Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

mps seeking to increase smoking age to 18

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the point is, this government has some rather noble causes, its methods of doing them is to put in stricter laws rather than encouraging social change, which in terms of smoking in particular has been very effective

80% of smokers took up habit as a teenager
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3631670.stm

imo im sure many of those started at under 16

the way forward is education and marketing against smoking, which has halved the numbers of smokers in the past 30 years, surely we should continue this, cause most and foremost, over 16s who start smoking normally do so as a choice, was the case with most i know, even if they do get hooked after, its a choice, and there is no difference between a 16-17 yr old and a 18+
  • Options
    The witch hunt against smoking is getting tiring. What next? An age limit on fast food? Let people take responsibility for their own actions...

Absolutely.

Never ceases to amaze me how a lot of people who consider themselves libertarians turn into complete sanctimonious health-fascists whenever the issue of smoking comes up.

I'm up for a compromise - ban smoking in enclosed spaces, except in smoking rooms separated from the main workplace/pub/whatever by a door. That way, smokers get somewhere to have a fag, and non-smokers don't have to breathe in smoke. That sounds eminently logical to me - but obviously nothing short of a total ban will do for ASH and the rest of the puffed-up, self-righteous drones.
  • Options
    Any place can be spot checked by undercover people. It doesn't matter if I was the fact still remains the age limit is there. By those rules is it OK that I drive a car around with L plates on at 15 just because I want to?

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see why those two examples are incompatible. It's starkly obvious. I suppose you're one of those people who believe in the law 100% "because rules are rules" eh?
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Absolutely.

Never ceases to amaze me how a lot of people who consider themselves libertarians turn into complete sanctimonious health-fascists whenever the issue of smoking comes up.

I'm up for a compromise - ban smoking in enclosed spaces, except in smoking rooms separated from the main workplace/pub/whatever by a door. That way, smokers get somewhere to have a fag, and non-smokers don't have to breathe in smoke. That sounds eminently logical to me - but obviously nothing short of a total ban will do for ASH and the rest of the puffed-up, self-righteous drones.

exactly places where they have designated smoking areas and ventilation should be allowed and those that dont, well no smoking then, its fair and practical
  • Options
    exactly places where they have designated smoking areas and ventilation should be allowed and those that dont, well no smoking then, its fair and practical

Agreed. It's not exactly difficult to work out the logical and correct compromise. At least in England, there won't be a total blanket ban. Up here in Scotland it seems we're going to have a blanket ban - the problem of having a parliament populated by jumped-up councillors :no: .
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Agreed. It's not exactly difficult to work out the logical and correct compromise. At least in England, there won't be a total blanket ban. Up here in Scotland it seems we're going to have a blanket ban - the problem of having a parliament populated by jumped-up councillors :no: .

councillors really are the crap of the earth who try too hard to do the right thing by actually making you hate the idea, it's like theyre anally liberal which is a contradiction of terms
  • Options
    More importantly, the newsagent featured in the photo in the bbc article is my local newsagent!!!!. Thats Meldrums!.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see why those two examples are incompatible. It's starkly obvious. I suppose you're one of those people who believe in the law 100% "because rules are rules" eh?

They are not incompatible at all. The argument was that if you want to drink under age you should be allowed. By that argument you should be allowed to do anything you want under age. Anyone with ANY intelligence should be able to see that you can't just do anything you want at any age.
  • Options
    They are not incompatible at all. The argument was that if you want to drink under age you should be allowed. By that argument you should be allowed to do anything you want under age. Anyone with ANY intelligence should be able to see that you can't just do anything you want at any age.

:confused: serving alcohol to an under 18 who looks as though they're able to handle drink is totally incompatible to letting ANY 15 year old drive a car...
  • Options

You're manipulating what i've said until it isn't what i've said.

16 year olds will drink booze and smoke fags to the same extent whether it's legal or illegal. Seeing how this is the case, i don't see any proper reason to have an age limit about 16.
  • Options
    Turlough I see now it isn't OK for ALL 15 year olds to drive a car only the ones that LOOK old enough. Silly me.

Spliffe so you are saying there should be no age limit?
  • Options
    Turlough I see now it isn't OK for ALL 15 year olds to drive a car only the ones that LOOK old enough. Silly me.

looking like you are able to handle drink and looking like you are able to drive a car are two totally different things, i'd take sex and weight into consideration and also the amount of drink the person is buying if i was to sell alcohol to a 16 year old, you can't say "oh he's tall, he must be able to drive", the comparison really is incompatible...