Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK boy wrongly labelled as bomber

Basically the Pakistani authorities released a photostat of this 16-year-old boy's passport instead of that of one of the bombers.

Story.

Amazing how people trust GOvernment "intelligence".
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a contradiction in terms, isn't it?
  • Options
    Similarly that article is an example of the BBC's now often questionable coverage.

See here - makes quite a lot of sense. (Top of page)
  • Options
    Good to see the abject lack of proof of this "memo" though.
  • Options
    Yeah but being a Muslim paki obviously maks you a suicide bomber :rolleyes:

We should shoot them all then the UK would be a better place obviously.
  • Options
    Similarly that article is an example of the BBC's now often questionable coverage.

See here - makes quite a lot of sense. (Top of page)
    Confusingly, that took me halfway down the page, but it was all very interesting. Having said that, Stephen Pollard is a 'fat fuck', isn't he? So I can't question Peter Marshall's 'expert' opinion on that...
  • Options
    As for the BBC's 'bias', check out this link to a 'Today' programme interview with Controller Michael Grade on Tuesday. You'll need to click on the bit that says 'BBC governers' (at '0750'), and where the audioclip is measured by seven increments, forward it to about five and a half. If anyone knows how to save such clips, and bits of clips, to computer, like this, I'd be grateful to know. It's useful at times.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Confusingly, that took me halfway down the page, but it was all very interesting. Having said that, Stephen Pollard is a 'fat fuck', isn't he? So I can't question Peter Marshall's 'expert' opinion on that...

True he is...But at least Stephen Pollard is pretty honest about his bias. He writes for the Daily Mail... :rolleyes:

Our national newspapers are partisan and don't really make any attempt to cover that up. The BBC pretends to be impartial and neutral and well it clearly isn't which is why many have a problem with it. And with newspapers at least we have a choice, I don't like the politics of the Daily Mail so I don't buy it. That doesn't exist with the BBC, we can't make a choice. I wonder how people would feel if you had to buy the Guardian to read the Telegraph.
  • Options
    And with newspapers at least we have a choice, I don't like the politics of the Daily Mail so I don't buy it. That doesn't exist with the BBC, we can't make a choice. I wonder how people would feel if you had to buy the Guardian to read the Telegraph.

I'd agree with that, the BBC should be shut down and sold off.

I don't think its as biased as all the other news sources, but I deeply resent being forced to pay for it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd agree with that, the BBC should be shut down and sold off.
    Fair enough that you believe it should be sold off/made private, but shut down?

Bearing in mind that the BBC is still by far the best all-round broadcasting organisation in the entire world, and about 75 trillion times better than any other channel found in Britain? What should we do with the likes of ITV or the dreadful Sky 1?
  • Options
    The BBC pretends to be impartial and neutral and well it clearly isn't which is why many have a problem with it. And with newspapers at least we have a choice, I don't like the politics of the Daily Mail so I don't buy it. That doesn't exist with the BBC, we can't make a choice.
    Eh? :confused:

Does your TV set has one channel only, and is it permenently set to the BBC signal?

You do have exactly the same choice with the BBC, in any shape whasoever (TV, radio, website) as you do with national newspapers. If you don't like it you don't have to watch/listen/read it. You can choose plenty of other broadcasters.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Eh? :confused:

Does your TV set has one channel only, and is it permenently set to the BBC signal?

You do have exactly the same choice with the BBC, in any shape whasoever (TV, radio, website) as you do with national newspapers. If you don't like it you don't have to watch/listen/read it. You can choose plenty of other broadcasters.

You don't have to watch/listen/read it, but you do have to pay for it.
  • Options
    Yeah but when is a corporation catering for the needs of tens of millions of people going to seem objective to all of them?

From my experience, for every person I've ever met who complains of the BBC being biased I've met 100 who think the opposite.

The fact that both the left and right, government and opposition, pro-Israeli and pro-Palestinian and so on complain of the BBC being biased towards the other side can only mean that the corproation is actually pretty much impartial. That's how it has always come across to me anyway.
  • Options
    Personally I think different programmes have different biases. Today on R4 has a left-wing bias, Nicky Campbell on R5 is more right wing. So overall I would tend to agree its not biased.

However it is public funded and if we have a TV we don't have any choice about paying whether we watch it or not. Its important that not only is it not biased, but it is seen not to be biasec and takes complaints more seriously than it seems to at the moment.
  • Options
    The problem with that though is that it will never please everybody. It's virtually impossible. Different people have different views, tastes and beliefs. Someone is bound to be offended by something, however inocuous it might seem to you and me. Some activist supporting certain cause is almost always going to see a bias on the BBC reporting the cause in question. Take the Israeli-Palestinian conflict for instance.

I understand to people objecting to having to pay for it though. It doesn't bother me because I think it's money well spent and it sets the BBC apart from all other broadcasters in terms of quality of service.
  • Options
    How impartial or otherwise the BBC is irrelevant.

I disagree completely with the views of, to name a few, Jim Davidson, Andrew Marr and Jeremy Paxman. If it was a newspaper I wouldn't buy it with those people in it, if it was a commercial channel I wouldn't watch those people.

But with the BBC I have to still pay for it. It is grotesquely immoral for me to have to pay one non-accountable company a fee in order to receive the services of another company. It is, as I've said before, akin to me having to pay Odeon £4 to be allowed to go and watch a film at the independent cinema, or having to pay Tesco a fiver to shop at the local co-op.

The BBC should have every single penny of its public funding stopped, and it should be forced to survive on its own two feet like everyone else has to. The pay cunts like davidson and Norton such obscene wages because they don't have the self-discipline and control that commercial needs bring. The local newsreader in Yorkshire earns £600,000 per year of my money to do fuck all.

So what if the Beeb can't balance its books, it just wangs up the costs of the TV Tax.

The BBC is morally unjustifiable in this modern world. That said, I did enjoy Coast last night, and I would probably end up taking out a subscription to BBC services.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Basically the Pakistani authorities released a photostat of this 16-year-old boy's passport instead of that of one of the bombers.

Story.

Amazing how people trust GOvernment "intelligence".
    five bullets int thed would have been ok when such understanable errors are made.
  • Options
    Off topic..

but that boy is from my town. Lucky him.
  • Options
    We should shoot them all then the UK would be a better place obviously.

Looks like that's what we're now trying to do...