Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

woman ordered to marry rapist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4095824.stm

Horrific. I despair for what some people have to go through because of religion.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's pretty fucked up. :mad:
  • Options
    wtf :eek2:
    the woman should leave the country!
  • Options
    Thats fucked up.

This leads us back to our discussion about Western Liberal values over those kind of practices.

Is it not up to us to stamp this kind of thing out?
  • Options
    feelings or common human rights of choice and free will don't come into it then?!
  • Options
    Thats fucked up.

This leads us back to our discussion about Western Liberal values over those kind of practices.

No it leads you back to your weird brand of "logic".
  • Options
    feelings or common human rights of choice and free will don't come into it then?!

Why should a woman being forced to marry the man who raped her be defended under 'free will'?
  • Options
    Why was she going to get punished! Thats so stupid and seriously wrong!
  • Options
    Why should a woman being forced to marry the man who raped her be defended under 'free will'?

and what do you propose...Operation Indian Liberation
  • Options
    So you agree that the West should be doing more to stop this kind of behaviour?
  • Options
    So you agree that the West should be doing more to stop this kind of behaviour?

you talking to me? i said what do you propose
  • Options
    Ideas of "western ideals" have nothing to do with this case.

What is at issue is religion, and how backward and retarded it is. All of it. The Christians in Texas boning their sisters and lynching gays are no more civilised.
  • Options
    I'd kind of agree with you Kermit, but I would qualify it and say that fundamentalist religion is the problem. People who believe in the literal word of their chosen holy book. I know a few religous types who see the Bible, Koran etc for what they are - metaphor and allegory written in a particular historical and social context, not THE INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd kind of agree with you Kermit, but I would qualify it and say that fundamentalist religion is the problem.

yes, I quite agree, omission noted.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:

What is at issue is religion, and how backward and retarded it is. All of it. The Christians in Texas boning their sisters and lynching gays are no more civilised.

Nail. Head. Hit.

Rearrange as necessary. Same with my spelling of rearrange, probably.

But yes, that is a problem. Its not an excuse to impress Western ways of life on them. Its Religion and its faults. Not just this religion, but pretty much ALL religions.
  • Options
    Its as much local culture as it is religion, but religion often adopts traditions as it moves through areas.
  • Options
    But a top Muslim body in India has rejected the argument saying it is not valid under Sharia (Islamic) law.

It says the council was not authorised to give such a verdict and added that the alleged rapist should be punished.
    A senior police officer, Amrinder Singh Senger, told the BBC that police have now filed a case against the woman's father-in-law .

So, it isn't part of religion at all then ............

Its a corrupt local council of elders. And it isn't happening.

:eek2:
  • Options
    so what was for dinner?
  • Options
    Thats fucked up.

I bet your bedrooms a right shithole, old pizza, sticky tissues, fungal pants everywhere. And you want to run around the world sorting people out? Where are your liberal values? :lol:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd kind of agree with you Kermit, but I would qualify it and say that fundamentalist religion is the problem. People who believe in the literal word of their chosen holy book. I know a few religous types who see the Bible, Koran etc for what they are - metaphor and allegory written in a particular historical and social context, not THE INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD
    Ans what do you propose we do? Prevent them from being allowed to worship and believe what they do?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Ahhh, but religion is based on a type of wisdom that leads to a state of God, a state of being and righteousness, therefore the word both leads to and comes from God.
    From this state laws and direction is given and therefore this is the word of God being the word of this hidden spirit, this state of being.
    Belief and faith and spiritual discipleship are what get's a person to that state and when he speaks from this wisdom and knowledge he is speaking the word of God. When you find that state of being it's clear somehow that this is the very force that keeps life going. Unfortunately it's not easy to stay in that state as things lead us atray and the masses are generaly godless people. I've got reasonably close before (at least it feels that way to me) and then fallen away again.
    It's about giving your spirit and love and thoughts to god and recieving the same in return. I'm really no expert to be honest and I'm not in that state at the moment so this isn't reall going to be that helpfull.

Top prize for the most use of 'state' in a post :p
  • Options
    I bet your bedrooms a right shithole, old pizza, sticky tissues, fungal pants everywhere. And you want to run around the world sorting people out? Where are your liberal values? :lol:

Good tutorial to explain "liberal values"(the supreme excellence is simplicity) :thumb:

seeker
  • Options
    Western 'values' certainly aren't superior to any other cultures values.

This is a case of cultural relativism!

Who are YOU (yes YOU rainbowbrite, since you started this thread) to question the values of other cultures?

Isn't it wrong to question things? :p
  • Options
    Who are YOU (yes YOU rainbowbrite, since you started this thread) to question the values of other cultures?
    I know what youre saying, but this woman has feelings just like any western woman, and who are we to stand back while someones rights are just completely violated.
    In some cases Id agree with you, but this is just plain wrong, and thats why its not going ahead any more I think.
  • Options
    Nine inch nails' writing style does seem awfully familiar, but I'm probably mistaken in thinking its who I think it is.

Cultural relativism is a non-argument.
  • Options
    It's all about cultural relativism!

It's their culture. Who are you to state they have no right to practice it? Other than offending your Western sensibilities?

Heh, the MAJORITY of people in the world are religious! This won't change anytime soon!
  • Options
    who are we to stand back while someones rights are just completely violated.

What are 'rights'? Rights are culture dependent!
  • Options
    Oh, looks like the mods agreed with who I thought it was.

Moronocrat doesn't seem to get hints.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The Christians in Texas are more civilised.

This is terrible, Islam can't seem to get its head around rape - the victim seems to the one that gets punished a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Arranged marriage doesn't just happen in Islam, nor does rape?

People used to make their kids marry certain people here in the UK and they were Christians.
  • Options
    What are 'rights'? Rights are culture dependent!

least he made a dnb thread

back on topic, religion dont make people are bad, bad people who adopt religion are the problem....

i know good friendly muslims and koran bashing muslims like i know good friendly athiest people and i know of "people who have religion deserve to die" athiests