Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Back pain.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since about 3 years ago i've been suffering from short bursts of back pain. It happens mostly when i'm either really active (eg standing on my feet for 6 hours straight at work) or inactive (being ill in bed for days). It's a very sharp pain in my lower spine, but it usually lasts only a couple of seconds. Though if i've been carrying heavy bags it can last up to a few hours, the pain then rises and makes it difficult for me to breath without pain. Paracetamol usually eases the pain within an hour, but i was wondering what it could be? Some one suggested sciatica, but i've heard that it is characterised by sharp pains down the legs, which i don't experience. It feels as though my nerves are being pinched, perhaps.. Can anyone help me give it a name?? :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Not a lot we can do through a computer you really should get examined by a professional.

Sciatica usually affects the lower back and the legs, but that does not necessarily mean that because you don't have leg pain that you don't have sciatica..

Get it checked out as soon as...
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Can anyone help me give it a name?? :crying:
    Back pain.

See your GP if it's bothersome.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Back pain.

Cheeky but funny....
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Since about 3 years ago i've been suffering from short bursts of back pain. It happens mostly when i'm either really active (eg standing on my feet for 6 hours straight at work) or inactive (being ill in bed for days). It's a very sharp pain in my lower spine, but it usually lasts only a couple of seconds. Though if i've been carrying heavy bags it can last up to a few hours, the pain then rises and makes it difficult for me to breath without pain. Paracetamol usually eases the pain within an hour, but i was wondering what it could be? Some one suggested sciatica, but i've heard that it is characterised by sharp pains down the legs, which i don't experience. It feels as though my nerves are being pinched, perhaps.. Can anyone help me give it a name?? :crying:
    Is it lower spine... and hurts more when you sit down?
  • Options
    your probably best getting it checked out by your gp tbh.

but does it feel like a stabbing pain?
  • Options
    Are you doing any sort of lifting at work?

Have you informed your boss of this pain and if so what steps are they taking to avoid a re-occurance?

Oh, and go see your GP.
  • Options
    It is reeeeeeealllly easy to damage your back. youd be surprised.
    Cut out the carrying of heavy shopping for a start. Buy less at a time or get a taxi/lift.
    Might be worth seeing a chiropractor.
  • Options
    Ok to answer your questions. I do lift sometimes at work, but that doesn't affect my back and i have had training on how to lift properly. It starts of as a lower spine pain, but can shoot up in worse cases. It doesn't feel like a stabbing pain, but it is really sharp, it feels like a pinching pain. So i was wondering if it could be a nerve or something. It doesn't happen all the time, mostly times when i'm either sleeping too much (so it could be my bed), carrying heavy bags or standing for too long. When it comes on badly i try to sleep on my back, as i find thios helps. The worst time it happened i had to sleep on the floor! I've had a harder matress since then, but my fiances is still very springy!
  • Options
    How fit are you?

You'd be surprised just how much exercise will help. Sit ups and general abdominal muscle strengthening exercises will also help to support your back better.

A chiropracter or osteopath would know what's best though really. Find them in the Yellow Pages.
  • Options
    I try to excercise at least 3 times a week, with aerobics, swimming and the gym. I'm a student though so any medical help i get will have to be free!
  • Options
    An appointment with a chiropracter isn't going to break the bank.

Swimming is good. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah its good for the joints isn't it?
  • Options
    Weight bearing exercise is good for joints, but swimming is one of the best forms of exercise going.
  • Options
    I've been neglecting my swimming lately cause of uni work, but its over now, so i'm off for an hours swim tomorow. :yes: