Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GP vs. Private Health Care

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had to laugh at this story today.

What you may not realise is that most GPs are private. The NHS is just their main customer.

Is suspect that there is more concern about the competition element... especially when you link it to this story from the same conference.

Even more irony comes when you consider who would be providing the care - doctors!

Just to add to my joy about the BMA's GP conference is the comments about out-of-hours services. You will probably have noticed that 90% of GPs no longer offer this service and it's provided by collaboratives. Not the best solution from any perspective. So again I laugh when I read this piece and also this. Can't they see the link between the two?

If GPs are so concerned, why aren't they providing the service? The reason why "external" doctors are needed, or more patients are seeing nurses/paramedics is because UK based doctors don't want to offer this service. Believe me, the NHS doesn't really want to pay for some German GP to fly over here just for a clinic...