Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Inexperienced Drinker in need.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
How quickly can ... a 50% drink get you drunk?

How many shots/glasses/whatever, you think, and what is the maximum-ish?
All replies appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends how well you take your alcohol.

But 50% is pretty strong, shouldnt take you many to get wasted.

I dont touch spirits myself.
    Thanks for the quick reply Matadore. Appreciated. :thumb:
    depends how much you drink, how quickly, what your tolerances are, how much food you have had etc

i mean pints get me drunk very quickly, but spirits dont
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    to protect yourself physicaly add a drop of water or juice.
    good whiskey is under 50% so your drinking very strong gear ...i'll bet you end up completely monged.
    ...i'll bet you end up completely monged.

Haha, I know I would.

I don't know how quickly a 50% drink will get you drunk, but a sniff of it would probably KO me ;) The only advice I'd give you is to pace yourself, have a shot or whatever and see how it effects you (how quickly, to what extent etc) and take it from there. Don't go downing half a bottle and making a late-night trip to A&E, be sensible and you'll have no worries.
    Inexperienced? Talk about the deep end! If you're that inexperienced just put 5 pints down your neck, the worst that could happen is that you'll throw up 15 minutes after you go to bed and wake up with The 'Gover.
    spirits are bad news, but good fun too.. they messed up my grandad, hes now gets around in his mobility scooter, fucking quality
    Call me a dull bastard but I prefer a nice Pint of English bitter.
    Don't get me wrong, I love a good pint of Old Speckled Hen every now and again but for sheer speed drinking enjoyment it's gotta be a Jack and Coke.

The combination of epilepsy and advocaat was the reason my grandad managed to fall off his mobility scooter. Twice!
    in pubs i prefer pints...

50%...eh 3 shots should get you happy, it all depends really, no one is the same
    If you are not used to drinking then you wont be able to do shots of 50%vol, you wont be used to it and it will burn your throat.

Put it in a mixer, it will help with the taste and by elongating it you stretch out the time over which you drink it.
    Cheers for the replies.

To mongdom I go!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you are drinking alcohol of that strength you really need to be careful, it would be very easy to poison youself, which would lead to A & E and stomach pumping at best. Very nasty experience that I'm sure you don't want to have.
    50% aint that bad....i mean you can buy Blue Label Smirnoff thats just about that...so its not like its Absinthe from the deepest darkest cellars of Belgium or sumthing....but i do agree with the rest of the folks: mix it with something. If nothing else it'll make it easier to drink than doing straight shots....
    Personal favourite for me is some of the previously mentioned Vodka and a 2 litre bottle of coke....careful mixing and your jolly indeed.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Keeping in mind that the title of the thread is 'inexperienced drinker in need' I thought it better to err on the side of caution.
    Yeah, I appreciate the thought. Would I need to mix considering I'll probably be slowly, over time, sipping adding up to around 2 shots. If I employed the previous tactic, would I be utterly monged or just slightly tipsy. Any estimates? I'm only intending on getting tipsy bordering on drunk.. A general shot count for that level would be appreciated.

Cheers again.
    obviously drinking it raw will make you more monged but that leaves you in risk of getting alcohol poison, i'd suggest getting a glass and putting about a shots worth in it, then fill it up with coke or something like that, then sip, that way you'll know when you've reached your limit and if you want to continue

or you could go all out and just down it like a mad man which is not advisable at all, it just sounds pretty funny...
    and remember the alcohl buzz is very deceptive.
    when you have drank enough to feel great ...you will want to stay feeling that way and thats when you start drinking more ...loose track and drink more ...and end up in trouble.
    and remember the alcohl buzz is very deceptive.
    when you have drank enough to feel great ...you will want to stay feeling that way and thats when you start drinking more ...loose track and drink more ...and end up in trouble.

i love it :D
    Sonofagun wrote:
    Yeah, I appreciate the thought. Would I need to mix considering I'll probably be slowly, over time, sipping adding up to around 2 shots. If I employed the previous tactic, would I be utterly monged or just slightly tipsy. Any estimates? I'm only intending on getting tipsy bordering on drunk.. A general shot count for that level would be appreciated.

Cheers again.

its so wildly different that its not possible to estimate.....whether your a guy or a gal, what youve eaten, how much you've eaten, when you ate, how tired you are, what mood your in.....and more things i cant even think of. Toooo many variables.....like Turlough said: Shot in a glass, top it off wwith coke, juice, whatever and drink til you feel good.

Peace
    What alcohol is it?
    why dont you take a shot ... wait a while ..see how it goes ... take another shot ... wait a while ... see how it goes and decide whether or not you need another shot

sounds like a pretty foolproof plan to me!