Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Affordable Housing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does affordable housing exist?

The government seem to by forcing developers to provide high numbers of affordable homes in new housing developments but are these enough?

And while goverment policy seems to be providing affordable housing with one hand, it is taking it away with another by allowing Buy to Let properties become part of a persons pension portfolio (SIPPs, Pension A Day).

Is anyone else stuck in the same postion as me and my young family - you are not eligible for social housing, but cant afford to buy open market, so you are forced to rent privately??

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

No, cheapest i've seen is about £90,000.
  • Options
    All the social housing's been sold off and no more is being built. And people wonder why there's people sleeping and begging on the streets...
  • Options
    http://www.debutbyredrow.co.uk/

Not perfect, but it's a start.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    All the social housing's been sold off

How was it acquired before being sold off ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How was it acquired before being sold off ?

built by the government in the 50s mainly
  • Options
    I thought that the government had told local planning authorities to insist on new housing developments setting aside a certain %, (20-30%), of the units for social housing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    All the social housing's been sold off and no more is being built. And people wonder why there's people sleeping and begging on the streets...
    There are more empty houses now than there are homeless people, it should be noted.

Problem is, all the "social housing" is in northern England, and all the homeless seem to congregate in London.

I don't think "affordable housing" does exist. One way to make it exist would be to charge 300% council tax on second homes, rather than providing a 50% discount as at present.
  • Options

Not down here, it doesn't.

Even the Govt scheme for "vital workers" is still outside of most affordable ranges...
  • Options

:confused: Surely sales wouldn`t take place if it wasn`t "affordable"

seeker
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    http://www.debutbyredrow.co.uk/

Not perfect, but it's a start.

Thanx for the link. Anythings worth a try.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:

seeker

Sales are taking place because many people are already on the housing ladder, and can afford to trade up and down.

But first time buyers are priced out the market. Just think, the minimum wage provides a salary of approximately £10,000 - the 3 1/2 times salary multiplier most mortgage provides use would allow a person on that salary to borrow £35,000 that means that person would require a deposit of £55,000 to buy a £90,000 home. Even a graduate on £20,000 would only be allowed to borrow £70,000, and that would still require a £20,000 deposit to buy a £90,000 home.

I know mortgage providers will allow higher multipliers, with very much smaller deposits, but that causes people to over stretch themselves financially. Remember the monthly repayments, the larger the mortgage, the higher these are.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    This is true but for those people buying they might be in a better financial situation ie, in a couple, earning well above national average, inheritance etc. For most people buying a home means trying to get a mortgage thats large enough to allow them to buy something bigger than a one bedroom flat, me and my boyfriend have been looking and on our wages which are really quite good we were offered 100k! This will buy us practically nothing :impissed: The problem is wages haven't caught up with the housing prices increase and therefore everything is too costly!
  • Options
    Just ignore seeker, he's being pedantic.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Just ignore seeker, he's being pedantic.

Is he ? You appear to be an "expert" on the subject.Beware of "experts" :nervous:

Wouldn`t you accept that words are used(or read) in a way that make them emotionally evocative e.g. "aryan"? I feel that "being pedantic",as you put it,has served me well in stripping away the emotional "Orwellian double speak" and seeing things for what they really are. Perhaps the person who posed the question should have thought about it first, if they meant something else.Then again,they may have wanted to appeal to people`s emotions.I don`t know.

I think that if you want to find some answers as to why there is a bubble in house prices perhaps you should look again at the "people vs. bankers" thread.Unless,of course,you don`t think it relates to your life ;)

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Is he ? You appear to be an "expert" on the subject.Beware of "experts" :nervous:

Why talk about yourself in the third person - it's a sign of either arrogance or madness. Also why beware of experts, by defenition they know most about the subject and have informed opinions, rather than some half-digested ideas they made up down the pub.
    Wouldn`t you accept that words are used(or read) in a way that make them emotionally evocative e.g. "aryan"? I feel that "being pedantic",as you put it,has served me well in stripping away the emotional "Orwellian double speak" and seeing things for what they really are. Perhaps the person who posed the question should have thought about it first, if they meant something else.Then again,they may have wanted to appeal to people`s emotions.I don`t know.

I think that if you want to find some answers as to why there is a bubble in house prices perhaps you should look again at the "people vs. bankers" thread.Unless,of course,you don`t think it relates to your life ;)

Whilst a 'fascinating' discourse on what language means it doesn't move a discussion on houisng forward one iota.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Why talk about yourself in the third person - it's a sign of either arrogance or madness. Also why beware of experts, by defenition they know most about the subject and have informed opinions, rather than some half-digested ideas they made up down the pub.

Is NQA an "expert" on madness and arrogance? If someone,factually,knows the most about a subject that makes them,in this context, a superlative,so there can only be one expert.How you,or anyone,could quantify that is anyone`s guess :chin: So,who then,qualifies as an "expert" ?

NQA wrote:
    Whilst a 'fascinating' discourse on what language means it doesn't move a discussion on houisng forward one iota.

Thanks for the ermmmmm compliment.Try the 2nd paragraph,it might help,but do tread carefully :p

seeker
  • Options
    Today, 12:07 PM
    Remove user from ignore list
    seeker
    This message is hidden because seeker is on your ignore list.
  • Options
    Housing provision has always required state intervention, this is true everywhere. Something to do with the businesses involved not having many assets so in times of recession they need to rely on high interest loans to invest in their business, thus falling even further behind other business sectors which have more assets and cash.