Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drowning out thoughts / feelings?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
whats a sensible way of drowning out my thoughts and feelings???

Comments

• Options
    Hmm try meditating or listening to a hypnosis cd
  • Options
    Work out why the thoughts/feelings are there, and "solve" them.

Try relaxation exercises
    or try doing some form of physical exercise often a release for some people.
  • Options
    I'll probably get slated for this but go out with mates, get pissed and enjoy yourself, obviously dont get soooo drunk you'll feel even worse or put yourself in a vunerable position but it will take your mind off things and will pick you up

failing that, keep yourself busy-work/hobbies etc
  • Options
    its not quite drowning them out but writing them all down helps me, you never have to read it again if you dont want to just let it all out in a big rant in a diary
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    whats a sensible way of drowning out my thoughts and feelings???
    impossible.
    deal with them by first writting it all down ...doesnt have to make sense to anyone else ...write it on paper.
    then ...look at dealing with it.
    then ...bring it out in the open ...
  • Options
    lexijb wrote:
    Work out why the thoughts/feelings are there, and "solve" them.

Try relaxation exercises
    or try doing some form of physical exercise often a release for some people.

yes, solve them :yes:

as hard as it is to do, the reason you have bad thoughts and feelings is because there are problems.

problems of course, need solving.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    Hmm try meditating
    :yes: meditation is good. i never can do it when i'm upset or really stressed though. i tend to do it just as a relaxation method when i guess i'm already quite calm... i always feel like i have to be calm and not stressed before i try to meditate... so i'm already in that sort of mood... if that makes sense?!
    deal with them by first writting it all down ...doesnt have to make sense to anyone else ...write it on paper.
    i might try that. i guess it might be easier to make sense of stuff if i write it all down rather than try to bottle it up inside??!
    Replicant wrote:
    problems of course, need solving.
    yes. but they (problems) depend a lot on other people... and i rekon its impossible to "solve" them for that reason.
    thoughts / feelings is me beating myself up for everything.
  • Options
    Art or mindfulness
  • Options
    These /\/\ people speak wisely. As a temporary measure you can distract yourself from thoughts and feelings through all manner of methods from art to music to reading to films to exercise (yes sex counts) to drinking. Yet escaping from your thoughts rather than dealing with them, especially through the use of drugs, alcohol, injury or obessively hanging out with someone else will not make these feelings go away. Only by you addressing, accepting and dealing with them can you get some peace of mind.

You can do this yourself by writing it all out or talking to someone close to you about it or you can seek counselling or call a telephone helpline

Take care of you

Susie x
  • Options
    thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    i'm trying to solve my problems at the moment.... drinking hasnt worked. smoking certainly hasnt. just going to have to try and build myself a new life i think. what you trying to forget?
  • Options
    When you work out what to do please tell me. I've been puzzling the same question for years........
  • Options
    i'm trying to solve my problems at the moment.... drinking hasnt worked. smoking certainly hasnt. just going to have to try and build myself a new life i think.

Ditto to everything you just said. I keep tormenting myself in my head and nothing seems to stop it. So I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and solve it. But when I'm ready.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When you work out what to do please tell me. I've been puzzling the same question for years........
    I'd say the same thing...