Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need advice for MSc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just finished a degree in computer science and want to study for a masters. I'm not really sure what I should study and where.

I know that the general advice for masters is not to do one unless you're really sure and it is required for specific a job. But I really enjoy learning new things for the sake of understanding.

I appreciate that I should talk to a career advisor, but I just wanted general opinions.

1) I'm thinking any masters course is an advantage when finally looking for a real job, would you agree?

2) If I decided to study somthing like computer engineering/electrical engineering, which is basically computer hardware, where-as my cs degree was mostly software. Will this be better in the long run? since I'll have knowledge of both sides of the field? or should I stick to software?

This is a tricky question I know, but I've always liked learning and have just got on with it, I dont think it would really bother me which course I actually did, as long as it challenged me.

3) I lived at home for my degree, and have the oppertunity to do the same for the MSc. This would save me a lot of money, but I'd have no social life (which I dont really have anyway) with the commute to central London. Would you say it's more important that I finally learn to meet new people by moving away and living in halls? or stay at home and just study hard but join a few clubs etc? I never got involved with uni life the first time

4) Would you say Imperial College or UCL has a better reputation/teaching quality? where can I get actual leaguw tables?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    phishfood wrote:
    4) Would you say Imperial College or UCL has a better reputation/teaching quality? where can I get actual leaguw tables?
    As a UCL student I know it's better than most for my degree (archaeology) but have to concede that Imperial has the good rep for sciences. As for league tables, have a hunt around the Times Education Supplement or Education Guardian.

And I would thoroughly recommend getting involved in the uni, it's been wonderful for me as a first-year undergraduate. Your social life will be easier if you're not relying on catching the last train all the time.
  • Options
    From a career point of view I think doing an MSc will always help frankly, especially with the larger number opf undergrads, having a postgrad helps you stand out even if the job you end up doing isn't directly related.

Also if you wanted to do PhD, be a lecturer etc then it is a prerequisite