Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how did we live without the internet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
maybe it's just me getting old, but i've noticed an increasing number of people who seem to be totally dependent on these boards.

don't get me wrong, i think they're great for finding the answers to your burning questions, or just finding out what colour everyone's pants are, but there are posters who don't seem to be able to do so much as fart without asking the prior permission/opinion of the boards.

how did we cope without?

Comments

• Options
    I often think i would be able to cope less with life had the internet been invented sooner.

I swear if i was a teenager now i'd never need to leave my bedroom - and omg i had soo much fun as a teenager - its so much fun out there in the big wide world kids.
  • Options
    I know what you mean. One of my previous housemates sorted it out for us all to be networked in the house and connected to Broadband, which was great. However when he moved out, taking all that with him, I really did notice how much time I used to spend on it and how "lost" I felt in the evenings without it to keep me amused. It's ridiculous considering how much I use the net at work (like now) - I check thesite.org regularly (not to mention many other sites) when I should be working, I dread to think how much time I spend surfing the net every day. I'm actually quite glad now though that I don't have the internet at home any more...it means I do more productive stuff in the evenings like practise my bass, read, go out with my mates or whatever, and don't spend even more hours staring at a screen.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I often think i would be able to cope less with life had the internet been invented sooner.

I swear if i was a teenager now i'd never need to leave my bedroom - and omg i had soo much fun as a teenager - its so much fun out there in the big wide world kids.

Aye, it seems like kids go from internet, to drunk and having sex these days!

Whatever happened to playing out with your mates - NOT vandalising everything?!

[/crass generalisation mode]
  • Options
    I concur. I played "it" with my mates and had to come in when it was dark, ie the street lamps were coming on. How is such behaviour no longer the norm?
  • Options
    i remember gas lights and cobbles ...
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I Remember when this was all fields.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I Remember when this was all fields.
    and a pint was one and ninepence ...
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    one n nine?

Prices these days :(

I remember when you had to walk for 3 days and 4 nights just to get the pub.
  • Options
    andt milk were delivered on 'orse un cart.
  • Options
    i remember what the old carpet looked like in here
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i remember what the old carpet looked like in here
    often covered in ants.
  • Options
    often covered in ants.

hi dad! :wave: how ya doin?
  • Options
    fuck me (no dont really) - I've just seend your post count - when on earth did the happen?!
  • Options
  • Options
    badabing wrote:
    hi dad! :wave: how ya doin?
    hello my long lost daughter ...you got parole then?

the post count rocketed whilst i was putting my plans together for world domination.
    i don't come in as often now as i'm out putting those plans into action ...and making loads of dosh ...don't tell your mother she'll be after twenty years of maintenance money!
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more. People don't seem able to make their own decisions these days. It isn't just the internet... it's society in general. People sneeze and they have to seek medical advice!

I've had the net at home for about 8 years now so can't really remember teenage years without it, but I didn't go online as much as I do now. If I were a younger teen now I think things would be much different.
  • Options
    hello my long lost daughter ...you got parole then?

the post count rocketed whilst i was putting my plans together for world domination.
    i don't come in as often now as i'm out putting those plans into action ...and making loads of dosh ...don't tell your mother she'll be after twenty years of maintenance money!

oh my goodness me you remembered how old I am! oh father!

I am well, spudnik is getting old and i am getting wise, however living it up like i never took a break!

looks like you have some competition with the world domination thing... like father like daughter eh. wheres this money coming from them mister? i wouldnt mind if you wanted to pay something towards my degree... or my massive amount of debt already accumlated in my pre-higher education years...
  • Options
    badabing wrote:

i wouldnt mind if you wanted to pay something ...
    now come on ...you know me better than that!
    when i'm dead i'll leave you all something ...unless i can figure a way of taking it with me of course ...
    sold some swamp ...invested money into waste management/control.
    do you realise how much rubbish is on the move in this green and pleasant land!
  • Options
    do you realise how much rubbish is on the move in this green and pleasant land!

...its the future i tell thee
  • Options
    badabing wrote:
    ...its the future i tell thee
    where theres muck theres brass.
  • Options
    where theres muck theres brass.

wheres there's you there's hash!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The main reason I got attached to the net at one point was because practically all my friends and "friends" had left me. It's only lately that it seems to be going better again, and you might notice I don't appear as often as I used to.
    Of course though I might start coming too often again regardless of how my personal life is going.
  • Options
    We never knew about them, it was unknown to us and that's how we coped. But whenever my computer was broke for the past month i didn't think oh fuck i can't go on thesite, oh shite my lifes over. No.

Here i'm pissed drunk. Pay no attention.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't be able to take procrastination to its pinnacle.
  • Options
    I think it is indicative of a deeper malaise.
  • Options
  • Options
    Isn't indicative a lovely word? Indicative, indicative, indicative!

Exactly, I was just trying to sound smart anyway, I'm not sure there really is a malaise.
  • Options
    n all we could afford 2 live on was bread and butter, wages werent the same in them days
  • Options
    Many Many years ago when i had a pc but no internet i used to just paint stupid pictures in paint and play with encyclopedia cd roms :lol:

Apart from that i used to play out everyday like normal children should.

If the internet dissapeared now i would miss it, i'm not dependant on it or even use it every day but i would miss it being there definatley.
  • Options
    We didn't have a computer until i was about 18/19 so i did grow up without it.