Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Birmingham NEC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's an exihibition on in the NEC very soon on a friday and saturday - I'm seriously considering driving up on friday morning and staying in a B&B or something to go on both days cos there's stuff on both days I want to see

1. Anyone know any good but cheap places to stay (if so PM me)

2. What interesting sites or shopping can I do there during the afternoon? I seem to remember going to a bull ring place like 10 years ago?

3. Where's the best clubbing spot to go to on the friday night?

4. Where's the best place to go to eat?

Comments

• Options
    The bull ring is a fantastic place for shopping. And it's very easy to get to from the NEC :yes: I'd very much recommend that for a spare afternoon. And it depends what you like eating. Broad street (also a good street for clubbing, I'm told) has got loads of restaurants, and also Brindley place, off Broad street, has quite a few places to eat too.
    Not sure about the places to stay. Obviously you'd be better off getting away from the NEC as the prices are high due to convenience for the shows and also for the airport. Try looking at chain hotels in the city centre, they might do some good deals at weekends.
  • Options
    Course, you could always find a place to stay in Coventry, it's actually closer to the NEC than Birmingham. Anyway, what do you class as cheap for a place to stay?
  • Options
    Hmmm well for nightlife depends what music your into, I like the Arcadian, its decent there.

The Bullring for shoppin definately, infact Im headin there saturday when I get paid! :D If the last time u went was 10 years ago then you'll be pleasently surprised.

As for hotels close to the NEC you are gonna pay a bit more for, its places like the Hilton round there...anyway let me know what kinda price your willin to pay...
  • Options
    I'd actually prefer a place to stay close to town where the bars / clubs are!!

so which is the best town inthat area for a night out?

My friend wants to come with me and go playing a round of golf but I doubt there would be time.

But there seems to be so many golf courses around that area.

Any idea how much golf costs to play? I've never been. Do they have clubs for hire?
  • Options
    so which is the best town inthat area for a night out?

Birmingham.
  • Options
    ah miffy hows the babby???!
  • Options
    badabing wrote:
    ah miffy hows the babby???!

He's 18 months old, looks like a little cherub (I mean really, blond curls and blue eyes) but he's a little terror!

But he's all well and good ta!
  • Options
    ah its crazy everyones growing up! anyways i is off, send all my luvvy duvvies to everyone sil voo play :D
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Birmingham.

so which club is good to go to?
  • Options
    Broad street is the reputed 'clubbing street'. Has many different types of pubs, clubs and restaurants for every taste.
  • Options
    so which club is good to go to?

what type of music u into?

Dance, RnB, Indie...?

Birmingham caters for most tastes to be fair.
  • Options
    what type of music u into?

Dance, RnB, Indie...?

Birmingham caters for most tastes to be fair.

Little bit of everything

just booked my hotel it's near a station called Bordesley and about 3 miles from town?
  • Options
    Little bit of everything

just booked my hotel it's near a station called Bordesley and about 3 miles from town?

Is it the F1 hotel?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Is it the F1 hotel?

Yeah it was, .. my first time in an F1 hotel - I quite liked it!!

No keys to collect or give back just a PIN code to remember

was only £20.95 per night and there was two beds, not bad if you got a friend to share the cost with.

Was very impressed with Birmingham, I'd never really been into the town only the NEC a few times for the motorshow in the past.

The range of places to go our on broadstreet was excellent and the works nightclub was pretty impressive, shame there wasn't that many people there onthe friday night though, but the actual club is very impressive.
  • Options
    Yeah it was, .. my first time in an F1 hotel - I quite liked it!!

No keys to collect or give back just a PIN code to remember

was only £20.95 per night and there was two beds, not bad if you got a friend to share the cost with.

Was very impressed with Birmingham, I'd never really been into the town only the NEC a few times for the motorshow in the past.

The range of places to go our on broadstreet was excellent and the works nightclub was pretty impressive, shame there wasn't that many people there onthe friday night though, but the actual club is very impressive.

What are the rooms like in there? I've been past so many times and wondered.

Where else did you go on broad street? I'm not a fan of the works personally, haven't been there for a few years though..find it a meat market!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    What are the rooms like in there? I've been past so many times and wondered.

Where else did you go on broad street? I'm not a fan of the works personally, haven't been there for a few years though..find it a meat market!

Funy you say meat Market cos I thought it was the exact opposite .. everyone there seemed so shy espacially in the top room where the dance floor is a circle shape, for hours no one would go up and dance!!!

The rooms in the F1 are basic, there is a sink and mirror, and TV and a double bed and then a single bunk bed across the top.

Toilets and showers are down the hall, although mine was like 5 feet away from my front door.

There was no door key only a 6 digit PIN number to get back in your room and through the front door.

Was by far the cheapest place I found to stay, but was pretty nice, and the McDonalds next door came in handy cos I was starving when I got there!!!

I just took a walk up and down broadstreet but ended up see a free jazz thing in the thing next to that big wheel thing that looks like the London eye (just smaller)

and the guy looking after the place showed me around the sympany halls - was amazing to see it - I can't believe you could have so many nice places to go out all in one street - wish there was something like that where I live.

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_world/concert_hall_acoustics/birmingham.jpg
  • Options
    Funy you say meat Market cos I thought it was the exact opposite .. everyone there seemed so shy espacially in the top room where the dance floor is a circle shape, for hours no one would go up and dance!!!

The rooms in the F1 are basic, there is a sink and mirror, and TV and a double bed and then a single bunk bed across the top.

Toilets and showers are down the hall, although mine was like 5 feet away from my front door.

There was no door key only a 6 digit PIN number to get back in your room and through the front door.

Was by far the cheapest place I found to stay, but was pretty nice, and the McDonalds next door came in handy cos I was starving when I got there!!!

I just took a walk up and down broadstreet but ended up see a free jazz thing in the thing next to that big wheel thing that looks like the London eye (just smaller)

and the guy looking after the place showed me around the sympany halls - was amazing to see it - I can't believe you could have so many nice places to go out all in one street - wish there was something like that where I live.

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_world/concert_hall_acoustics/birmingham.jpg

It must have changed since I last went then: the top RnB room used to be horrible. I would dance in there with my boyfriend and still get groped by random blokes. :no: :yuck:

You should have met up with me, I was in that area on Friday night for work. Yeah Broad Street is ok, I'm a bit fed up of it though!
  • Options
    the nec is practically on my doorstep o_O

just thought i'd point that out.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    You should have met up with me, I was in that area on Friday night for work. Yeah Broad Street is ok, I'm a bit fed up of it though!

You weren't the girl from Spearmint Rhino .. were you .. ?? :razz:

I think I'll have to go back there with a group of friends and take over the F1 Hotel, but then again there are a lot of hotels right on broad street which would be very convient for a night out.
  • Options
    I can't believe you could have so many nice places to go out all in one street - wish there was something like that where I live.

Oh, you're making me feel guilty for not going there much now!

there are a lot of hotels right on broad street which would be very convient for a night out.

Ooo, the City Inn is nice :yes: