Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Telling someone you fancy them...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was having a discussion at work today with 'the girls' and we got to talking about telling someone you fancy them.

Have you ever done it and been rejected? If so, did you feel glad you'd done it or wish you hadn't bothered?

Has anyone ever told you they fancied you and you've had to either turn them down gently or laughed in their face? What was the friendship/relationship afterwards?

Comments

• Options
    i fancied a guy but i didnt admit it till we were practically going out
    my friend let slip that i'd fancied him just after we'd got together though :blush:
    but i wasnt too bothered
  • Options
    Ive always kept my feelings quite close to my chest so ive never been rejected.
    But i once mocked a guy who admitted he had a crush on me all the way thru secondary school because i didnt feel the same and was quite immature...strange then that we are now a couple...
    Funny how things change!
  • Options
    I think it's better to just admit it in most situations. I've done it before and I've been rejected every time, but I'm not just going to lie back and deny how I feel and be embarassed and self concious around the person.
  • Options
    i normally always keep my feelings to myself, but drunkenly let it slip to a mate who turns out to have a big mouth. which actually might not be a bad thing :)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Have you ever done it and been rejected? If so, did you feel glad you'd done it or wish you hadn't bothered?
    better to risk telling someone, than say nothing - and nothing will happen.
  • Options
    Since I have gone to uni I have had things for three girls. Every time I told them, I was rejected in various degrees from quite nicely to feeling totally betrayed, led on and used. In all three, it pretty much killed off any friendship I had with them. But I still say "je ne regrette rien" as, when I fall for someone, (I assume it's the same for everyone!) it builds and builds until you're just constantly thinking about them so I'm glad I did it as you get free of all that and can move on with your life.
  • Options
    I have two stories to share, one with me telling someone I fancy them and the other being someone telling me that they fancy me.

The first is me telling them:

About three months ago, I got asked if I fancied someone - at this time I didn't know him at all and his name didn't mean anything to me. I asked who this person was and when told, I said no. A month or so later, another friend of mine asked me the same question, I denied it yet again, but it was true. So anyway, the debate of fancying people came up about a month ago and I got asked who I fancy. I didn't tell my firned, I asked her to guess and she was wrong. I told her who it was and she was like 'well, everyone seems to fancy him. Don't tell him; he has a girlfriend.' For some reason, I ignored her advice and told him, but didn't stick around for his answer. I didn't seem him for a few days and when I finally saw him, he was very quiet around me and whenever I asked him if we could talk, he was always like 'Not now, Sofie; I'm busy.' Just before he found out, I mentioned this to a friend of mine, who decided to tease me about this. The person I fancy, I told him and he was like 'Just ignore him and forget it.' For some reason, I didn't seem to like the way he was towards me about this, but knew he was right. Someone asked me if I fancied him, which I denied. (I have a problem with people knowing stuff like this)
    Last week, we were talking and this girl who saw us talking thought I wa flirting with him, because I looked at him as I spoke to him and looked at him as he spoke to me. The same girl is well aware that I fancy him today she was like 'do you fancy him?' I said that he was alright, then she said 'are you going to the prom? He's going to be there.' I told her no, because it was too late for me to go, I have no money for the next few months and it's probably not a good idea because I haven't been too well over the last few weeks. I also got asked the same questions by someone else and I said exactly the same thing.

My other story:
    It all started around November last year, a friend of mine asked me out and I told him no, because of personal problems - a friend of his found out about this and seems to think that I won't go out with him because of the way he is and spread this rumour around. No matter how much I denied it, no-one apart from 2-3 people who believe me. I told him that I actually did fancy hi and would go out with him if he meant it. He told me no, because neither of us know who the serious one here is. For some reason, this rumour keep starting up again and someone told me that if I won't tell him the reason why I won't go out with his friend, he'll ask him hiself and I told him not, because I don't want anyone to know what's wrong. For some reason, some people are really convinced that we go out together. He recently asked me to have sex with him, and I told him no for several reasons.
  • Options
    I told two girls i fancied them in the past and got rejected both times. Now my fear of rejection is only stronger :nervous:
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    I told two girls i fancied them in the past and got rejected both times. Now my fear of rejection is only stronger :nervous:

But telling the first one didn't put you off enough to not tell the second one... which is quite good.

How were you rejected? Was it nicely?
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    yeah! but you've got to admit you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
    at the end of the day, they could have said yes. if you don't ask, you don't know. asking is worth it imo. :yes:
  • Options
    The first time it wasn't a very nice experience at all.

And the second time it was done nicely, but it took me about a year to gather the courage, which is a bad thing. We were friends during that time, and it was very awkward for me. But it seems that she rejected me in the nicest way possible, really. She was very honest about her feelings, and it sounds weird, but she didn't hurt me at all. The first one hurt like hell, though...
  • Options
    I did this only a few days ago. I was talking about a work colleague. I said "she's absolutely gorgeous, I quite fancy her to be honest". What I didn't realise was the work colleague in question was listening to all this and when I turned round and saw her, she'd turned all red! :o Poor girl! Anyway, we had a quick chat about it later. She was flattered by the attention, it's given our friendship a huge boost! :D

At college, one person said she fancied me. My reaction was the same as my colleague!
  • Options
    Hi there Danny! Nice seeing you again! :D
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    Hi there Danny! Nice seeing you again! :D
    :eek2: I've always been here, just that work is taking up a lot of my time and energy at the moment. Oh yes, for the record, I don't fancy you, Nebojsa!
  • Options
    i was always getting rejected in high school. i just look at it as " oh well" and it helps me get over it(and the crush) and move on. no point spending your life wondering.
  • Options
    I know that you've been around all the time, but I have taken some time away. And for the record, I won't try any moves on you, I'm straight, but thank you anyway :)
  • Options
    i think, as you get a bit older, people learn to spare each other's feelings a bit. if they laugh in your face, they're obviously a bit of a twat, and you wouldn't have wanted them anyway.

i'm still mates with a guy who told me he liked me, but i was taken and happy. we have a laugh about it sometimes - he'll ask me if i'm sure i don't want to leave mr. kaff for him, and i'll tell him yes, i'm quite sure. hasn't affected the friendship at all. these things happen.
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    I know that you've been around all the time, but I have taken some time away. And for the record, I won't try any moves on you, I'm straight, but thank you anyway :)
    I didn't think you were going to!
  • Options
    It is funny, but I'm best friends with the first girl that rejected me in a very harsh way... and I really mean it, she's my best girl friend.
  • Options
    SG: It's nice to see that you haven't lost your sarcasm a bit :)
  • Options
    nmrmak wrote:
    It is funny, but I'm best friends with the first girl that rejected me in a very harsh way... and I really mean it, she's my best girl friend.
    I envy you! I wish I could have kept that sort of friendship with the girl who rejected me. I still remember it now - when she said she didn't feel the same way, I cried my eyes out, her saying "I'm so sorry Danny" over and over, and that wasn't soothing at all. The first time I ever had my heart broken. :crying:
    nmrmak wrote:
    SG: It's nice to see that you haven't lost your sarcasm a bit :)
    I've always been a reverential, charming and witty character. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I've always been a reverential, charming and witty character. :rolleyes:
    Of course you have! :D
  • Options
    I've never directly told anyone that I fancy them. I tried to once to once of my best friends but i couldnt say anything and just ended up mumbling and squeaking. She told me a couple of days later she knew what i was trying to say and nothing like that could happen between us blah blah blah....stayed friends though.

The second time I got drunk and sent a text message, that she didnt get til the morning. :o Suprisingly everything was ok, she was just a bit shocked. Again we remained good mates. And when i met up with her in the Uni Easter holidays (the first time we'd seen eachother in person since) things were normal. I even got a kiss on the lips, which I'd never got from he before. :blush:

I've never succesfully told someone I fancy them.

Though a girl i think im starting to like now, if i indeed like them I will try in person.
  • Options
    I've never laughed in someone's face before but I've had it done to me before and it wasn't nice at the time.

It was some lad that I used to fancy who worked in Safeway. He used to go to our school Bumble, he was called Ian Willis.

Anyway, I asked him out and he said how old are you and I said 17 (22 now) and he said yeah sure you are, cos I look young, he snorted then told me to fuck off. :lol:

Looking at it now though it's kinda funny and I don't even know why I liked him. Ho hum.
  • Options
    I've never laughed in someone's face before but I've had it done to me before and it wasn't nice at the time. It was some lad that I used to fancy who worked in Safeway. He used to go to our school Bumble, he was called Ian Willis....
    I wonder if Mr Willis is reading this now! :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wonder if Mr Willis is reading this now! :p

Well if he is, he can bugger off, in the nicest possible way of course. :flirt:
  • Options
    I have said no to people in the past, but as for me no I have never been rejected. In fact for my first time to show my gf I fancied her I gave her a kiss on New Years among other things and it got the roller coaster going.
  • Options
    Anyone else find that after you've told someone you fancy them, they go all weird and quiet?
  • Options
    Anyone else find that after you've told someone you fancy them, they go all weird and quiet?

Yeah, as in every single one of them.
  • Options
    I've never laughed in someone's face before but I've had it done to me before and it wasn't nice at the time.

It was some lad that I used to fancy who worked in Safeway. He used to go to our school Bumble, he was called Ian Willis.

Anyway, I asked him out and he said how old are you and I said 17 (22 now) and he said yeah sure you are, cos I look young, he snorted then told me to fuck off. :lol:

I recognise the name but couldn't put a face to it! I never thought you looked young at all. :chin:
This discussion has been closed.