Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Will Britain ever be a super-power again?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah well, seems you meant something other than I what I supposed, Al. In that case, you are confusing terms a bit. Its not "isolationism" that America has displayed by its repeated warmongering, but rather "exceptionalism" (i.e the presumption of being above the rule of law which it demands be applied to others).
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm mixing up the terms. What I mean is that when practically the entire world was against intervention in Iraq (other than lapdog Blair and a couple of other arse-lickers) and the UN did not authorise force but the US ignored all of this and waged a war anyway, the US was isolating itself from the international community and doing what it pleased.

But come to think of it, perhaps the term I should have been thinking of is unilateralism, not isolationism.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But come to think of it, perhaps the term I should have been thinking of is unilateralism, not isolationism.

Thats the one! I've been thinking since you made that first comment...hmm...theres a word for this.
  • Options
    Britain is a small island of 60 million people with a poor recent record of building things.
    Japan is also a small island but is a very sucessful manufacturer of stuff and thus emits a global presence. This is how China has gained traction on the world stage and Russia dependent on its rate of modernisation may follow.
    Britain is small and will remain so.
  • Options
    Suicidal Patronising

In simplistic terms, here it is:

Britain, a small country learns how to trade, make weapons and develop a civilised society. Britain then uses this knowedge to colonise less developed countries, e.g australia, parts of Africa, India. Although other nations have empires, e.g France, Britain has the biggest. Britain is therefore the most powerful, the superpower. European Imperialism reaches it's peak, world war 1 breaks out, and Britain's empire, along with it's power starts to disintergrate.

The USA, a big country once part of the British Empire, becomes rich from the war when most countries become crippled. Through a cycle of prosperity, it becomes rich. A Superpower. America suffers a depression, but so does the world as a result; the US doesn't lose any power.

Britain, once a quarter of the world, becomes a small stone in a big pond once again. The U.S.A, the 4th largest country in the world develops it's wealth and becomes a superpower*.

The moral of the story?
    Big country = lots of people = lots of taxes = lots of money = lots of weapons = power

Why else will Luxembourg never be a superpower?

Go on, tell me why I'm wrong, curse at me, but remember one thing:

Britiain once owned most of the U.S and if it wasn't for France (amoungst other things), we would still govern it.

*The USSR has been omitted from this story.
  • Options
    Britiain once owned most of the U.S and if it wasn't for France (amoungst other things), we would still govern it.

no we wouldn't, practically all of Britains colonies were returned to their people and i'm sure America would have aswell..
  • Options
    Maybe your right, but its not certain, we will never know what might have been.
  • Options
    Maybe your right, but its not certain, we will never know what might have been.

you got to be joking, if they found it hard keeping African countries what makes you think America would want to stay...
  • Options
    The World Wars of the 20th century were the main cause of the end of imperialism and therefore the British Empire, not necessarily the rebellions.
  • Options
    Imperialism never ended, friend, it only rebranded itself as corporate-serving "globalisation" and thus it has carried on, complete with use of military power to exert its will upon weaker nations when client governments no longer tow the line.
  • Options
    Very true.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    what makes you think America would want to stay...
    cos white americans are of european stock.
  • Options
    did i just read somewhere in this post that china has loads of resources?
    wrong.
    they have no timber or oil and less and less good arable land.
    south american forrests are being destroyed faster than ever just to grow soya bean to feed the new and rapidly growing cities in china.
    america have already started the resource wars for oli ...it will continue to do so, meaning it can break chinas growth quite rapidly.
    china is sucking in more and more resources from around the globe at an alarming rate.
    india won't have a chance ...to many problems arising with water shortages.
  • Options
    america have already started the resource wars for oli
    poor old oli doesnt he have it bad enuff already?
    South China Sea has oli and gas in it and the Japanese and Chinese have kicked off over it. Both sides claiming to have the rights to most of it and worried the oli and gas feilds which may stretch under ground into the others teritory could be mined illegaly.
    The row continues.
  • Options
    america have already started the resource wars for oli
    poor old oli doesnt he have it bad enuff already?
    South China Sea has oli and gas in it and the Japanese and Chinese have kicked off over it. Both sides claiming to have the rights to most of it and worried the oli and gas feilds which may stretch under ground into the others teritory could be mined illegaly.
    The row continues.
    :D
  • Options
    cos white americans are of european stock.

and my great great multiply great by 1000 grandmother was of African stock, and yours also...doesn't mean i don't have a sense of patriotism to the country i was brought up in...
  • Options
    Imperialism never ended, friend, it only rebranded itself as corporate-serving "globalisation" and thus it has carried on, complete with use of military power to exert its will upon weaker nations when client governments no longer tow the line.

And it wasn't even imperialism. it was something older, fouller still. Self interest from the blind maybe, or something more twisted.
    The World Wars of the 20th century were the main cause of the end of imperialism and therefore the British Empire, not necessarily the rebellions.

Attempts to keep the population on it's knees and nothing more or less than that. The people with money and the "monarchy" etc financed both sides. Scum.
    did i just read somewhere in this post that china has loads of resources?

They have the most precious resource to the financial mind, human beings. When the governments over here ran out of cash, they borrowed it based on the worth of the people within their jurisdiction, both at the time and in the future. This is what backs the value of the pound....the dollar.

Any look at this kind of thing has to start from the most fundamental point, that is that those "in power" don't give a shit where the boundaries lie, what agreements there are, because they know they aren't real and they aren't bound by them. It's a big fucking con they rig between themselves and never take part in ever.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Any look at this kind of thing has to start from the most fundamental point, that is that those "in power" don't give a shit where the boundaries lie, what agreements there are, because they know they aren't real and they aren't bound by them. It's a big fucking con they rig between themselves and never take part in ever.

take part in what?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    take part in what?

A good question.
  • Options
    Take part in "the great con of "boundaries" they rig for others (aka the masses). In other words, they establish what they call the "rule of law" to which all others than themselves are to be held to account.
  • Options
    Take part in "the great con of "boundaries" they rig for others (aka the masses). In other words, they establish what they call the "rule of law" to which all others than themselves are to be held to account.

a position, worringly, thats some people on this earth have...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    no we wouldn't, practically all of Britains colonies were returned to their people and i'm sure America would have aswell..

The USA basically told us to end colonial rule after WW2...the swift subsequent ceacesation of British rule didn't exactly help Africa though.

He is partly correct in a sense...although it was inevitable the US would become indepedent. Britain did, however, leave the American colonies by choice rather being kicked out...
  • Options
    Who Governs the IMF, WTO and the World Bank?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3773019.stm

ps, wasn't that when 'Bretton Woods was imposed?

http://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/article.shtml?cmd[126]=x-126-183338

We've (UK) have only just finished payments to our cousins across the pond for WW II, we still owe them for WWI.

Great cousins huh?