Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anti Depresants

Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
This has probably been done before, so please feel free to link me to appropriate threads.

I am considering asking my doctor for AD's as I am feeling extreamly down and have been doing so for quite a while.

What I was wondering was, the side effects to taking AD's and how I should go about asking my doctor for them.

Thanks in advance.

Dr Pirate.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been on anti depressants myself as have a few of my friends but side effects differ person to person.

I wouldn't ask your docs for ADs I'd tell him/her you feel and then see what they advise. Mine gave me a questionairre thing to see if I was depressed.

Phoenix
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Cheers, I shall ask my doc if I would be suitable for AD's if she asks me do to a questionaire then I shall do it, I wouldn't expect to just be given them no questions asked.
    Sometimes as well it can be a bit of a shock. Was always advised never to self diagnose but just tell the doc how I was feeling and let them diagnose.

Went to docs yesterday and described how I felt and he said it sounds like I might be getting depressed. Even though Ive had depression before I hadn't considered that as a possibilty but since my doc mentioned it it makes sense.

Maybe have a good think about the root cause of it and see if there are any changes you could make. For example in my case its mainly work thats making me low so I'm looking for a new job. Its not always that easy.

In my experience the main side effect of ADs was that they numbed me out emotionally which was good in that I didn't feel so low but then as I started getting better I couldn't feel the good stuff as much either. I think they're a double edged sword.

Phoenix
    What rainbow said basically.

I do think its important though to be wary that you arent just dissmissed. Make sure your doctor listens and gives you appropraite care. Being dissmissed as 'nothing', wont help you, but neither will be sent on your way with a prescription. Anti-depressants should help lift you while you sort out what was making you feel low, or help you though a difficult period.

Ive been lucky in that ive never experienced any side-effects, but again as rainbow said, they can tend to just numb you. I sometimes find numb and empty is worse that feeling bad.

Check the health forums, theres been quite a few posts in there.

And big respect to you for realising the problem and doing something about it sensibly.
    Ch-ch-check out health forum. And it is deffo a good idea to go see your doc and just explain how you're feeling and they'll go from there.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,285 Skive's The Limit
    AD's are given out far too easilly IMO.

That's not to say that some people don't need them, it's just that there are many other just as effective ways to combat feeling down that often arn't considered first - such as diet, excercise and sleep patterns.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've tried changing my diet, to no avail, also exercise is out of the question due to joint problems.

I've never had a regular sleep patern and it hasn't affected me thus far.
    Skive wrote:

That's not to say that some people don't need them, it's just that there are many other just as effective ways to combat feeling down that often arn't considered first - such as diet, excercise and sleep patterns.
    Couldnt agree more.
    Skive wrote:

yup, thirded.

it doesn't even have to be vigorous exercise. if you have joint troubles, try going for a gentle walk, or a swim.

ADs are useful for some people, but they're not without their side effects (some of which can be serious and long-lasting), and it really should be for a doctor to decide whether you need them rather than you deciding you might like to try them.
    obviously I wouldnt go in there demanding AD's but I would like to put the posibility forward to my doctor
    i'm not trying to trivialise your problems, or say that you don't need ADs and shouldn't take them, please don't think that. what i'm trying to get across is that instead of going to see your doc and asking about a treatment, you should go to the doc and discuss your symptoms.
    kaffrin wrote:
    i'm not trying to trivialise your problems, or say that you don't need ADs and shouldn't take them, please don't think that. what i'm trying to get across is that instead of going to see your doc and asking about a treatment, you should go to the doc and discuss your symptoms.
    I'll be doing that, but I really feel I need something to sort it =\
    hmmmm.

I went to my doctor, blimey must be about 2 years ago now saying i was feeling down etc etc. i ended up seeing a shrink for just over a year and it helped loads. That may be an alternative.
    Im already seeing a 'shrink' for other reasons, dunno if they will make me see another 1
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    Im already seeing a 'shrink' for other reasons, dunno if they will make me see another 1

I cant remember how to spell phsycologist. Is that it?

Pirates inc tbh m8
    Dr Pirate wrote:

In terms of the effectiveness of the AD's if you do use them, they are much more effective if coupled with therapy, make sure you continue with this if it is helping. You could of course discuss the option of AD's with your shrink too, see what they say.
  • mobleymobley Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
    Have a look at our stuff on ADs on TheSite. They are really helpful.

http://www.thesite.org/community/reallife/truestories/antidepressants