Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ebay: Is someone trying to scam me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here's the PM they sent me on eBay.
Q: Dear Seller, I am very impressed with the advert of the X-Box you placed on eBay, I am ready to buy it from you. I'm willing to make you an offer £ 200.00 for Item number: <insert number here> My sons birthday is coming up soon and I promissed to get heim something nice. I want you to quote the cost of the shipment through UPS/DHL Global Express mail service 3-5days , Because i only prefered these shipping company to be delivered to me in South Africa. I have make a provision for your payment through Western Union Bidpay Money Order since Paypal doesn't offer internationall payment. Because this is a matter of urgency for his birthday. I hope to hear back from you today and with a long lasting business relationship with you.

Comments

• Options
    Looks like it.
  • Options
    id report it to ebay see what they think
  • Options
    Get him to send you the money first, once it's your account, then you can send the xbox - don't see how you can be conned there. Unless he's money laundering :p hehe. If you're not sure though you don't have to go ahead, or you could always put the xbox up buy it now for £200 and just get him to buy it through ebay so they have a record. The issue is in a lot of countries (s.e asia I'm thinking of) ebay doesn't have the authority needed to get money back etc. and I know a lot of people buy things only to never see them arrive and eBay can't do anything about it.

But like I said, if you do go ahead try and keep it on record by going through eBay, if you get conned and you've just done a private deal you don't really have any reocourse I'm afraid.
  • Options
    yes definatly, never use Western Union, its so dodgy, i used to use it all the time back in the day.

unfortunatly you cant trust anyone from africa these days with stuff like this
  • Options
    I think it specifically says on eby to not trust people who want to pay through western union.
    I personally would think it sounds like too much hassle anyway. Just tell him you only accept paypal.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    unfortunatly you cant trust anyone from africa these days with stuff like this
    bit of a dodgy thing to say. Im sure the fact someone is from africa has no bearing on the trustworthiness.
    You get scammers everywhere.
  • Options
    bit of a dodgy thing to say. Im sure the fact someone is from africa has no bearing on the trustworthiness.
    You get scammers everywhere.

I hate to say but a lot of internet fraud does come from African countries and S.E Asian countries. I'm not saying they're less trustworthy at all, but it seems they scam you more probably because they can get away with it. Another example is where you go on holiday - it says be wary of going to places like Pakistan because you might get killed or kidnapped. Not saying Pakistani people are more likely to be killers or kidnappers... but there you go.
  • Options
    oh yeah! im not saying all africans are un-trustworthy, not at all. should have been more clearer. i mean in situations like this with ebay, 419s etc.. more than likely from african countries, nigeria etc..
  • Options
    oh I know what you meant, I just meant you should probably re-phrase it, because otherwise it sounds racist and Im sure you didnt mean that.
  • Options
    I thought that it might be a bit dodgy as well, that's why I posted. The Wester Union Bank are dodgy as well from what I've read up on. As for him saying PayPal doesn't accept international fund transfers, that's a load of bull.

How do I send that message to eBay?
  • Options
    indeed! I've bought items from America and sold items to people in Sweden, funds being transferred with paypal.
  • Options
    Felix:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

1. Report problems with other eBay members
    2. Spam, fake e-mails, and other e-mail related problems
    3. Buyer offered to purchase item outside of eBay

And click continue. Read through the article then click report it etc. etc.
  • Options
    Could have sworn bidpay were no longer operating under that name anyway, haven't for a while i don't think. Pretty sure an American customer told me it was a different name nowadays.

And yeah looks like rubbish but send it to spoof@ebay.co.uk if you're worried and they'll let you know.
  • Options
    Do not give your bank account details to this person

This is almost undoubtably a scam.
  • Options
    It's a 419 scam. They transfer the funds to your account, you think it's cleared ok. The money "bounces" and you end up minus goods and money. I had a load of these when I sold my car on ebay, but luckily I had seen them on Watchdog the week before.

Check this link for more info 419 scams