Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rail Congestion Charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Surely some kind of joke

I may have got this wrong, but isn't road charging supposed to encourage us to us public transport? Including trains?

Or is this all just an attempt to get us all using buses?

Comments

• Options
    A complete joke. But our railways are. As it is trains in the UK are expensive, they seem especially overpriced when the service you get is too often crap. Was in Italy a few months ago, couldn't believe how much cheaper the trains were and from the several trains we got they were all on time. The metro in Rome wasn't bad too but the tube here isn't really as bad as people often make it out to be..
  • Options
    I heard about this earlier, and thought it was a pretty silly idea, considering the new plans for road charging. And the railways are expensive enough as it is. My other half commutes to work, and he already pays just under £60 for a weeks travel. If the rail prices went up, it would be even more ridiculous. It seems that people who have to travel more than walking distance to work will suffer however they choose to get to work.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its al because demand is greater than supply, with trains being overloaded, so they can afford to piss a few people off by shoving the prices up.
  • Options
    erm dont they allready charge way higher prices at peak times anyway?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    erm dont they allready charge way higher prices at peak times anyway?

Yes, a bit.

A job with flexi-time sounds like even more of an attractive option (but I bet employers' "core hours" still manage to fall within peak times).
  • Options
    Call me an old cynic, but I get the feeling this is all to ensure that people a releived when next years price rise is "only" 5%
  • Options
    Call me an old cynic, but I get the feeling this is all to ensure that people a releived when next years price rise is "only" 5%

You old cynic you ;)
  • Options
    Getting rid of first class at peak hours and extra carridges. Too simple innit.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, then we get Bus Congetion Charges...

So we all have to walk. Everywhere.

The governemnt is having a fund raiser for the christmas party at Tonies, I guess. Or grabbing cash because they will lose next time around.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So we all have to walk. Everywhere.

Or fly.

To a different country, and stay there.
  • Options
    Hmmm I wonder if the next step will be nasal congestion charges to drive up the price of tissues?
  • Options
    Hmmm I wonder if the next step will be nasal congestion charges to drive up the price of tissues?

:lol:

I wouldn't put it past em.
  • Options
    Guess they can be expected to be introduced in December/January, at the height of cold and flu season.
  • Options
    those who rule and run things seem to have little wisdom if any.
    the whole setup of this world is upside down and inside out.
    greed and incompetence are the order of the day.
    does anyone any longer who is in a position of authority/power have any long term vision/goals ...regarding building a better world?
    i despair.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't despair. You'll be dead soon enough. Oh, and think like them: Who cares about the next generation?

It doesn't pay to think about the future. Hence doing so is quite incompatible with the current system. It just isn't profitable to NOT rip people off and make a good public transport system. But, if you can force people to use the current shoddy one by maknig driving expensive...

Bullseye.
  • Options
    Can we look forward to jail congestion charges in the near future?

Obviously with further imprisonment for failure to pay .......... loop .......loop

:confused:
  • Options
    maybe I'm missing something but you already have this on the tube??

after 9:30am ticket prices are cheaper, you can get a one day travel card for £6 or £5.70p with an Oyster card but before 9:30am it's like £7.50p
  • Options
    maybe I'm missing something but you already have this on the tube??

after 9:30am ticket prices are cheaper, you can get a one day travel card for £6 or £5.70p with an Oyster card but before 9:30am it's like £7.50p

no thats travelcards, single journeys cost the same (less on oyster cards than paper tickets though)

completly pointless though theyd be better off increasing the capacity and reliability for peak time services, on the tube i dont mind if my trains too busy, cause i know ill be at front for next train in 5 minutes at most
  • Options
    Just confirms that the whole congestion charge idea is not a revenue neutral thing at all. If it was intended purely to free up the roads then the government should not allow it on trains.
  • Options
    whatever happened to the concept of an "intergrated ( :) )transport policy"? All we've got is a congested choked-up ad hoc transport network for which we have the dubious honour of paying ever-increasing amounts of cash. Mad & bad.
  • Options
    Hidrick wrote:
    whatever happened to the concept of an "intergrated ( :) )transport policy"? All we've got is a congested choked-up ad hoc transport network for which we have the dubious honour of paying ever-increasing amounts of cash. Mad & bad.

Privatisation, thats what happened.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Privatisation, thats what happened.
    Partially true, but not entirely.

For all the ranting and raving about "privatisation", it needs to be remembered that the main line carriers into London, with the exception of Virgin's black hole finances, all pay hefty subsidies to the Government. First Great Western pay over £60m in premiums every year, and GNER will be paying £100m a year soon.

London's rail network is so clogged because no Government will fund Thameslink 2000, so called because when it was first mooted in the mid-80s it was supposed to open in 2000. No government will fund Crossrail. Network Rail is effectively a government company, so arguments about private finance are irrelevant, and even if private finance were available to pay for it Bob Crow would only whinge.

The cost of the rail network now are because the infrastructure- trains and maintenance of track- were privatised. It costs £150,000pa to rent a railbus ffs- they only cost that to build in the first place. The West Coast rebuild cost umpteen gazillion pounds, whereas the East Coast rebuild came in on time and on budget. The TOCs always get the abuse, but they don't really cost much more now than they did under BR.

Adverts around here trying to tell me that the bus was cheap made me laugh though. That'd be £2.40 for a return into town, which is three miles away, if that- bargain!
  • Options
    What the feck are they on about saying 'we want to make off peak travelling more appealing'. Don't they realise peak times are peak times because people NEED to travel then. Do they expect people are going to start going to work at 11am because the trains are 'more appealing' then?!
  • Options
    And yes for alot of tickets they already do charge more peak times. When I travel back to uni on a monday morning I have to pay more AND i can't use a student railcard, which is completely unfair. Plus my trains always deserted at that time:impissed:
  • Options
    Blagsta is right: privatisation is the problem. It's not the whole problem - some of the difficulties with Britain's trains go back to the way the network was built more than a century ago - but the fact that the railways now consist of several hundred TOCs, maintenance contractors and the rest, all pulling in different directions, makes it virtually impossible to get anything done efficiently and at a reasonable cost.

The railways now receive three times the subsidy that British Rail got in its later years, much of that is swallowed up in legal fees, payments form one firm or another for infringement of contract, lawyers to draw up the contracts and, yes, overinflated salaries for bosses who couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery (think Gerald Corbett), never mind a decent public transport system. Motre money is put into the modern network than into BR, and less is got out of it.

The TOCs themselves have been - with one or two exceptions - hopeless. Initially they failed to invest in rolling stock; then they did, and much of it was rushed through the design stage and, predictably enough, the result has been a proliferation of ill-tested, flawed designs. Take Virgin, for instance. They're fine ones to complain about overcrowding - they were the ones who scrapped the old 8-coach 125s and replaced them with those piddling little 5-coach Virgin Voyagers that are always overcrowded, and where the seats are so small and crammed in together that you risk DVT if you sit there too long. And they were all taken out of service temporarily the other week for safety checks after a coupling fractured. Virgin replaced a useful, if dated, BR design with something that ... well, should be copnsigned straight to the scapyard. From what I hear the Pendolino is no better, nor the 'Adelante' trains that First Great Western are introducing.

All of this is before the subject of safety even comes up. Major crashes in 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2002, all attirbutable to varying extents to the way in which a formerly unified, vertically integrated system has been split up into a plethora of self-seeking, myopic private companies. Renationalisation is the only way to sort out the chaos. It is that simple.
  • Options
    A lot of people choose to travel early for shopping and leisure, and this is what they want to discourage.

Fair enough I think.

I also think that there needs to be a bigger differential between peak and off-peak, to make those who can travel at other times to do so. It was the RPC saying this, not ATOC.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A lot of people choose to travel early for shopping and leisure, and this is what they want to discourage.

Fair enough I think.

It's not their business to 'discourage' anyone from travelling. It's up to them to provide an adequate service. if they're incapable of doing that, then what the fuck are we paying for?
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    The railways now receive three times the subsidy that British Rail got in its later years

Which due to under-funding from Thatcher is an unfair comparison.
    The TOCs themselves have been - with one or two exceptions - hopeless. Initially they failed to invest in rolling stock

For the first few months they did.
    much of it was rushed through the design stage and, predictably enough, the result has been a proliferation of ill-tested, flawed designs.

And nothing at all to do with the huge gap between the last BR orders, and then the private orders?

And nothing to do with the incompetence of GEC Alstom?
    And they were all taken out of service temporarily the other week for safety checks after a coupling fractured.

No they weren't. It was nothing to do with the coupling.

Though the Voyagers are shite trains.
  • Options
    Which due to under-funding from Thatcher is an unfair comparison.

Why is it? BR was never that well-funded, except for a brief period in the 1950s. The point I was trying to make was that BR managed to do a hell of a lot with a very small budget - well, after the 1950s anyway, where a lot of money certainly was wasted. You can't say that for the privatised system, can you?
    For the first few months they did

Some of them homoured contracts BR had already drawn up, but every rial industry analyst will tell you that there was a serious dearth of investment in rolling stock for the first few years after privatisation. All these new trains that are coming on stream now ... well, basically they're making up for lost time.
    And nothing at all to do with the huge gap between the last BR orders, and then the private orders?

And nothing to do with the incompetence of GEC Alstom?

Yes, up to a point, but that is not a justification for rushing ill-tested deisgns into production.

GEC Alstom aren't great, but then they haven't built all of the enw trains either, so I fail to see the relevance of your point.
    No they weren't. It was nothing to do with the coupling.

Yes it was. There was also this 18 months ago...

A lot of stark assertions, with very little evidence to back any of them up, Kermit...
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    The point I was trying to make was that BR managed to do a hell of a lot with a very small budget

It did?

All I remember it doing is trying to shut railway line after railway line, all based on lies, particularly in the 1980s. It didn't manage to, but the service over lines such as the S&C was appalling right up until privatisation. For all the arguments about privatisation, on routes like the S&C, Carlisle-Newcastle and Newcastle-Sunderland-Hartlepool the services improved because of privatisation (although in the last case the service to Hartlepool was reduced again because Arriva lost money and the SRA didn't feel the need to subsidise.
    Some of them homoured contracts BR had already drawn up, but every rial industry analyst will tell you that there was a serious dearth of investment in rolling stock for the first few years after privatisation.

I don't think the dearth was as "serious" as many rail analysts make out, to be quite honest. New trains take time to come online, and new trains take time to be ordered because of research needs, and I believe companies like MML put plans in place for the 170s not long after privatisation.
    All these new trains that are coming on stream now ... well, basically they're making up for lost time.

I do think that is a simplistic viewpoint, the Pendolino has been in the making since 1997, for instance. The new Desiros for SWT will replace the balls-up that was Alstom's pathetic attempts to build a reliable train.
    GEC Alstom aren't great, but then they haven't built all of the enw trains either, so I fail to see the relevance of your point.

The point was that the new trains that haven't worked have largely been by Alstom.

My point was also that trains often don't work when they are first built. The 91s certainly didn't, and they have only gained good reliability since GNER overhauled them from the bottom up.

I wasn't aware of that. I thought you were referring to the failure in the air-con system that caused disruption not so long ago.

The Voyagers aren't perfect, but at least they do generally work. Which is more than can be said for the 47s and 86s they replaced.

Virgin XC get an awful press, and I don't think it is justified. They run far more trains than IC XC ever did, and IC XC's reliability and punctuality was often not much better.