Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Industrial Piercing..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im almost 14, and I really want an Industrial Piercing..really badly!! Ive wanted one for ages. Ive found a good shop, with reasonable prices etc..but I really need to know if It'll hurt a lot? Yeah I expect pain, I've had both ears pierced three times, and havent had problems with them at all. I was just wondering if its likely I'll get an infection or if it'll totally rip my ear apart. Please give me your advice x.

Comments

• Options
    Whats an industrial piercing?

Also some places do have rules where your not allowed some piercings untill you are 16 and 18. You need to make sure your school is ok with it too.
  • Options
    Yes, it hurts, but nothing major. They are also incredibly difficult to heal as they tend to get knocked about easily (sleeping etc) and so are prone to rejection and/or keloid scarring.

Plus, any place willing to pierce you at 14 obviously doesn't give two shits about legalities, so why the hell should they care about hygiene?
    You should wait until you're 16, but you probably won't, so in that case here's hoping you don't get hepatitis.
  • Options
    Boyfriends got it done, he said the worst bit is the crunch you hear as the needle goes through, and that it aches and what not afterwards, and of course with all peircings if you knock it it hurts and make sure it's kept clean and all that otherwise it can get infected and sore, but if you look after it, it should be fine.
  • Options
    I think that would hurt alot, especially as it is such an awkward place-you'd have to be very careful when sleeping, brushing/washing your hair and other things like that. Depends on how much you want it done!!!
  • Options
    Industrials (or Scaffolds) are notoriously difficult to heal when pierced at the same time - some people prefer to have 2 helix piercings done at 2 seperate times to allow them to heal independently, before fitting an industrial bar through. This is perhaps the least painful method, but you need to tell your piercer that you want an industrial, so they can sort out the placement.

I know a lot of people who've had industrials, and know that they can be difficult to get on with - the pressure of the barbell on the 2 piercings. As with most cartilage piercing, pain is involved, and they're also not quick healers. A cartilage piercing can take upto a year to heal fully.

Unfortunately, most reputable piercing places will only pierce over the age of 16 with parental consent, so it's better to wait until you're old enough.

Ilora x
  • Options
    what is it?
  • Options
    Industrial

Ilora x
  • Options
    ewwww, that looks too sore :crazyeyes
  • Options
    hey thanks guys, for your help. the only thing now is trying to persuade my mum into letting me. can i just ask if you can choose how large the holes in your ears can be, as on the pic you showed ilora, the holes looked a lot larger than what ive seen??
  • Options
    Do you mean stretching? If so, then there isn't a limit really. A standard piercing is pierced at gauge 1.6mm and people have been known to stretch upto 3 inches wide! I've stretched my lobes to 5mm each using what's known as a 'taper' - a piece of steel that's larger at one end, and you just slowly push the taper through the piercing and then put that gauge jewellery in the hole.

When stretching, you stretch your piercing approx 1mm every 6-8 weeks. It's a long and time consuming process and should never be rushed.

If you need any more info, just pm me :) Ilora x
  • Options
    I think you must be out of your mind to want to do that to your ear. It looks ming.

Like flesh tunnels, or whatever they're called. Absolutely rank.
  • Options
    I wear flesh tunnels, and to be honest I've not met anyone who thinks mine are 'rank'. There are prettier tunnels out there you know and you don't have to have extremely large tunnels either;

Blackline and Diamante

Ilora x
  • Options
    yeah. thats what i meant. i want to keep the holes in my ear thin, and dont want to stretch them. btw Ilora, loving the piercings x
  • Options
    I wear flesh tunnels, and to be honest I've not met anyone who thinks mine are 'rank'. There are prettier tunnels out there you know and you don't have to have extremely large tunnels either;

Blackline and Diamante

Ilora x

No offence, but I still think it looks awful. Putting diamantes on it doesn't make it look any better.