Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I am not a free man

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Joy of joys.

Erosion is a gradual process...

Comments

• Options
    A bomb blowing you to pieces tends to be a lot quicker though.

Seriously, though this doesn't bother me in the slightest because I can see it will have a positive impact on reducing the risk of me or others becoming a victim of crime or terrorism. And the impact on my civil liberties are minor compared to the lives it could potentially save.

ID cards are a different matter because I can't see them being able to have much impact on terrorism and so they are an infringement on civil liberties with no corresponding gain.
  • Options
    Joy of joys.

Erosion is a gradual process...
    It won't really affect you. You're white.
  • Options
    I've been stopped a couple of time at road blocks in London in the last year, so I'm guessing this is more about the surrounding areas getting the same powers as the Met.
  • Options
    strangely enough if someone wanted to do something now everyones on alert, i dont think a couple of police officers on the street would notice, only good intelligence can help prevent it, so its a worthless power, and thus a bad erosion of civil liberties
  • Options
    :thumb:

This new power will be abused. I'm in Dover later this week. I'm putting money on my being stopped, just because they can now.

Until today I could refuse to stop, this makes that arrestable.
  • Options
    sounds to me like you boys have gotten your own version of the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act. We've been having all kinds of fun with it over here, so enjoy.
  • Options
    But if you've got nothing to hide you've gopt nothing to fear!

The police are completely trustworthy and never break the rules or the law!

Civil liberties arguments are old-fashioned!
  • Options
    But if you've got nothing to hide you've gopt nothing to fear!

If you've got nothing to hide they arrest you for indecent exposure.
  • Options
    Did you know that if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you?

:razz:
  • Options
    Did you know that if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you?

Did you know it's unlawful over here? But not illegal. :confused:

Personaly I think we should be encouraging this kind of initiative and wanting more. The sooner they usher in a full on police state the sooner it'll get told to fuck off and we can get back to something like normal.

Microchips anyone? Anal probes before using public transport? GPS installed in your rectum? >sigh<
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Did you know it's unlawful over here? But not illegal. :confused:
    Yeah, what is the difference? I thought policemen already could search you if they "suspected" anything...

(BTW, you probably noticed but I was quoting John Travolta in Pulp Fiction earlier- that car conversation always makes me laugh).
    Personaly I think we should be encouraging this kind of initiative and wanting more. The sooner they usher in a full on police state the sooner it'll get told to fuck off and we can get back to something like normal.

Microchips anyone? Anal probes before using public transport? GPS installed in your rectum? >sigh<
    Mmm... the problem is that full on police states could prove difficult to get rid of, once they're fully in place. Not a bright prospect...
  • Options
    Still, at least blanket curfews have been declared outlawed.

Not that the police will care one jot.
  • Options
    Yeah, what is the difference? I thought policemen already could search you if they "suspected" anything...

It's a common law vs statutory law thing I think. Kermie would know better than me I am sure. basically a policeman is just a guy in a suit with no more power than any other guy but paid to keep the peace under common law. So if it was lawful, anyone would have the same powers (in theory) statutory law has more imaginary garbage in it.

Hmmm I could just do with a "Le Big Mac" right now. They do wonders for a hangover....
  • Options
    I dont see what actual difference this makes, the stop and search laws are a bad joke at the best of times.

"We've had a report (by a person we dont have to ever name) of a person fitting your description (standing up and looking black) handling drugs/stolen goods/etc and we would like to search you."

If you disagree its down the nick with you and on with the glove.