Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drugs and relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi guys,
new here maybe posting on the wrong board but maybe you can tell me what you think
so ive been with the guy for 2 years we're going to get married, he used to do drugs a long time ago but hasnt since we have been together.. but tonight hes gone out with the intention of taking something, i've spent the whole weekend asking him not to im pretty anti drugs and with good reason
was i totally out of order asking him not to? seeing as i wouldnt have even started going out with him if i had known that i would be put in this position , i thought his days of doing drugs were over,
what do you think boys and girls am i just being really ridiculous?
cheers rosie

Comments

• Options
    well to be honest its his choice, hes a big boy now any old enough to make his own decisions so leave him be, if you think it becomes an addiction problem then talk to him and discuss getting help but until then (if it ever happens) then just leave alone.
    You've made your feelings clear on how you feel about him taking drugs so theres not much else you can do
  • Options
    I agree with Icey, its his choice whether he goes out and takes drugs.
    You haven't mentioned the "good reason" why you are anti-drugs but if it's really that serious in your own head then theres only 1 option unfortunately and thats to leave him, but I personally think this is a bit severe.
    Talk to him again and tell him how strongly you feel about it and try get him to stop, I doubt he will though. Then your going to have to think seriously about what you want before you jump into marriage.
  • Options
    rosiepea wrote:
    hi guys,
    new here maybe posting on the wrong board but maybe you can tell me what you think
    so ive been with the guy for 2 years we're going to get married, he used to do drugs a long time ago but hasnt since we have been together.. but tonight hes gone out with the intention of taking something, i've spent the whole weekend asking him not to im pretty anti drugs and with good reason
    was i totally out of order asking him not to? seeing as i wouldnt have even started going out with him if i had known that i would be put in this position , i thought his days of doing drugs were over,
    cheers rosie
    its his choice. but you are entitled to your opinion. so you were not "totally out of order for asking him." it sounds like you just wanted whats best for him. i mean, is this time just be a one off... due to stress may be... or something similar? or is he likely to continue? and do you feel if he does cont. it will put strain on your relationship? - if thats the case, you need to have a serious talk to him about how you feel... let him know where you stand and allow him to make up his mind... but bear in mind... at the end of the day, its his choice. :)
  • Options
    as the rest have said. it's his choice, i know it might be hard for you to understand if you've lost a family member to drugs or something like that to drugs but if you know what you're doing and you do it sensibly then going out and taking a few E's or whatever is just as normal as going out for a few pints, let him have a bit of fun, if it turns into a problem, then start worrying...
  • Options
    I gave up drugs for my ex-girlfriend because she used to be worried sick when I was out taking them. It was my decision - she never forced me. It kept her happy while I abstained but tbh I missed out on alot of good craic with my mates and stuff. I never really felt the need to go back to drugs, because I had made a promise to her, but I did miss some of the sessions with my mates. We eventually split up, nothing to do with the drugs or anything, and needless to say, I went back to my ways :p .

I don't know if I could have ever mixed a girlfriend and a drugs life but I've started seeing a girl at Uni, and have been reluctant to tell her what sort of things I get up to. I will eventually if things become more serious, but just not now. But you should take heart from the that your fella is honest and tells you what he is going to do, instead of doing the fly one, and going behind your back. Hopefully you can sort it out.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    I gave up drugs for my ex-girlfriend because she used to be worried sick when I was out taking them. It was my decision - she never forced me. It kept her happy while I abstained but tbh I missed out on alot of good craic with my mates and stuff. I never really felt the need to go back to drugs, because I had made a promise to her, but I did miss some of the sessions with my mates. We eventually split up, nothing to do with the drugs or anything, and needless to say, I went back to my ways :p .

I don't know if I could have ever mixed a girlfriend and a drugs life but I've started seeing a girl at Uni, and have been reluctant to tell her what sort of things I get up to. I will eventually if things become more serious, but just not now. But you should take heart from the that your fella is honest and tells you what he is going to do, instead of doing the fly one, and going behind your back. Hopefully you can sort it out.

lol...would i be right in saying she ended the relationship? Trying to get you to give up the drugs would be her way of testing your male dominance...
  • Options
    rosiepea wrote:
    hi guys,
    cheers rosie

To say you wouldn't have gone out him if you'd have known he'd "take drugs" is very shallow...and you're going to get married? Does it really matter if he occasionally does drugs...?? Your perception of drugs is manufactured by the powerful - it's manipulation. Don't believe everything you're told - i take drugs and i'm wonderful :yes: .
  • Options
    "To say you wouldn't have gone out him if you'd have known he'd "take drugs" is very shallow...and you're going to get married? Does it really matter if he occasionally does drugs...?? Your perception of drugs is manufactured by the powerful - it's manipulation. Don't believe everything you're told - i take drugs and i'm wonderful ."

OK I don't think tis shallow at all, look at it that either drugs are terrible things or their not and eithier wya she isn't unreasonable to ask him to stop.
    If their dangerous its reasonable for her to ask as she cares for him will worry when he does ti and get upset frequently and worry about the chacnes of him beign an addict and al that other negative crap.

If their not dangerous and not that bad and all our minds have been horribly warped by the goverment... then why wont he mind giving it up?
    I mean say your partner said "don't eat smarties ever, please, my hamster ate one when I was 4 and choked and i've been traumatised ever sicne" you wouldn't REALLY mind giving them up woudl you?

If a partner does soemthing that a partner truely hates and it is:
    A)dangerous (depending on what hes taknig and wheres he getting it from)
    B)self destructive
    C)has no positive affect on his or her life

then I think its disrespectful. Its not unreasonable to dislike drugs and worry abotu users. Its not like hes meat eater and dating a veggie... hes taking illegal substances that could potentially kill them fully understanding that she hates it.
  • Options
    OK I don't think tis shallow at all, look at it that either drugs are terrible things or their not and eithier wya she isn't unreasonable to ask him to stop.
    If their dangerous its reasonable for her to ask as she cares for him will worry when he does ti and get upset frequently and worry about the chacnes of him beign an addict and al that other negative crap.

If their not dangerous and not that bad and all our minds have been horribly warped by the goverment... then why wont he mind giving it up?
    I mean say your partner said "don't eat smarties ever, please, my hamster ate one when I was 4 and choked and i've been traumatised ever sicne" you wouldn't REALLY mind giving them up woudl you?

Perhaps he won't mind giving up, perhaps he will. I could equally say to you, what would you do if your boyfriend wanted you to stop drinking alcohol? That means every party, every club, every pub - you're on the fruit juice because your boyfriend's worried about ye - a bit much eh?

Of course it's shallow - if you're going to marry someone, surely it's the actual person you're interested in, not that they very occasionally do drugs.
    If a partner does soemthing that a partner truely hates and it is:
    A)dangerous (depending on what hes taknig and wheres he getting it from)
    B)self destructive
    C)has no positive affect on his or her life

then I think its disrespectful. Its not unreasonable to dislike drugs and worry abotu users. Its not like hes meat eater and dating a veggie... hes taking illegal substances that could potentially kill them fully understanding that she hates it.

Self-destruction and addiction are nearly always the result of underlying pyschological problems - i.e. drug addiction is a symptom of a deep problem, not the root cause.

This bird's b/f sounds like a normal recreational drug user who'd had enough of the whole thing but occasionally goes back for special occasions. You have to give each other space if a relationship is to work.

As for no positive effects on people's lives - who said there were no positive effects? I've had some absolutely spankin' experiences on drugs, experiences which can only be had through drug use. So it can definitely enrich your life.
  • Options
    i think that you both have entirely different morals.

Does it upset and worry you, about his welfare, the thought of him doing drugs?

Think about this scenario, if you had a hobby that had some possible risks, and your partner was morally against it, and worried sick about you every time you did it, would you give it up for him? what would be more important; the hobby or him?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i think that you both have entirely different morals.

Does it upset and worry you, about his welfare, the thought of him doing drugs?

Think about this scenario, if you had a hobby that had some possible risks, and your partner was morally against it, and worried sick about you every time you did it, would you give it up for him? what would be more important; the hobby or him?

Is that to the original poster or me?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Is that to the original poster or me?

original poster sory if it wasnt clear