Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

duration of sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, A recent post made me think of this, but when I have sex with my g/f it lasts around 45minutes-1 hour (this is just the penetration, not including foreplay which is probably another hour maybe). I thought this was probably average, but I've had a look around and it seems that this is actually really long just for penetration.

Even when we have a 'quickie' it lasts for aroud 30 minutes, which, according to some sources is still longer then average.

Now I'm a little worried. Is this normal? Is it OK? Do I run the risk of taking so long it's painful for my g/f?

Some people's opinion on duration would be helpful, maybe put my mind at rest?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    If my bf went for an hour i'd actually get pissed off...but thats just me coz obviously after a while it does tend to get a bit sore, for me i'd rather have a truely satisfying 15 minute shag than prolonged penetration. But not everyone is the same and if your girlfriend hasn't complained then she prolly really enjoys it!
  • Options
    depends what you're up to. i mean, if you're just banging away in the same position for an hour, then yeah, she probably will be getting sore and/or bored. if not, then she's probably cool with it.

here's a crazy idea, but why don't you ask her? :p

i always think the foreplay should last a lot longer that sex, anyway, but everyone's different.
  • Options
    I think if you're both happy with the way things are then there is no reason to change them. Its down to personal choice.

Personally sometimes I like a quickie and other times I like a long slow session. Have a chat to her and find out what she likes.
  • Options
    i hope you change posistions and places in that hour!
    becasue i would get a bit pissed off if i had to have sex in the same posistion for about an hour!
  • Options
    it depends i think on the person and the mood. sometimes i love a good long session... other times i dont!
  • Options
    This is an interesting thread because i have the same "problem". My sessions with my girlfriend can last around 40mins to 1 and a half hours but we do change positions. She dont seem to mind....im gonna ask her!
  • Options
    its rarely the same. Sometimes a quickie is all thats required, sometimes a 2 hour session is lovely.
    I think if I knew it was always going to be a marathon session, it would make me inclined to avoid it sometimes. Its nice to vary.
  • Options
    IT depends on why you're taking that long. If you can sometimes speed it up then do, but if you last that long then there isn't always much you can do about it. Sometimes I can go that long and not come at all, it's very annoying.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    IT depends on why you're taking that long. If you can sometimes speed it up then do, but if you last that long then there isn't always much you can do about it. Sometimes I can go that long and not come at all, it's very annoying.
    eezATTly.
    my other halfs the same. Its the seroxat.
  • Options
    Would you not just get exhausted going for a long time? (Him and her) I know i get too knackered after about 30 mins but maybe thats just me!!
  • Options
    you're not a diabetic by any chance are you??? i think my advice would just be that everyone is different. some men last longer than others. just accept yourself as an individual. how does your gf feel about it??? and why exactly do you feel this is a problem???
  • Options
    I think I agree with the fact that it all depends on the mood..
  • Options
    I tend to stop after the girl i'm sleeping with tells me she can't go anymore. It's very rare I actually get to climax through penetration. As for 45 minutes being too long...I don't agree..If she can handle it, and it's not boring, then plug away buddy.
  • Options
    'you're not a diabetic by any chance are you??? i think my advice would just be that everyone is different. some men last longer than others. just accept yourself as an individual. how does your gf feel about it??? and why exactly do you feel this is a problem???'

I think this was aimed at me..? Anyway if it was, Im a girl lol.
  • Options
    Special_K wrote:
    'you're not a diabetic by any chance are you??? i think my advice would just be that everyone is different. some men last longer than others. just accept yourself as an individual. how does your gf feel about it??? and why exactly do you feel this is a problem???'

I think this was aimed at me..? Anyway if it was, Im a girl lol.

it was aimed at red_jelly. :p
  • Options
    I personally wouldnt want an hour of penetration ever, no matter what my mood, hours of foreplay yes please, hours of cuddles and kisses afterwards great. but 30mins of penetration is the most id ever want, the usual for us was only about 15 mins, but for me that was fab, everyone is however different, and im sure if your girl felt like me, she would have let you know about it by now!!
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay...

No I'm not diabetic, why?

Well I aksed her last night and she said she's fine with it. I asked her what would be too short and she said anything less then about 10-15 minutes would be a bit disappointing, she also said there was no upper limit so to speak, so I guess taking 45 minutes - 1 hour is fine :)

I guess my worry was that it was taking me too long and maybe there was a problem with me, also she might say she didn't mind but was just protecting my feelings. I know everyone is different, but if the reaction from the girls on here was "OMG that's far too long!" then maybe I would look into speeding things up a little bit.

As for getting tired, I don't really think about it while I'm doing it, it's never been a problem. As for her, her 'activity' is fairly minimal so I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

We don't change postions as such, but I do move around a bit (different angles, doing things with my hands etc.)

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)
  • Options
    Depends on your gf because sometimes, too long will make her sore, but sometimes its ok. It depends how much she is enjoying it really!
    Sometimes, i have been bored after so long, cos he doesnt seem to be gettin close and im just getting tired after an hour and thats the worst feeling lol
  • Options
    i think id get really sore after that long! sometimes after about 20 mins i have to tell my bloke to stop cos im sore!
    i'd rather have a 5-10 minute fantastic quickie most of the time rather than a long looooong session.
    though saying that i do enjoy longer sessions though more than half an hour is just too long for me!
  • Options
    i read the other day the average british blokes last during actual sex is 4-5 mins

mind you it was in the sun :yeees:
  • Options
    I usually cum within 5 minutes, 10 if she's on top, and maybe 15 if it's the 2nd time within a short period of time. I did shag a girl recently and came with about 2 minutes - LOL. I was a bit embarrased at the time but hey, shit happens! ;)