Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Graphics Card Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey ho folks, i was considering getting this Graphics Cardx

I had a few questions before i do though,

Whats core speed and RAMDAC, how would i go about finding out what Corespeed/ramdac i should get for my computer?

Also, what does "tv-out" mean. Does it mean i can record things of the tv onto my computer, or play stuff of my computer on to my pc?

Any help would be greatly apreciated :wave:

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Higher hte core speed and RAMDAC, the Better. IT doesn't matter really, as long as you have the correct AGP slot.

TV OUT means you can plug a TV into that slot, and it will display the screen of the computer. Its pretty useful for watching films tbh.
  • Options
    Great, thats exactly what im looking for, thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Hey ho folks, i was considering getting this Graphics Cardx

I had a few questions before i do though,

Whats core speed and RAMDAC, how would i go about finding out what Corespeed/ramdac i should get for my computer?

Also, what does "tv-out" mean. Does it mean i can record things of the tv onto my computer, or play stuff of my computer on to my pc?

Any help would be greatly apreciated :wave:

Core speed is basically the speed of the processer on the chip - how fast it is, in basic terms. The processer on your mainboard dictates your system's 'power', and this is also true for a graphics card. The Ramdac is the updatey bit that transfers the image to the screen. So how it works, AFAIK:

Program stored in memory sends info to north bridge (CPU, AGP, RAM) and is diverted to the graphics card. The Processor on the graphics card 'processes' this and puts into the memory on the graphics card. Then the ramdac takes the information for the screen and sends it along the cable to the monitor, and this happens at around 70 times a second :p.

TV output means you can plug a TV into it, and use a TV instead of a monitor. Bear in mind though that the quality is pretty much awful :p so it's not an overused feature. Some people do use it though.

What do you want a grpahics card for? If you don't do a lot with your computer, then an onboard graphics card on any present motherboard will be fine. And probably more powerful than that one :p. If you want to play games, then it depends on your budget. If you're limitless then there's SLI and PCI-E and all of that. Realistically, NVidia 6600 is a good card (roughly £100), and so is the Radeon 9800, which is a bit cheaper nowadays (about £70-£80). Having said this, that card will probably run any games you can buy on low settings :) but it's always best to future proof because as they depreciate it's just a pain in the neck always having to buy new hardware to play the next game, only to be obselete next month.
  • Options
    NVidia 6600 is a good card (roughly £100), and so is the Radeon 9800, which is a bit cheaper nowadays (about £70-£80). Having said this, that card will probably run any games you can buy on low settings :) but it's always best to future proof because as they depreciate it's just a pain in the neck always having to buy new hardware to play the next game, only to be obselete next month.

to play games on low setting youd need a 6600 or 9800 pro

spend at least £90 on a decent online retailer like overclockers and yuoll be fine
  • Options
    GeForce FX5700LE 256MB

is what i have got
  • Options
    to play games on low setting youd need a 6600 or 9800 pro

spend at least £90 on a decent online retailer like overclockers and yuoll be fine

I have a radeon 9800 and can run all my games on high settings.
  • Options
    You can overclock 9550's to run at a 9600xt level.

I've got my 9600xt just under a 9800's performance.