Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Medication at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just got thinking...
The injections I take for my Diabetes need to be placed in a refrigirator. Where could I place them? I mean, would it be safe just to let them lie in a common refrigirator? I doubt I'll have a mini-fridge in my room, though it could be luxury.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it might be possible to get a grant for a mini fridge for your room, as it's a health based reason. the disabilities people can usually help with these sorts of things.

    personally i wouldn't like to trust students with stabby things in a shared fridge :nervous:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so long as the needles themselves dont have to be kept in a fridge, (I'm assuming it's the contents of the syringe that needs refridgerating) it'll probably be ok to keep in a shared fridge.

    I would recomend you keep some somewhere else safe too, like in a nurses office, just in case!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    it might be possible to get a grant for a mini fridge for your room, as it's a health based reason. the disabilities people can usually help with these sorts of things.

    personally i wouldn't like to trust students with stabby things in a shared fridge :nervous:

    See, I got these brochures for disabled people and the likes as I mentioned it in my UCAs application. Frankly, I got pretty offended. But does it state stuff like that. Cause then I should maybe read it before I apply for accomodation (urgh, I feel really bad. Just read that they want you to apply for accomodation as soon as you accept their offer - I am almost two months too late).

    And yes, good point replicant. Then my nurse will also be happy that I am forced to replace the needle daily.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think at my uni they make exeptions and let people have a mini-fridge in their rooms for things like that, but you would have to take your own. I guess it depends on the individual unis-maybe ring and check?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have a mini fridge in my room -although not supposed to! most unis won't mind and you can get mini fridges here that are mini enough to take just 6cans of coke so wont take up loads of room space.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A normal fridge is fine as long as no-one interferes with them..

    You could get a wee lockable box to put your extra stocks in..
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What uni have you decided on? Cos at Sheffield, the disability people have been fantastic, and if I've needed help with something that's a bit out of the norm they've still been fine with sorting it out, they seem pretty flexible. I think generally, even if places don't specifically say they can deal with certain problems, they'll do their best to help, and it's always better to ask, the worst they can do is say no :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tates wrote:
    What uni have you decided on? Cos at Sheffield, the disability people have been fantastic, and if I've needed help with something that's a bit out of the norm they've still been fine with sorting it out, they seem pretty flexible. I think generally, even if places don't specifically say they can deal with certain problems, they'll do their best to help, and it's always better to ask, the worst they can do is say no :)
    Yeah, Sheffield :)

    Should I contact them before I apply for accomodation? Or can I fill out those papers afterwards (I imagine you have gone through the process)?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why can't you put it in the communal fridge? People won't mess around with your insulin, surely.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Why can't you put it in the communal fridge? People won't mess around with your insulin, surely.

    Not intentionally, no, but alcohol is a wonderful thing for wiping out people's common sense ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Yeah, Sheffield :)

    Should I contact them before I apply for accomodation? Or can I fill out those papers afterwards (I imagine you have gone through the process)?

    Well, I was stupid and decided I didn't need to ask for help before I got there, and ended up getting myself into a right mess because of not getting the help sorted in advance, so unfortunately can't really help you with what to do in advance. But I do know that my support person meets people on open days and stuff, and helps them work through whatever problems they'll have before they apply, so I guess if you contact them before applying for accomodation that might be the best plan? But if you can't get hold of them quickly and want to apply for accomodation now, then I'm sure they'll still be able to help you, just get in touch as soon as possible.

    And hope you enjoy Sheffield :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tates wrote:
    Not intentionally, no, but alcohol is a wonderful thing for wiping out people's common sense ;)
    I honestly think that people know where to draw the line, even when monstrously drunk.

    And you can pick up a mini fridge for less than 50 quid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    I honestly think that people know where to draw the line, even when monstrously drunk.

    With most people I'd agree with that, but I had some absolute fools on my corridor at uni, they really had no common sense, and no idea where to draw the line. Yep, it might be fine, but if it was me I wouldn't want to risk it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well here (in Sheffield Uni) we have communal fridges in catered halls and In the uncatered flats too, I have a little fridge in my room for beer purposes so that'd work, otherwise in the communal fridge but I guess there are always going to be no-brainers who think it'd be funny to mess with your stuff so it is a tough one
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tates wrote:
    With most people I'd agree with that, but I had some absolute fools on my corridor at uni, they really had no common sense, and no idea where to draw the line. Yep, it might be fine, but if it was me I wouldn't want to risk it.

    we had the same.

    99% of people do know where to draw the line, but when it's potentially life-or-death type stuff, i personally wouldn't want to take a chance on the 1%. i know people who had their medication stolen. luckily they weren't essential meds, but you wouldn't have known from the packaging, and i was quite shocked by that.

    the locked box in a shared fridge could work though...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have applied. And written in my application that I'd like a room big enough to store a mini fridge. I think that even if the Disability people don't have spares (I am sure I am not the first student with Diabetes) then my parents will most likely fork out the £50 or whatever. I just need it to be more or less ready there for my arrival.

    Thanks for the help everyone. Will contact the Disability people tomorrow :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I heard it is bad to sleep in the same room as a fridge. I'm not sure if it's true, but I think it gives off some sort of gases or chemicals? I know that doesn't help you but just wanted to point that out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My housemate is an insulin-dependent diabetic and has always kept hers in the communal fridge.
Sign In or Register to comment.