Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Minority Communities.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My house is located near a park. On the other side of the park is a community center for Seaks (I apologize if I spelled that wrong). Located around the community center are homes, nearly all of which are owned by Seak families. Growing up it's been nice to have the multicultural influence, and I attended school with many of the kids from the Seak neighborhood.

The topic for the debate is this. Is it a good thing that some minority groups (like the Seaks in my area, but we'll extend it to minority groups in general) voluntarily form small centralized communities? Or would it be better if the community were more spread out?

Comments

• Options
    interesting... I think for them it's a good thing, as it makes coping with living in a non-sikh environment easier.

on the downside, it reduces integration with the rest of the community, and worse still. uneducated, xenophobic types find it very easy to target such areas of minority communities.
  • Options
    its sikhs 1st of all

its a natural thing for peoepl to group together, nothing wrong with other sikhs wanting to join for ecample, its when they purposely exclude other groups when it becomes wrong

ie english people in spain group together moreso and same with other groups in other countires
  • Options
    Perhaps it could be argued that where you live, on your side of the park, there is a ghetto of 'white people'?

It's normal.
  • Options
    I think a few families is ok but when it's whole communities it starts to breed negative effects, for example poverty traps in the centre of leicester which is very highly hindu indian - you get the kids there who have to go to overcrowded city schools and then they get stuck in their community. Another problem is xenophobia and racism - it's a natural fact that if you don't integrate you make yourself stand out and it will breed two different communities, a Sikh community and a non-Sikh community.
  • Options
    Anyone know Southall, West London?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Anyone know Southall, West London?

Yes, whats your point?
  • Options
    Just asking, is that against the rules bonga?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Just asking, is that against the rules bonga?

No, I was just wondering why you were asking.
  • Options
    I'm an inquisitive guy.
  • Options
    i think segregated communities are the worst thing ever! they just cause more problems than solve. it happens in my town a lot, there are certain areas for certain races, it doesnt help the mixing of communities at all, in fact it really adds to the tension between groups.

never seen it so blatent anywhere else ive lived.
  • Options
    There are four kinds of minorities who all have different problems maintaning their own culture (which I think is important), and getting along with the majority community which I think is even more important.

First you've got poor bastards like the Palestinians who become a minority because of displacement. In their case I think it's vital to maintain their ethnic and cultural identity and their attempts to regain territory, even violent means are justified in my opinion. Some nations in Europe may be in a similar position in a few generations.

Second you've got those who found themselves minorities when new states were drawn up. If these communities want to seccede from the state so as to better preserve their cultural, racial or any other integrity, that's worth supporting too if the alternative is conflict.

Third you've got immigrant groups. If they wish to preserve racial, ethnic or religious integrity they would be better advised to stay at home. If they wish to become Americans (without a hyphen) and Americans invite them in, they should be made welcome.

Fourth you've got long term minorities such as Europe's Jews, Native :rolleyes: Americans and African Americans. If any of these communities are unhappy (or make the majority community unhappy), either party should be supported if they want to divide the territory and go their separate ways - better that they could get along but if the alternative is conflict... :wave:
  • Options
    Great post MM. :no:

I would only disagree that there are "jews", "indians", "americans", "states", "minorities", "Paletinians", "culture", "immigrants", "races", "Ethnic", "communities", "majority", hell let's just say apart from all the nominalisation and fiction your post has some great verbs and conjunctions.
  • Options
    It happens all over. I know the british working in saudi arabia dont integrate at all, they completely separate themselves off in compounds.
    People dont always want to integrate. I think integration should be encouraged, but you cant force it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Great post MM. :no:

I would only disagree that there are "jews", "indians", "americans", "states", "minorities", "Paletinians", "culture", "immigrants", "races", "Ethnic", "communities", "majority", hell let's just say apart from all the nominalisation and fiction your post has some great verbs and conjunctions.

I wish everyone thought like you, really, but until they do I'm gonna stick with the Ginger Libertarian Fishermen.
  • Options
    It happens all over. I know the british working in saudi arabia dont integrate at all, they completely separate themselves off in compounds.
    I think you'll find there are good reasons for this, and its not down to "not wanting to integrate".
  • Options
    And there are what Rich Kid, can you please elaborate for us.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I think you'll find there are good reasons for this, and its not down to "not wanting to integrate".

What are they then?

You'd be the first to complain about Saudi's not intergrating in britain you filthy hypocrite.
  • Options
    Arn't foreigners encouraged not to integrate in Saudi Arabia? I understood they are there purely for economic reasons and are treated as such, legally and socially, e.g. they recently are letting them carry guns for thier own protection.
  • Options
    The Brits in Saudi aren't a national minority, they are guest workers. The Saudis wisely decided not to extend to their guest workers the right of citizenship. When the oil dries up the foreigners will depart and Saudi will still be Arab.
  • Options
    The Brits in Saudi aren't a national minority, they are guest workers. The Saudis wisely decided not to extend to their guest workers the right of citizenship. When the oil dries up the foreigners will depart and Saudi will still be Arab.

Again, those things don't exist. Why waste energy solving or thinking about these problems by pandering to sloppy thinking when waking people up to these lies is the best way forward?
    I wish everyone thought like you, really, but until they do I'm gonna stick with the Ginger Libertarian Fishermen.

Pretty difficult given that's also a (comic) lie. You are an individual and believing otherwise won't make it so.
  • Options
    I really do wish everyone thought like you and I salute your indefatigibility, but I won't respond again to your pipe dream. :thumb:
  • Options
    I really do wish everyone thought like you and I salute your indefatigibility, but I won't respond again to your pipe dream.

As I am factually correct it's a matter of when, not if. :thumb:

Or does the Sun orbit the Earth and the Earth become the centre of the universe?

Progress demands the realisation.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Or does the Sun orbit the Earth and the Earth become the centre of the universe?
    Does Kellogs sell more packets of Rice Krispies in months with an "e" in? :)
    Progress demands the realisation.
    .... that Capitalism is the vehicle to take us forward. :)
  • Options
    Does Kellogs sell more packets of Rice Krispies in months with an "e" in?

Reading comprehension - Nil points.
    .... that Capitalism is the vehicle to take us forward.

No argument here, RK. Hell, even Marx said that mate.
  • Options
    A few of my friends and family live in Saudi Arabia and I have visited the country a number of times. Believe me when I say the Saudis are indescribably racist, if you say anything about religion what so ever they will crucify you (literally). Most people live on compounds surrounded by wire, fences and armed security. Lovely place.
  • Options
    Born Slippy, perhaps you'd confirm:

can women drive cars in Saudi?
    can people wear the crucifix in public?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    can women drive cars in Saudi?
    can people wear the crucifix in public?

No, and I assume, no.

Whats your point? Earlier today you were saying they had lessons we could learn.
  • Options
    I live in a very white working class area which has, over recent years had a small influx of ethnic minority people. Anyway, I like the idea of integration... When I was in school my best friend was Chinese (there were 2 Chinese people in my school, around 3 from Pakistan and 2 black... In a school of around 1300 that I recall) and it was interesting learning about her culture. I remember going back to her house and seeing the pretty decorations... Chinese caligraphy is beautiful too.

I think the reason why people target each other for issues such as skin colour and religion is because of fear, or maybe they're simply unhappy. It's something that's been going on for years and sadly something we need to fix if we want our kids growing up in a safe and happy world.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Again, those things don't exist. Why waste energy solving or thinking about these problems by pandering to sloppy thinking when waking people up to these lies is the best way forward?

You are a lie that doesn't exist, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    :lol: