Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NVQ2 tranining, and lunch breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been working at a residental home for 2 weeks, and i going to do NVQ training soon. But what should i expect, and should my lunch break go up coz i only get 10mins at the mo!!!! :crazyeyes

please help i dont want to get done over!!

louxxx

Comments

• Options
    opps still trying to get used to the site!!!
  • Options
    You only get 10 minutes?! Is tht legal? Get yourself a union girl!
  • Options
    It depends how long you work for I suppose, and how old you are. Can you give us some more information please!
  • Options
    The most hours i've worked so far are 12 but i'll be sleeping in next next week, and 17.
    But were do i go for one of those union things?
  • Options
    If you work six hours or more in any one day you're entitled to a break of 20 minutes during the day. The break doesn't have to be paid.

That's the bare minumum, various sectors have far more generous arrangements worked out between unions and management. I'd have thought Unison www.unison.org.uk would cover your sector but I might be wrong
  • Options
    For every four hours of work you are entitled to a break of ten minutes I believe. That's the minimum.

Workers on longer shifts have more entitlements to more breaks.

A worker can work a maximum of 48 hours in any seven days. A worker has a right to eleven hours rest in any 24.

Don't bother with a union just yet, you would be best off talking to ACAS, the independent employment rights and mediation service. Their website is www.acas.org.uk