Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Revealed: how drugs war failed

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
The Guardian have just published a leaked report from a government Strategy Unit study that details how the curent drugs legislation is failing to stop trafficking. Read the article and report here .

What do people think of the governments' decision not to release half of the report under the Freedom of Information act, and the Guardian's decision to publish it anyway?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw this a couple of days ago on another board like this, I should have posted it here.

I'm more surprised that they investigated it at all, everyone knows its a monumental failure, I would have thought that it would be stupid to look into it.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    But they can't take any action unless they have considered all the outcomes of the current policies, its just the way it works...
    Yes they can, they have done for the last 30 years, just make it up, surely thats the way its done?

No one who actually thought about the issue could come up with the Misuse of Drugs Act.
    I dont mean to be glib, I just assumed that no proper studies of the effectiveness of the drug laws were done, otherwise we wouldnt have them as we do.

I am concerned about possible forced treatment, it only ever works if people want to stop.

And anyway, heroin should be on script.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I know why you are concerned, but if they don't go through these processes to evaluate why these laws don't work they won't come up with viable alternatives. And lets face it, whatever laws are developed from here (or not) are going to be a compromise between wildy opposed views, that is just how it works.

It is a cumbersome and slow legislatory system, but it is better than some of the alternatives. Call me a hopeless optomist, but its a start.
    It is that, you never know maybe the UN might look at whether international law is working at some point.

What is depressing is that this should be a huge story, we blow billions of pounds of tax payers money on this. And of course its failure causes a large percentage of crime. But people dont care, or at least they care little.

Though I'm still to hear a decent thing to do about cocaine, I really have no idea and I'm not sure anyone else does either.
    "Drug users are estimated to commit 36m drug-motivated crimes each year, 56% of the total number of crimes"

It says. Puts it in perspective doesnt it.
    thanks for the link.... v interesting!!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,285 Skive's The Limit
    You should post this in politics.
    Weekender Offender 
    read it this morning and as far as i'm concerned it is what everyone has known for a very very long time already.
    if i can remember what i was reading the other day ...the united nations are actualy talking of needed change so i'll see if i can find a link.
    cocain? legalize it of course.
    cocaine? legalize it of course.

Would cheaper, pure cocaine more easily available be a good idea? I doubt it. But then the current situation isnt exactly great either.
    "30,000 people (10% of heroin and/or crack users) commit: 21m offences per year (an average of 680 offences each per year) around a third of the volume of all crime"

Nice to know isnt it.