Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British gas outsource 1,000 jobs to India

Story.

Ruining people just to grab that extra little bit of profit: that is why the capitalism we have is so abhorrent.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Now we can watch as the unions bitch and moan and threaten strikes rather than actually help their members re-train and get jobs elsewhere.
  • Options
    I suspect its rather good for Indians, British Gas shareholders and customers. hardly seems a damning indictment of capitalism to me...
  • Options
    So people who cpontribute nothing are more important than those who work hard for a company?

The lack of social respect at the expense of profit for the few seems very damning.
  • Options
    When it’s cheaper to employ somebody educated to degree level in India than employ someone in Britain who might not even have many qualifications it’s inevitable. I don’t think it’s abhorrent, it’s just natural. If you run a business and you can employ somebody else who is better qualified for less money it makes sense. And those affected by this hopefully will find other jobs, unemployment is low; there are jobs out there for them.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So people who cpontribute nothing are more important than those who work hard for a company?

The lack of social respect at the expense of profit for the few seems very damning.
    Shareholders have contributed their financial resources.

I apologise if by people contribuitng nothing you weren't actually talking about the shareholders, but the union bosses - because then I agree with you.

On another note you could say that the benefits to India by gaining 1000 jobs both to individuals and the economy outweighs the losses to the UK.
  • Options
    Indian economic growth probably isnt all that much comfort to those workers though is it.

I can see both sides, protectionist policies are normally expencive and dont work, but unchecked capitalism is brutal and harsh.

Of course its easy to complain about jobs going elsewhere, but the flip side to this global economy is TV's from china at £50 or cheap t-shirts and cars.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Shareholders have contributed their financial resources.

What actual work have shareholders done?

Or are you saying that them making money on having money is acceptable behaviour?
    I apologise if by people contribuitng nothing you weren't actually talking about the shareholders, but the union bosses - because then I agree with you.

Much as I dislike union bosses, I';d say they contribute far more than shareholders who leach money away from those who have earned it.
    On another note you could say that the benefits to India by gaining 1000 jobs both to individuals and the economy outweighs the losses to the UK.

But that would be wrong too.

Indian workers are getting exploited just as much. Again, they are not getting the full worth of their employment.

Shareholders are doing it to line their pockets at the expense of the rest of humanity.
  • Options
    I presume you want a pension at some point Kermit, you know who most of those worthless shareholders are.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Or are you saying that them making money on having money is acceptable behaviour?

If its not acceptable to you dont ever take out a loan or use a bank.
  • Options
    Shareholders should always come last in my book. The interests of the workers of a company (the very people who make a success story possible) should always be placed above speculators and investors.

I must say I have very little sympathy for shareholders who moan about losing fortunes when something goes wrong. I despise the whole stock exchange/shares system- it is a necessary evil at best, and it only seeks to benefit investors at the expense of workers and consumers.
  • Options
    its billing and admin going, hmm not sure what to think, should be able to find more work