Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Dutch reject the EU Constitution.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to Exit polls anyway....

Things don't look too good for the constitution now.

Comments

• Options
    To be frank, I don't think it's a bad thing when thinking about it.
    There needs to be more communication and unity between the countries on a civil level, before we can go that one step forward.
  • Options
    Not a bad thing IMO. The Constitution looked dead and buried on Monday- not there is no doubt.

The bottom line is that it won't make any difference to present-day EU or to any of us if there is no Constitution.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The bottom line is that it won't make any difference to present-day EU or to any of us if there is no Constitution.

Hopefully it will.
    I hope to see improvement rather than the ruling hypocrisy and bureaucracy which taints the picture people have of the institution.
  • Options
    apparantly if 4/5 sign up itll go to counil of ministers or something

its not the end of the world, lets just see a simpler treaty that can be signed up to, if you didnt know it was orginallly a treaty then some guy decided to call it a constitution

it was crap anyway and europe wont fall apart itll hopefully mkae them think of how to make things more efficient democratic and simpler

i prefer a delegation system of power anyway
  • Options
    You have to remember, 38% of the population didn't vote.So the result is not as representative as people may think.

Also, how many of those who voted knew what they were voting on?In order to properly evaluate, you need to be well-versed in political, macroeconomic as well as microeconomic theory.And if you can't evaluate or you aren't particularly interested, maybe you shouldn't vote on the matter?(I know the French govt issued numerous booklets and relative reading material...but how many bothered to read?)If the government of a certain member-state has screwed up for internal unrelated(to european policy) reasons, the citizens should be able to discriminate and not dump everything on the EU.

That said, there are all sorts of issues that need to be addressed by the EU and the referenda results will contribute to that effect.