Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When are you ready for sex?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what you folks around here think is the appropriate age to have sex for the first time.. i personally think.. YOUNGEST.. 14, and i think this is a bit too young actually.. i'd say 15- upwards

Comments

• Options
    16 just like the age of consent, or when you are mature/ready enough for it.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the person and whether they themselves feel it's right for them.
    There's no set age for that, although obviously there is for the legal age.
  • Options
    When you're ready for it, people mature at different ages and think differently. Bear in mind the age of consent, however, because many believe they are ready for it at 13,14,15 and when they're older they look back and realise they weren't. Not the case for everyone, but you'd be surprised how many people are slaves to peer pressure. If there wasn't so much advertising about sex, if there wasn't so much tv about sex, if there wasn't so much of a national obsession with sex, i think people would find other things to do, because it's just one of the many good things in life.
  • Options
    i think people would find other things to do, because it's just one of the many good things in life.

yeah, guess ure right.. some ppl are obsessed and feel like they have to get laid early in life, even thought they will have more than enough time for this later
  • Options
    I'd say 16/17 - because you are mature enough to understand peoples feelings. Most 14 year olds arnt very caring and not ready to commit to a realtionship. I think its wrong that people have sex at 14 - because they are still very young. I think the age on consent is just right
  • Options
    When there's grass on the pitch.
  • Options
    whenever you feel ready. i'm not going to limit it down to certain ages becasue i think it depends on the individual and everyone is different.
  • Options
    I don't think there is an easy answer to this question, while i personally don't think kids as young as 13/14 should be doing it, i can understand that you can't stop them and as long as they are being safe and are ready themselves then it's ok.
  • Options
    I think people are ready when they actually know what they are doing, and that doesn't happen at a specific age.

For some people, I reckon it could be 14. Not a lot though. And for a lot of people it should probably be 21, if some of the posts in here are anything to go by.
  • Options
    sex or life-relationships?

10 or 20. roughly speaking
  • Options
    It all depends on the person and how mature they are.
    It's best for sex to be meaningful the first time too, so that there is less chance of them getting hurt.
    The age is different for everyone, it all depends on how they feel and whether they feel ready.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    When there's grass on the pitch.
    What if you like to mow the lawn?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think it depends on the person and whether they themselves feel it's right for them.
    There's no set age for that, although obviously there is for the legal age.

Well said.
  • Options
    Lost it a fifteen and learned a few things.

1) My friends were full of shite. At the time I thought I was the only virgin in my group, wrong. Turned out I was one of the first to pop his cherry.

2) Sex was not the end all be all that I was lead to believe it was. I still remember thinking to myself while do it "I am doing it"....afterwards I thought to myself "That was it!?!?!?!?"

3) At age 21 I learned the differance between love making and sex, and that sex of sex sake is basically masturbation using someone elses body instead of your hand. Love making while being the same physical act carries an emotional stake that if anything, increases the pleasure of sex.

4) At 21 I also learned that I wished I had waited.
  • Options
    Well I personally felt ready at 14, but some people in my year are so irresponsible. It's like there should be a kind of sex-test to check if you know what you're getting yourself into. I think when it comes to it, I'm quite mature about it most of the time - I'm not really one to brag, I'm protected and I don't sleep around - while some of my mates are already using sex to hurt other people's feelings, or to gain popularity/notoriety, which isn't right.
    Isn't the legal age 14 in Holland? Though I guess sex education starts earlier and is in more depth there, for that to be sensible.
  • Options
    Who can say? I don't know, i'm still waiting for the right circumstance at 19... to some people this is shocking, but these are precisely the type of people i have no desire to become like. most wish they were still waiting.
    The answer is never a specific age is it? personally, i'm still discovering myself, i'm just not ready to discover someone else.
  • Options
    Was about 15 when I lost it. Wasn't really bothered, virginity really wasn't a big deal to me.
  • Options
    there isn't a set age when you're ready for sex. we all develop emotionally at different ages. i think i did it 'cause i was ready, but much of it was 'cause i wanted it over and done with. shame really!
  • Options
    Well I'm ready now. 18 and counting.
  • Options
    When you're ready for it, people mature at different ages and think differently. Bear in mind the age of consent, however, because many believe they are ready for it at 13,14,15 and when they're older they look back and realise they weren't. Not the case for everyone, but you'd be surprised how many people are slaves to peer pressure. If there wasn't so much advertising about sex, if there wasn't so much tv about sex, if there wasn't so much of a national obsession with sex, i think people would find other things to do, because it's just one of the many good things in life.

It's one of our base desires, advertising etc is merely a contributory factor. You have to differentiate between the sexes as well...males largely take sex as and when it comes, women are more selective. I don't know any boy who regrets losing his virginity at a young age, its something to proud of for most. Girls are a different story.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I'm still waiting for the right circumstance at 19... to some people this is shocking, but these are precisely the type of people i have no desire to become like.
    Ditto.

At the age of 19 I still haven't met anyone I'd feel comfortable enough with to be sexual with. I may still be the same in 5 years time, but who knows? We all mature at different rates to each other.

Ilora x
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Who can say? I don't know, i'm still waiting for the right circumstance at 19...

so thats why you oftenact like an arse around here
  • Options
    I started giving blowjobs when i was 14 and first had sex a year later - I felt comfortable and don't regret it...but everyone is different - there is no "right" time.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    most wish they were still waiting.

You're deluding yourself if you really believe that :thumb: .
  • Options
    I think it depends on the specific people involved. Some people are mature at 15, and some are mature at 18. Some never mature (my cousin's the perfect example, nearly thirty and still pulls a girl's hair to show he's interested... no he isn't retarded, just an immature jerk). If you're not mature enough to handle the concequences of sex (or potential concequences) my personal opinion is don't do it.
  • Options
    if you question your ready-ness your not ready.