Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Memory Foam Matresses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got one?

I'm thinking of buying one cos my current mattress is too hard and I sleep on my side rather then back
15.jpg

Comments

• Options
    no, but i spend most days writing about them. can tell you all the blurb.

they're the in thing in the bed world atm. supposed to be worth the money, but if it's just that yours is too hard, you could just get a softer one.
  • Options
    why do you write about them?

I don't like springs, I have a foam matress ATM - had it for maybe 5 years now but it's a different type of foam and very firm, good if you sleep on your back but not so good if you sleep on your side, I can actually get just a 2 inch topper matress for my single bed at around £40 - the company that first marketed them puts on big TV ads and sell the full matress for about £1,000 for a double but you can actually buy the foam itself from a lot of different places
  • Options
    why do you write about them?

cause it's my job. i write blurb for a furniture company.

plain foam mattresses are usually made of high-density foam, which, yeah, is a bit tough. a mattress topper will go some way to make it more comfortable, but it will still be pretty firm. most memory foam mattresses are.

pretty much all bed companies sell memory foam mattresses these days. tempur would have you believe it's only them, but you can pick up a part sprung, part memory foam mattress from a cheaper company like silentnight for a decent price.
  • Options
    my matress is fucked up...i keep waking up with these big lines on my back, like whip lash or something... :confused:
  • Options
    My matress is ABSOLUTELY fucked, i've needed one for about a month now
  • Options
    I just got back from town and visited a bed shop, they had the memory foam one that costs like £2,000

was a bit hard then I expected but think it takes time to soften under your body heat.
  • Options
    Wow that matress looks pretty damn cool.

I want one :D
  • Options
    Wow that matress looks pretty damn cool.

I want one :D

it's supposed to make you feel weightless
  • Options
    was a bit hard then I expected but think it takes time to soften under your body heat.

they are all pretty firm, cause they're designed as orthopaedic mattresses, and by their nature they are firmer than average.

you should really buy a mattress that's suited to your size and needs, rather than the latest gimmick to hit the bed world. memory foam mattresses are great if you're on the heavy side, or have back problems or need good, solid support, but if you're small and light, it'd probably be way too firm, and a bit uncomfy. if you're desperate for memory foam but want a softer bed, you'd be better off either getting a topper for a soft sprung mattress, or buying a part sprung, part foam bed with less tension in the springs.

but then i'm told a massive proportion of people choose the wrong bed whatever you tell them.
  • Options
    I just get cheap matresses because they're all pretty good. A good one was though when I went to an army camp for a week they had these 2 inch thick cheap ones :p but they're so versatile! We made a fort out of them, we did.
  • Options
    i have a specially made mattress its amazing :heart:
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    My mum bought a 450 quid matress because she gets back pain whilst sleeping... No differance from her 150 quid one.

total rip off tbh.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    My mum bought a 450 quid matress because she gets back pain whilst sleeping... No differance from her 150 quid one.

total rip off tbh.

£450 is fairly middle of the range, tbh. the really impressive ones start at about £800 for a double.

but the price isn't important. what's important is that it's the right mattress for your body type and support needs. the back pain thing is a classic. a lot of people think that because they have back pain, they automatically need an extra firm mattress, but the pain could be caused by sleeping on a mattress that is too firm. especially if they are quite small and light. your spine should be straight and level (taking into account the natural curve) when sleeping. as long as it is, then you are adequately supported, and it doesn't matter if the mattress cost £100 or £1000.