Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Androgyny and gender roles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So here we are in the twenty first century with our wide screen televisions, Adidas and in the UK, a country where both men and women are entitled to the minimum wage. We have had the appearance already of the metrosexual, we have ladies taking mechanic courses in college and male secretaries, single parent fathers and female breadwinners where the house-husband stays at home to cook and clean. Of course these changes are only subtle, but is society evolving to become more androgynous? Are gender roles very slowly breaking down?

Is it still seen as wrong for a man to cry? Can a woman be ambitious in her career and not be seen as selfish for not wanting to stay at home and start a family?

This article, whilst short and sweet displays a little insight on the matter of the idea of androgyny. Where a person can be high in what is thought of as masculine and feminine traits. Are more people these days becoming 'androgynous'?

In fact, are men and women that different on the grounds of emotion and psychology? Or are we culturally conditioned in to adopting these traits?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    peopel are becoming more androdgynous in appeareance definetly, and i think its abd thing like we're all beomcing one person and not being who we are so to speak, like noone of any extremes or anything
  • Options
    The demise of social stereotyping (something which I think is grossly overstated anyway) doesn't equate to androdgyny.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The demise of social stereotyping (something which I think is grossly overstated anyway) doesn't equate to androdgyny.

no im not saying that, im quite happy for people to be and act how theywant, it seems everyones landing up to be the same homogenous pulp, when like food its best savouring them seperately in most occasions
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The demise of social stereotyping.

there's a demise? i believe males and females are still required by their peers to adhere to certain stereotypes like "big boys don't cry" though i believe generally that we as humans have no shame in carrying out our desires for life, some men like to take care of the children and cook, some women are very ambitious and work orientated, they're willing to chase their dreams these days whereas 20 years ago they wouldn't...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    there's a demise?

I don't think there is either, but MoonRat seems to be implying that gender pigeonholing is not as prevalent now.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think there is either, but MoonRat seems to be implying that gender pigeonholing is not as prevalent now.
    I still believe it exists, obviously. I just asked a lot of rhetorical questions in what I wrote. I'll put my own opinions later.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

in the media it isnt, apart from when its oaky like calling a guy a big girls blouse or whatever

there is a such thing a feminine heterosexual guy you know ;)
  • Options
    there is a such thing a feminine heterosexual guy you know ;)
    It's funny though because it seems that these days, it's Ok for a guy to be 'feminine' and seen as sexy, whereas a 'masculine' woman will be stereotyped as gay or a minger.
  • Options
    It's funny though because it seems that these days, it's Ok for a guy to be 'feminine' and seen as sexy, whereas a 'masculine' woman will be stereotyped as gay or a minger.

Like Emo boys .... ? They are allegedly straight but are quite androgynous ... and considered sexy by many ...
  • Options

Straight men aren't naturally attracted to masculine women. That can't be attributed to social environment either.

As for emo boys...any emo boy i've met has swung both ways.
  • Options

in what sense mauscline, i like women who like sex and are happy to be pervy, thats considered a mauscline trait, my mate like girls who are willing to stand up for themselves and not take crap and are generally leary

im sure women dont like super vain over self conscious guys like guys dont tend to like girls who have mauscline' tastes, people like who they l;ike and not everyones the same so enjoy those differences ;):)

still though theres normally someone for everyone :p
  • Options
    So here we are in the twenty first century with our wide screen televisions, Adidas and in the UK, a country where both men and women are entitled to the minimum wage. We have had the appearance already of the metrosexual, we have ladies taking mechanic courses in college and male secretaries, single parent fathers and female breadwinners where the house-husband stays at home to cook and clean. Of course these changes are only subtle, but is society evolving to become more androgynous? Are gender roles very slowly breaking down?

Is it still seen as wrong for a man to cry? Can a woman be ambitious in her career and not be seen as selfish for not wanting to stay at home and start a family?

This article, whilst short and sweet displays a little insight on the matter of the idea of androgyny. Where a person can be high in what is thought of as masculine and feminine traits. Are more people these days becoming 'androgynous'?

In fact, are men and women that different on the grounds of emotion and psychology? Or are we culturally conditioned in to adopting these traits?

Discuss.

Gender differences are culturally enforced to an extent, but that doesn't mean there isn't prevalent natural difference. You see it throughout nature.

There are obvious chemical differences for a start (testosterone etc) which create difference, and thinking in evolutionary terms, it's clear the sexes differ.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Straight men aren't naturally attracted to masculine women. That can't be attributed to social environment either.

As for emo boys...any emo boy i've met has swung both ways.

What are "masculine women"?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Male and female depends on wether you have a cock or vagina.

Plenty of men have boobs. :lol: Although, not in the traditional manner.

Either way, masculinity or femeninity is a different matter, as is sexuality.
  • Options
    I am quite masculine at times. i'm also very much not at times, but either way people still find me sexy. my ex prefered me being masculine.