's the person/people who provided the false information who should be charged, though saying that 7 bullets in the head is a tad extreme, 3 maybe, but 7..bit trigger happy imo

You think the gaver took pleasure in putting 7 bullets in somebody?

The SAS are trained to 'overkill' there targets. I'm sure the training for these coppers isn't much different.

I really fail to see how the number of bullets makes any difference.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    He was quoting me i.e. when could it be for the common good to shoot... I think this comment was in support of the shoot to kill policy rather than applying to this specific case?

Thank you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You think the gaver took pleasure in putting 7 bullets in somebody?

The SAS are trained to 'overkill' there targets. I'm sure the training for these coppers isn't much different.

I really fail to see how the number of bullets makes any difference.

put yourself in the position of a cop, you're standing over a suspected terrorist, just try to imitate shooting 8 bullets towards someone's head, it's very extreme...3 maybe, 8, 7 headshots is too much really

it makes the difference between a proffessional job and a frenzied kill
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    it makes the difference between a proffessional job and a frenzied kill

But that is proffessional. One or two shots even to the head is not a guaranteed kill.

And I still don't understand what difference it makes. The copper aimed to kill the bloke and that's exactly what he did.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Wouldn't it have been better if they'd actually the right bloke?
  • Options
    Shooting copper facing charges? Not quite...

Free holiday for policeman who shot Brazilian

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Let's hope its not to Brazil...
  • Options
    i think its only fair, he might be guilty of something in a trial, but at the hands of a misguided policy, and the fact he was doing his job
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Let's hope its not to Brazil...
    :lol:
  • Options
    BTW, didn't he have an automatic pistol? So he wouldn't have deliberately aimed all 8 shots, just put the gun to the guy and squeezed the trigger so to speak... *shrugs* petty point :p just saying
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Given our scumbag print media, I can't really blame then for doing this. The fuckers would only camp on their doorstep making the family's life hell... we need to remember that it wasn't his wife and kids who pulled the trigger...
  • Options
    They've got warnings up now at least :p

notice.jpg
  • Options
    They've got warnings up now at least :p

notice.jpg

i think thats a bit of irony by some bored LU worker :p
  • Options
    Translated:

"Dear Sheep, kindly form orderly queues and move only in a leisurely manner so that we might have an easier time controlling you. Don't exercise any liberties, we will tell you what you may or may not do and you will simply comply or be shot.

This notice is a demonstration of our increased self-assumed power. Thank you for your continued acquiescence and complacency."

hmmm... sounds alot like the societal standards of a certain Reich we were raised to believe would never again occur. How history doth repeat itself.
  • Options
    BTW, didn't he have an automatic pistol? So he wouldn't have deliberately aimed all 8 shots, just put the gun to the guy and squeezed the trigger so to speak... *shrugs* petty point :p just saying

john snow was interviewing a former so19 officer on ch4 news the other nite, and he said the pistols they were using were self-loading, not automatic, that means he would have had to pull the trigger 8 times.......but like you say, it's by the by......
  • Options
    Translated:

"Dear Sheep, kindly form orderly queues and move only in a leisurely manner so that we might have an easier time controlling you. Don't exercise any liberties, we will tell you what you may or may not do and you will simply comply or be shot.

This notice is a demonstration of our increased self-assumed power. Thank you for your continued acquiescence and complacency."

hmmm... sounds alot like the societal standards of a certain Reich we were raised to believe would never again occur. How history doth repeat itself.

More paranoid delusions? ;)

I think you'll find that it was a bit of black comedy by someone bored.

Who said Americans don't understand our sense of humour? :thumb:
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    john snow was interviewing a former so19 officer on ch4 news the other nite, and he said the pistols they were using were self-loading, not automatic, that means he would have had to pull the trigger 8 times.......but like you say, it's by the by......

If I thought he was about to blow himself up then I wouldn't have stopped at 5 shots either.

If he's dead he's dead. It was a tragic mistake but partly his own fault.
  • Options
    Nothing paranoid about it friend. Just recognising the signs of historic repetition.

Oh, I understand British humour quite well thanks!
  • Options
    It was a tragic mistake but partly his own fault.

Good, blame the victim. :rolleyes:

Remember your words when the axe unjustly falls on you or someone you care for deeply.
  • Options
    Nothing paranoid about it friend. Just recognising the signs of historic repetition.

Oh, I understand British humour quite well thanks!

Funny how so many people claim to be able to spot the signs of history repeating itself, most often to do with the Nazis.

The Loony Left claim we are turning into the Fourth Reich, while the far right claim that every random dictator they want to attack will be the next Hitler.

Both a load of old cobblers really.