Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Violent Crime Reduction Bill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just thought i'd bring this bill to your attention, cause to be quite honest, laws like these are gonna break this country.

Pretty much the VCR intends to ban the sale, import and export of all replica firearms. A replica is determined by whether it could be mistaken for a real gun by a 'reasonable' person.

This bill will totally destroy a sport i absolutely love called Airsoft. (Airsoft is pretty much like paintball exept you use guns that fire 6mm plastic balls instead of paint, and the guns are all replicas. It doesnt hurt and is totally safe and enjoyed by over 9,000 peope in the UK).

To me this bill is appalling. Just because groups such as 'mothers against guns' have DECIDED that replicas can be converted to fire live ammunition, the government have taken this FALSE fact on board.
The fact is, there are currently no LEGAL replica firearms that can be converted to fire live ammunition, mainly because most are made from plastic.

The only replicas that can be converted are 9mm forward venting blank firers, which are ILLEGAL under current UK law.

This bil is going to get its second reading at the end of this month and may be in effect by november.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to point out the severe injustice of it all.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I guess it sucks in that respect. Although from one perspective, it is obviously beneficial to society as a whole. Sure, some people, like yourself, only use replica fire-arms for non-harmful purposes. Yet there are many who use them pretty much as weapons. I think the majority of people will be pleased with this bill.
  • Options
    Tough shit.
  • Options
    TBH - its long overdue. Play paintball or get weapons which don't look realistic.
  • Options
    I don't givre a shit about the firearms aspect of this law.

What I am bricking it about is the ban on demonstrations without police approval within 1/2 mile of Parliament. One person is a demonstration.

Democracy? Where'd that go? And the UK government have the cheek to slag off Middle eastern countries.
  • Options
    This is for one reason and one reason only - so the coppers can shoot anyone who even looks vaguely armed.

If no one is supposed to have even a replica, then the police will be perfectly justified in blowing the head off anyone who is even vaguely armed.

Hola. police state!

No assembly, no real or false weapons. Hmmmm do you trust this government?

How about the next?
  • Options
    foo wrote:
    Pretty much the VCR intends to ban the sale, import and export of all replica firearms. A replica is determined by whether it could be mistaken for a real gun by a 'reasonable' person.

Have you considered that the "reasonable person" making that link, might be the person whom the replica is being pointed at. That they may be facing the thought that their life is about to end if they don't hand over their cash?

Just a thought but you cannot argue that in that instance there is no harm.

I may not agree with this provision but surely you understand the thinking behind it.

On the law in question, regardless of the firearms aspect, it another bullshit attempt to restrict our rights. I'm sure that the "increased security risks" will be used to justify it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What I am bricking it about is the ban on demonstrations without police approval within 1/2 mile of Parliament. One person is a demonstration.

Democracy? Where'd that go? And the UK government have the cheek to slag off Middle eastern countries.

Couldn't agree more.

They're even talking about moving that one-man protest against the Iraq war on. Apparently, MPs say he's an 'eyesore' and he distracts them from their work. Diddums!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4096194.stm

It must be so hard running a country, without all these naughty ordinary people trying to have their say. Why can't they just bugger off and let the intelligent classes do what's best? it's for their own good you know. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the filth have banned one of the G8 marches.
  • Options
    The gun laws in this country are a disgrace. The US has the right idea with its armed citnzenry.
  • Options
    As it's firearm related injury tally will show you...
  • Options
    really?

considering a US president has been shot while surrounded by some of the best trained armed guards in the world, how does having a gun stop you from getting robbed?
  • Options
    True murder rates are higher, but robbery rates and minor crime rates are far lower.

It goes deeper than that, however. The government is not something to be respected - the true role of the citizenry is to be suspicious of the government and to take action against it when it oversteps the mark. Armed people are citizens, not subjects.
  • Options
    True murder rates are higher, but robbery rates and minor crime rates are far lower.

Which you you prefer, having to put in an insurance claim or death?
    It goes deeper than that, however. The government is not something to be respected - the true role of the citizenry is to be suspicious of the government and to take action against it when it oversteps the mark. Armed people are citizens, not subjects.

I don't completely disagree with you, but as usual you put it very simplistically and completely miss so much...
  • Options

What an absolute load of nonsense.

You really have no concept of reality. An armed citizenry are nothing in comparison to a modern military force - hence AK-47 wielding fanatics resorting to suicide bombings because they can't win a fire-fight against the US military. Do you really, honestly, seriously believe a bunch of rednecks with shooters keeps the US government in check? :no:

Our societies are manipulated and controlled into obedience - armed resistance (with some exclusions - the far-right, nationalist struggles etc) is next to inconceivable.
  • Options
    I'd trust the Government ahead of the inbreds up in Montana.

Owning a gun doesn't empower people any more than not owning one does. It does, however, greatly increase their chances of being killed- guns may be very easy to get hold of now, but if every loony could get hold of one I'd be terrified.
  • Options
    Owning a gun certainly does keep the power of the government in check. You are forgetting that the US federal government is much weaher at home than it is abroad.
  • Options
    You do make me laugh Mat. :D
  • Options
    Owning a gun certainly does keep the power of the government in check. You are forgetting that the US federal government is much weaher at home than it is abroad.

Okay - how does owning a gun keep the power of the government in check? Please tell me how this works? Examples of where US policy has been changed or affected somehow by an armed citizenry?

And how is the federal government much weaker at home than abroad?

Sounds like you're making statements straight off the top of your head :yes: .
  • Options
    I'm genuinely interested- which planet do you inhabit?

Your tenuous grasp on reality is quite humourous though.
  • Options
    You do make me laugh Mat.

Glad to be of service. The self flagellation of the Left must be interrupted by some laughter.
    Okay - how does owning a gun keep the power of the government in check? Please tell me how this works? Examples of where US policy has been changed or affected somehow by an armed citizenry?

Because the government cannot impose its rules by force. Only through consensus does the government govern an armed citizenry. Can you imagine what would happen if the Federal government tried to take away all the Americans guns?
    And how is the federal government much weaker at home than abroad?

Because the founding fathers didnt envisage the US striding the World as the sole superpower. All the checks and balances in the American constitution serve to limit the power of the federal government domestically . There is no such limits on the President abroad - he is the commander in chief of the armed forces.
  • Options
    Because the government cannot impose its rules by force.

So, start by explaining Waco, and let's see where that takes us...
  • Options

Whats to explain? They were obviously psychopaths.
  • Options
    :D
    :D come on mat ...
  • Options
    Whats to explain? They were obviously psychopaths.

Who, the Govt or the people they killed?
  • Options
    Who, the Govt or the people they killed?

Both?

Being Northern Irish I lived in a society where some of the citzenry held guns in an attempt to compell the Government to do things there way. I am now quite happy to live in a society where the majority trust the Government enough to be happy to go through the ballot box.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    This is for one reason and one reason only - so the coppers can shoot anyone who even looks vaguely armed.

If no one is supposed to have even a replica, then the police will be perfectly justified in blowing the head off anyone who is even vaguely armed.

Hola. police state!

No assembly, no real or false weapons. Hmmmm do you trust this government?

How about the next?

This is already the case as the CARRYING/BRANDISHING of replica firearms is already illegal. The police can also blow your head off if you carry a table leg (its been done). Maybe we should ban tables?
  • Options
    I've been robbed at gunpoint. I later found out it was a replica. I'd rather they weren't for sale. End of.
  • Options
    Why own a replica gun at all?

I'm sorry, but anyone who feels the need to own a replica is rather odd, and I don't think they can be trusted.
  • Options
    foo wrote:
    This is already the case as the CARRYING/BRANDISHING of replica firearms is already illegal. The police can also blow your head off if you carry a table leg (its been done). Maybe we should ban tables?

Somehow I knew that this would be mentioned, I'm surprised that you haven't covered knives yet.

Still, the case you refer to isn't quite that clear cut, is it. Apart from the fact that the man involved was a known violent criminal who brandished the table leg (which was in a bag) at police. A normal person would have just put the thing down.

Still doesn't detract from the view here that the banning of replica guns isn't something that we really worry about.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've been robbed at gunpoint.

You are not alone

irsgun.gif
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why own a replica gun at all?

I'm sorry, but anyone who feels the need to own a replica is rather odd, and I don't think they can be trusted.

id like an m15 assault rifle replica :love:
    they look nice :D

i dispair at people who buy celeb autobigraphies, lets ban them