Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Professor" Roy Meadow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

I know at least one other user of these boards will be praying for Meadow to be struck off...

Comments

• Options
    From reading that I would come to the conclusion that he isn`t an "expert" in mathematics,but why does anyone assume he is an "expert" in anything.(Was it the "Professor" label ? Or the "Sir" ?)There seems to be a profuse supply of "experts" in Legalland,whose alleged expertise of supposed facts goes unquestioned.

Tip for today(and ANY day): Question everything,especially "experts".

seeker
  • Options
    Here's hoping.
  • Options
    Here's hoping his head gets struck off, in a very painful manner.

That cunt should be in jail, six months for every month he put a woman inside wrongly. He should die in prison.

He doesn't even have the decency to say sorry. He is a cunt among cunts.
  • Options
    Instead, it had become apparent that another witness at her trial, pathologist Alan Williams, had failed to disclose key medical evidence.

and what happened to this person - he should also be struck off, if it hasn't already happened

what is it that makes people behave like this?

it also highlights a some interesting issues about research, the use of statistics and the whole peer review process and scientific journal processes
  • Options
    What do you make of the last bit?
    BBC News wrote:
    Professor Sir Alan Craft, President of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, said: "It is important to remember that the allegations against him are only about his use of certain statistics in the trial of Sally Clark.

"Whatever the outcome, I hope that this hearing does not overshadow all the work he has completed over his long and distinguished career, including on Fabricated or Induced Illness, which was formerly known as Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

"His work has undoubtedly saved the lives of many children."

So if the allegations prove themselves to be true, it's only because he used misrepresentative statistics which should always be taken with a pinch of salt rather than definitive evidence. Just because something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it can't, after all.

Should he be struck off even though he has done a lot of good work as well?
  • Options
    The worrying thing is that probably due to this people who did murder their children will get off on a technicality.
  • Options
    So if the allegations prove themselves to be true, it's only because he used misrepresentative statistics which should always be taken with a pinch of salt rather than definitive evidence. Just because something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it can't, after all.

That is hopelessly naive.

Juries take expert evidence at face value, they are ordinary people and are blinded by credentials and experience. The statistics will have been noted, and they cast a huge shadow on any defence case. The stats were hopelessly prejudicial to any defence case.

Yes, he should. His incompetence has destroyed families, and he should be punished severely for it.

The fact that he appears to not think he's done anything wrong makes things matters. If he admitted he was wrong and apologised like a man I would have more respect for him. He seems to think he was right, when he was not, and he needs to be taught a lesson.
  • Options
    Guilty

Will be interesting to see what the GMC does now...
  • Options
    He still hasn't had the balls to admit he fucked up and he is truly sorry.

Symptomatic of the arrogance of the man. Five years inside for perverting the course of justice should help him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Here's hoping his head gets struck off, in a very painful manner.

That cunt should be in jail, six months for every month he put a woman inside wrongly. He should die in prison.

He doesn't even have the decency to say sorry. He is a cunt among cunts.
    if he said sorry, would it make any difference to you?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    if he said sorry, would it make any difference to you?
    It would allow me to respect him.

He should still be punished severely. But remorse would make the punishment less.
  • Options

Just because someone has done good things in their life surely this doesn't mean they should be treated with more leniancy when they do bad things?
  • Options
    He has destroyed lives, and should be punihsed severely for it.

But if he had the decency to admit he fucked up and admit he was sorry, and had the decency to believe that he was wrong and should never practise again, then I could respect him more.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He has destroyed lives, and should be punihsed severely for it.

But if he had the decency to admit he fucked up and admit he was sorry, and had the decency to believe that he was wrong and should never practise again, then I could respect him more.

It would take a lot of balls and I would have to give him some respect if he did this. His lack of apology just makes me believe he is a bit of a twat.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It would allow me to respect him.

He should still be punished severely. But remorse would make the punishment less.
    Why?
  • Options
    Why should he be punished severely?

Because he has destroyed scores of lives by his lies and inaccuracies.

Why would I have some respect for him if he at least genuinely admitted his mistake and showed remorse? Because it takes a lot of courage to admit you ballsed up big time, and it takes even more to look someone in the eye and tell them that you are sorry.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why?

Becuase at the moment we get the arrogance of "I've done nothing wrong" and no recognition of the impact which his actions have had.

If he cannot admit himself that he has done wrong, then he needs to have that reinforced for him, and the punishment should be severe. If he can see the errors he made and shows remorse for them, then that contrition should be recognised.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If he admitted he was wrong and apologised like a man I would have more respect for him.

Sort of like this you mean?
    Asked if his use of a figure saying the chance of a double cot death in her family was one in 73 million had misled people, Prof Meadow said: "I think it's self-evident it misled and confused a lot of people."

He said he was very sorry about that, but added: "I was at the time doing my best to give what I thought was reasonable information."
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why should he be punished severely?

Because he has destroyed scores of lives by his lies and inaccuracies.

Why would I have some respect for him if he at least genuinely admitted his mistake and showed remorse? Because it takes a lot of courage to admit you ballsed up big time, and it takes even more to look someone in the eye and tell them that you are sorry.
    Sorry, I should have gone for more clarity there. Why does remorse affect his "deserved" punishment?
  • Options
    Does anyone hold the following responsible for "destroying lives" ?

The "police" who took the decision to kidnap.

The "CPS" who took the decision to prosecute.

The "jury" who took the decision to convict.

The "judge" who took the decision to imprison.

seeker
  • Options
    Yes, he may have made a mistake, but do we forget that this man was acting in what he believed was the best interest of society?

If he believed that these women were actually innocent, he would have not have got them thrown in prison. Paediatricians must see many children hurt by parents (come in contact with parents with munchausen's by proxy, URL=http://depression.about.com/cs/psychotherapy/g/munchausens.htm]definition[/URL)

I believe he was acting in what he believed was the best interest of others; and that his expertise has otherwise saved many childrens lives in the past.
  • Options
    Sort of like this you mean?

No, I mean with some sincerity. And not under examination from his barrister trying to get him off.

seeker, will you ever ask an intelligent question?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Does anyone hold the following responsible for "destroying lives" ?

The "police" who took the decision to kidnap.

The "CPS" who took the decision to prosecute.

The "jury" who took the decision to convict.

The "judge" who took the decision to imprison.

seeker

kidnap? Wow thats a clever way of implying they have done something wrong. In fact in general I was going to rip this idiotic post apart but it seems barely worth it.

The point is as a professional he was supposed to be giving an impartial factual account. Saying what about if HE thought they were guilty and was acting in the interest of society is not the point.
    Most professional codes of conduct do not allow this and he wasn't a judge, magistrate or jury so it wasn't his responsibility to make that sort of judgement.
  • Options
    I was going to rip this idiotic post apart but it seems barely worth it.

It really isn't worth it.

Seeker's read "philosophy for dummies" and seems to think that murder laws are a terrible restriction upon his "freedom".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It really isn't worth it.

Seeker's read "philosophy for dummies" and seems to think that murder laws are a terrible restriction upon his "freedom".

He does come across like he may have skimmed through it at some point long ago.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, I mean with some sincerity. And not under examination from his barrister trying to get him off.

I'm amazed that the GMC let Robert Seabrook represent them and Roy Meadow.

Its quite unusual for a QC to prosecute and defend in the same trial, isn't it?

:confused:
  • Options
    In fact in general I was going to rip this idiotic post apart

I`ll huff and I`ll puff and I`ll blow your house in :D:D:D

I almost ran to www.wearenotafraid.com but found a few verses of "Who`s afraid of the big bad wolf?" more helpful.

Don`t let me stop you "ripping it apart".In fact,I wouldn`t dream of it.That`s what it`s there for.
    kidnap? Wow thats a clever way of implying they have done something wrong.

"Clever" ? That`s a contradiction of your assertion that it is "idiotic" :confused: I`ve now joined you in the land of confusion.Perhaps it was one of your spelling mistakes ?

What part of kidnapping do you not understand? Do you happen to think that kidnapping is NOT wrong ? Unless you give yourself the label of "The Police" ?
    The point is as a professional he was supposed to be giving an impartial factual account. Saying what about if HE thought they were guilty and was acting in the interest of society is not the point.
    Most professional codes of conduct do not allow this and he wasn't a judge, magistrate or jury so it wasn't his responsibility to make that sort of judgement.

A "professional" what ? "Expert" witness ? How can he give "an impartial factual account" ? Was he present at the time of the alleged offence ?
    Wasn`t he giving his opinion ?

I could be wrong but as far as I know:

HE didn`t kidnap anyone.
    HE didn`t force anyone into a court.
    HE didn`t give an "enforceable" decision of guilt.
    HE didn`t forcibly send anyone to a cage.
    Kermit wrote:

Tut,tut,Kermit,you really should know better than to make supposed factual comments about things you are not certain about.(Hey,isn`t that what Roy Meadow is accused of?)

Any "law" when taken to it`s violent conclusion is a "terrible restriction" on everyone`s freedom.(Go and have a review of your "social contract" postings,and you may agree with yourself ;) )

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I`ll huff and I`ll puff and I`ll blow your house in :D:D:D

I almost ran to www.wearenotafraid.com but found a few verses of "Who`s afraid of the big bad wolf?" more helpful.

Don`t let me stop you "ripping it apart".In fact,I wouldn`t dream of it.That`s what it`s there for.

"Clever" ? That`s a contradiction of your assertion that it is "idiotic" :confused: I`ve now joined you in the land of confusion.Perhaps it was one of your spelling mistakes ?

What part of kidnapping do you not understand? Do you happen to think that kidnapping is NOT wrong ? Unless you give yourself the label of "The Police" ?

A "professional" what ? "Expert" witness ? How can he give "an impartial factual account" ? Was he present at the time of the alleged offence ?
    Wasn`t he giving his opinion ?

I could be wrong but as far as I know:

HE didn`t kidnap anyone.
    HE didn`t force anyone into a court.
    HE didn`t give an "enforceable" decision of guilt.
    HE didn`t forcibly send anyone to a cage.

Tut,tut,Kermit,you really should know better than to make supposed factual comments about things you are not certain about.(Hey,isn`t that what Roy Meadow is accused of?)

Any "law" when taken to it`s violent conclusion is a "terrible restriction" on everyone`s freedom.(Go and have a review of your "social contract" postings,and you may agree with yourself ;) )

seeker

*Sigh*

Using clever was a sarcastic take on the way you manipulated the language you used to imply something you cannot prove.

A professional is somebody such as a chartered engineer, a doctor, a lawyer. If they are asked to provide information in their professional capactiy they must provide impartial evidence. By most professions codes of conduct a person can only give information that they are suitably qualified to give. If he gave statistics that were later found to be innacurate then he gave evidence that he wasn't suitably qualififed to give such information or masquerade that he was.

People cannot just call themself the police they are given that title by society.

Please stop boring me about spelling mistakes because I just don't care. If I'm tired or feeling lazy then I reserve the right to be a lazy twat and spell things wrong, skip punctuation and use atrocious grammar.
  • Options
    Legally Meadow was only giving a version of events which he considered to be true. Others could offer a different version of events.

But when you are an expert you have a duty not to just make things up on the spot. That is perverting the course of justice, I would say.

The arguments about the police being kidnappers is ludicrous, even after what I have said in the other thread.
  • Options
    Don't slam the door on your way out.

Drinks are on Kermit.