Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lack of a girlfriend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I am a bit new to all this message board kinda thing, so I hope I am doning the right thing. This is my problem, which is kinda similar to a few other threads although slightly different. I just wonder if you have got any ideas....

Currently I am just finishing my third year at uni got one year left and I am just hoping my final year isn't as barron as my past 3.I am a 21 year old guy who has never had a girlfriend, this has really been getting me down of late. What makes it even worse is that all of my friends have boyfriends/girlfriend. Yet too me no matter hard I try I seem to get nowhere.

Unlike some of the other threads I have read on this site, I have quite a bit a self confidence, I go to various clubs at uni (when I am there) and although I wouldn't say I have got a great wide circle of friends. I do have a few although they are probably like partying a bit more than I do. I do go out to the guild and the pubs n clubs on occasions although I aint a great fan as i don't drink much (Unlike my friends) . I do have various female friends (most of whom now have boyfriends,) but I have never met a girl who would like me more than just friends. I am not really sure what I am doing wrong. Although I do have coeliac disease (allergy to gluten) and I ain't the greatest looker in the world. So I probably ain't the worlds greatest catch... I also seem to have an invariable habit of screwing things up and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. :banghead: I am just getting really worried that I am doomed to stay single for ever.....! :nervous: :crying:

Anyone got an ideas what I should do...?

Comments

• Options
    im sure you wont stay single forever!

tis just one of those annoying things, like buses - when you want one theres none but when you dont 3 come along at once

i dont really see that theres much advice to be given other than join a dating agency or something like that!
  • Options
    dating agengy..? nah! You're not a 40 year old divorcee! Keep trying, what else can you do? You don't say if you're pursuing anyone in paticular...?
  • Options
    Bloody hell, I've learnt about this one in recent months. Women all seem to come along at once. I went into a relationship and only then did women suddenly spring out from nowhere. And now that I've left that relationship, they're still there. However, you've got self-confidence, I didn't even have that!

As for saying the wrong thing, I've been there! :blush: I once told a girl she had a "nice top" before adding "I meant the top you've got on, not... erm... anything else..." whilst she just laughed her head off. Talking about the event later, she said it was strangely "endearing". Hmm... maybe not all mistakes are bad.
  • Options
    also.. the coeliac disease is likely to have nothing what-so-ever to do with it..

The less you worry about it the more likely it probably is that it'll happen for you. :)
  • Options
    i've had a few relationships but always end up being treated unfairly for some reason. it's making me a little paranoid but i'm having to tell myself i just haven't found the right one yet. hopefully one day i will, until then i will just have to be happy being on my own. what will be will be i suppose.

you're still very young, i'm hitting 27 next month... not old but feels it when you get there and are still single!
  • Options
    Hiya Stafford

I'm 25 and have only ever had one boyfriend (the one i'm with now) and I've only been with him 7 months. I was like you - was thinking I'd never ever find anyone to spend time with, to fall in love with, to do coupl-y type things with. But it happened for me. I guess my biggest problem was that I tried to force the whole relationship issue for ages, trying to 'pull' the whole time. I probably ended up looking like a right dick most of the time.

Ok, you also say that you've got quite a bit of self confidence - then further on in the same paragraph you start to put yourself down by saying you're not that attractive and aren't the world's greatest catch! Honey, I'm sure the coeliac disease has NOTHING to do with anything. Any girlfriend worth their salt would love you for who you were and it wouldn't matter what health problems you had...

What I would say to you is don't force the issue - don't go out actively looking for a girlf - be approachable and chatty and friendly and be yourself - usually it's when you stop looking that things like this come to you...

Take care
    Love cavegirl
    xxx
  • Options
    i never do understand really, why people think that they need a bf / gf .... and that having that will make life okay?! - it doesn't! and not eating gluten is NOT the reason why - you can take my word for that!
    basically, if you meet someone you like... you've got to make the first move with them... if you don't do that... then there is your reason why you've always been single.
    btw stafford, hope you don't mind me asking but are you at staffs uni by any chance?!
  • Options
    Lack of a girlfriend

Woah, such a quick response. It twas interesting to hear what ppl have to say. I don't agree with all the statements made although we all have our own judgements on these matters. I have tried both strategies i.e. just be friendly and the "on the pull" strategy, neither of which have been sucessfull. I feel the former option is the easier to purse,(for me at least) although if you do this option you aren't really making an effort. As for pursuing particular people; I have tried pursuing a particular girl, she didn't have the same feelings for me as i felt for her, however we're still friends. In regards to the looks thing, it does make a difference in the intial meeting stage. How many of you go initially for a short spotty 5ft male or that strapping kinda hunky 6 footer in the corner? Not many for the short one, I am sure?! Bieng less attractive just means you need to try harder at first, that's all, just a sad fact of life, "Some of us are more equal than others"-George Orwell 1984, Although in regards to me, like most of you i guess, I am somewhere in between both extremes. By the sounds of things I suppose there is still time for me, although I do feel it should be my turn soon....
  • Options
    You've got to relax about it. I'm 17 and I've never had a girlfriend, but I'm not bothered.

As Foamy said, "I don't have to justify my existance through the existance of someone else". You don't need a girlfriend and you shouldn't let it get you down.

That said, I can't help you get a girlfriend. :D
  • Options
    You just need to keep trying, i.e talk to girls if you like them, get to know them better. Someone will come along when you least expect it. And dont put yourself down or beat yourself by saying your not that attractive etc. someone will think you are!

BTW I'm nearly 20 and I never been on a date never mind had a boyfriend, so there a lot of pther people in your situation.
  • Options
    You sound like a cool guy. Believe it or not, not all girls like partying a lot. I have met quite a few who just prefer to have days out and nights in ;)
    And yeah, someone said earlier that they all come along at once. That does tend to be the general trend (so don't f*ck up when they do come along :p)

But seriously

*You're getting a Masters Degree (I presume form 4 years)
    *You're clearly not an idiot
    *As long as you don't like the Elephant Man then someone will find you physically attractive
    *If you are a nice guy with some confidence then there will be women who like you
    *I know the most attractive and charming guys, nicest people you will ever meet, but they haven't had girlfriends simply because they haven't met the right person
    *Just bide your time, then strike like a hawk! Like a hawk!
  • Options
    hang in there mate, u will meet the right person in the end, and it will all be worth the wait, i guarentee it :) as they say in vanilla sky without the bitter how can we appreciate the sweet?
  • Options
    mate, dont worry about it, its not the be all and end all of life at your age, im 22 myself and dont have a girlfriend and havent had for quite some time now. I meet plenty of ladies but just havent met anyone i can make a commitment to yet. i just concentrate on having fun, having these hangups probably aint doing you any favours either with the ladies. Being desperate and insecure isnt going to improve your chances. So just go out, have fun, meet people and im sure someone will come along sooner or later. or at least i hope so....
  • Options
    i really wouldn't let it bother you. in x number of years when you're married with kids, you'll probably end up regretting not making the most of being young, free and single. i only got with my first boyfriend 2 months before my 20th birthday. it's really not worth worrying about, it'll happen when it does..and when you least expect it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All of you who talk about "the right person", I have to say that I think it's very hypocritic.
    I assume most posters here have had a number of boy/girlfriends. And keep in mind that in this I include all kinds of them, "serious" or not. Were all of them "the right person"?
    If yes, then you're saying that people like Stafford have fewer "right persons" than you do, which can only be insulting.
    If not, even if you take all your totally bad experiences out, then you didn't wait for "the right person" to have a relationship. So why should he?
  • Options
    Zalbor is on the right track here… There is an assumption (among people who’ve never had this problem) that it is a conscious decision that you have made to wait until the ‘right one’ comes along. They assume you just need to ask someone and you’ll get, because that’s all they have to do. Bollocks. That kind of thinking pisses me off.

Btw, I was 27 until I found someone who liked me, so I understand completely what you are going through. It starts to eat away at you, wondering if there is something wrong with you. Don’t worry, there isn’t.

The only thing I can say is that keep at it, relax about it. The one thing that I learnt is that acting desperate is NOT attractive, though you may not even realise that you are doing it (I certainly didn’t until the girlie I am now with told me so).

And it’s true. When you do find someone, all the girls will come out of the woodwork, you won’t know what to do with them. They suddenly realise what a cool guy you are, and they’re jealous. Certainly happened to me, anyway. 27 years of nothing, and then blam…
  • Options
    Fisrtly be a bit more ruthless no mroe total nice guy- if there is a single girl there you and your friends might seem to get her first. Try just talk to her and get her number and arrange meet up sometime anoter night or just two of yous so it develops into a personal thing.

Also, clubs ainty best bet at meeting potential partners.
    Best done through other clubs or friends, maybe get one of your couple friendsw to set ya up on a double datre thing with them and someone else-
    First step is admitting it next one is trying do something about ti so your getting there,
  • Options
    lol.. same here, but im 14... and since i lied about having a relationship... im bound not having one... if i'd shut up i'd be ok.. but i was young and dumb... and only earned respect.. ^^ isn't that worth it? lying about a relationship with respect than having one with respect.. wait..that didnt make sense did it? :eek2: i lied about two actually.. one that i had and one that my friend had.. we were both in it.. xD, and since my friends can be reading this right now.. i've got one thing to say to you.. hello :wave:

*shit :banghead: :crazyeyes :shocking: :grump:

... :D
  • Options
    Lots of interestin comments all round...

moomog wrote:
    Zalbor is on the right track here… There is an assumption (among people who’ve never had this problem) that it is a conscious decision that you have made to wait until the ‘right one’ comes along. They assume you just need to ask someone and you’ll get, because that’s all they have to do. Bollocks. That kind of thinking pisses me off.

I agree with you....

The following statement is somewhat of a sweeping generalisation, so won't be true for all. But there are two stereotypes of individuals (most people probably are somewhere in between).

Firstly there is me, although I'd love to have a girlfriend and do all that couply stuff, things don't come easily too me. Although out of my friends who have similar personalities to my own ( quieter and less gregarious people) often once they do meet someone, it is much more likely to last longer and possibly are more suited to one another. Than people who have lots of relationships. An example in point is my brother, younger than me, taller than me, six pack, louder than me, and also thicker than me! Sorry bro but its true. A lot of girls seem to like him for some reason, i wonder why...? However the relationships he does have, often aren't long lasting. He also often seems to have very little in common with the people he goes out with. So probably a personality difference does effect these issues and the way different people approach relationships. Which is why it might be harder for me than for some other people. However to say I am waiting/saving myself for "the one" is ludacrious. After all their are many people who could potentially go out with anyone individual. Any thoughts..?
  • Options
    Don't worry, I'm 18 and have only had one girlfriend (if you could call her that) - lasted three / four weeks! Waste of three / four weeks of my life!

The Best Things Come To Those That Wait! - Remember this, and hope for the best, thats the only explantion / advice i have for you! In time, you will find someone! Think of it this way, if you have a relationship later in life you have more chance of it working out and it lasting longer - you will also have more pride!

If anyone wishes to query this, then please feel free!
  • Options
    What a coincidence. I live in Stafford and I have just started a very similar thread, not even having noticed this thread!
  • Options
    Why don’t you join something on the net like Faceparty.com or Facepic.They are not dating sites,but a great way to get to know other people.You maybe able to get to know nice girls in your area as friends like this and then when you’ve struck up a friendship maybe you could meet up and things could develop from there.Good Luck! :)
  • Options
    That's an odd thing to think about though. What's the point of living if you're condemned to be alone. Some people can be totally fine living alone, but most can't. It's in our nature to seek compainionship, and that's strange that somehow you're saying that nature is denied. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing, but that sounds a touch nihilistic.
  • Options
    Jemzbabez, I've not used the Face Party although I have heard of it. Is the idea is that you submit a picture and description of yourself and people can search for you on a database?
  • Options
    Faceparty: I'm a member on that (don't use it much though), the chat rooms are usually full of perverts, and about 90% of the rooms relate some way to sex (even the rooms with innocent names) - you go into them, and whats the first thing said? - Something relating to sex!

There are loads of idiots on there, ok, there may be a few nice ones, but the majority of people aren't and are there for the pure reason to annoy you (hell, most of them don't even reply to mail that you have sent them) - great!
  • Options
    Stafford wrote:
    Hi, I am a bit new to all this message board kinda thing, so I hope I am doning the right thing. This is my problem, which is kinda similar to a few other threads although slightly different. I just wonder if you have got any ideas....

Currently I am just finishing my third year at uni got one year left and I am just hoping my final year isn't as barron as my past 3.I am a 21 year old guy who has never had a girlfriend, this has really been getting me down of late. What makes it even worse is that all of my friends have boyfriends/girlfriend. Yet too me no matter hard I try I seem to get nowhere.

Unlike some of the other threads I have read on this site, I have quite a bit a self confidence, I go to various clubs at uni (when I am there) and although I wouldn't say I have got a great wide circle of friends. I do have a few although they are probably like partying a bit more than I do. I do go out to the guild and the pubs n clubs on occasions although I aint a great fan as i don't drink much (Unlike my friends) . I do have various female friends (most of whom now have boyfriends,) but I have never met a girl who would like me more than just friends. I am not really sure what I am doing wrong. Although I do have coeliac disease (allergy to gluten) and I ain't the greatest looker in the world. So I probably ain't the worlds greatest catch... I also seem to have an invariable habit of screwing things up and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. :banghead: I am just getting really worried that I am doomed to stay single for ever.....! :nervous: :crying:

Anyone got an ideas what I should do...?

I know how you feel mate i'm only 14 and i know i am still too young for a realationship but it sometimes gets me down.

I said something like what you said on a different message board and i was told that just act the way you are. Don't look for a girlfriend and soon you'll find the girl of your dreams. That hasen't worked yet but that was only 2 months ago good luck with the rest of your life ;)
  • Options
    I am the same at nearly 15 i never had a girlfriend...