Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Talking Car Alarm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever encoutered one of these devices?

I picked on up from Maplins for half price - but don't know if it's worth fitting

it's supposed to send out radar waves or something and detect people even standing near your car and warn them the car is protected. Rather then have them smash the windows or something and then find out when the alarm goes off.

Wondering if I should fit it or give it to a friend who van has been broken into a few times now - although not sure if it would work for a big van

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Like the one on Phoenix Nights? "Get back ya bastards, I'll break yer legs"
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Like the one on Phoenix Nights? "Get back ya bastards, I'll break yer legs"

I was about to say that.

I so want one for my car:(
  • Options
    I'd be tempted to boot a car if it tried to strike up a conversation. Or even a monologue.
  • Options
    There's one in my street. It goes off if someone just walks by it, on the pavement! It's bloody irritating and I'm pretty sure people have pissed on it. :eek:
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    I'd be tempted to boot a car if it tried to strike up a conversation. Or even a monologue.

See that's what I was thinking - I was wondering if the fact it talks would make your car more of a target, how long do these things wait before they start having a conversation with you?
  • Options
    Normally they just say a pre-programmed response like "car alarmed, step away" or something, and repeat it a couple of times. Then if the person is still there the alarm goes off.
  • Options
    My mate's mum has got one on her MX5, and apparently its got a couple of different things that it says. Not had chance to play with it yet though :(
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    When I was yonger a car with a talking alarm used to become even more of a target.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    When I was yonger a car with a talking alarm used to become even more of a target.

That what I was thinking, but I think for my friend's plumbing van which has a lot of expensive stuff inthe back it might be a positive so anyone hanging around it knows it's alarmed, with a van it's the contents inthe back that's the real target for a thief rather then the radio or car vehicle itself.

Although I was thinking a standard PIR type alarm as used in a bedroom might work, argos do one for £15 with radio keyfob and it runs off a battery, really the back of his van is the same as a mini room and what you want to sense is someone entering that space??