Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mumps...twice?!?!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it possible to get mumps twice or no?

Comments

• Options
    I was always under the impression that you could only get mumps once
  • Options
    he he. i asked this yesterday. although i reckon it's quite possible that one of the times you were actually misdiagnosed? who knows.

and also they say you can only get chicken pox once, but i'm sure i've heard of cases where people have had it again...
  • Options
    hmmm...last time i had it, it was only on one side...and i have all the same symptoms and the otherside is hurting and swollen...going to le doctor in a bit so we shall wait and see.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote:
    he he. i asked this yesterday. although i reckon it's quite possible that one of the times you were actually misdiagnosed? who knows.

and also they say you can only get chicken pox once, but i'm sure i've heard of cases where people have had it again...

I know of people who have had it twice. It isn't as severe the second time though apparently ... Chicken pox, that is.

I am sure you probably can get mumps twice. But again, it is quite rare.
  • Options
    its a lymph node infection....ah well no cold stuff for me for a while
  • Options
    Unlikely, but possible,
  • Options
    When there was a mumps epidemic at uni, I was at the doctors, and I asked him whether I needed to get the jab as I'd already had it (mumps, not the jab). He said no, as once you've had it once, it's highly unlikely you'll get it again.

I guess its similar to chicken pox, apparently (dont quote me though!) if your first bout of chicken pox wasnt that bad, there is a higher chance you'll gt it again over someone who had it badly the first time.
  • Options
    I guess its similar to chicken pox, apparently (dont quote me though!) if your first bout of chicken pox wasnt that bad, there is a higher chance you'll gt it again over someone who had it badly the first time.

The way one GP explained chicken pox to me was the same as above. If the first bout doesn't create sufficient antibodies (ie. it is a mild bout) then you can get it a second time.

These days mumps is a disease that has to be reported to public health when suspected. After a few weeks swabs are taken and sent to the public health departments to confirm the diagnosis and your GP has to fill in a report stating any vaccinations you've had and where you could have come into contact with the disease etc.

Another GP told me you can't get chicken pox twice, so opinion seems to be divided amongst the medical profession too.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    The way one GP explained chicken pox to me was the same as above. If the first bout doesn't create sufficient antibodies (ie. it is a mild bout) then you can get it a second time.

:yes: Thats what happened to me i ahd it when i was still kind of a baby, and again when i was 4, but at four i coukd scratch and everything so that was no fun.
  • Options
    i had rubella twice and thats very very unlikely.

my brother had rubella twice too. and the first time he was only a baby, and was really poorly and ended up in hospital.
  • Options
    my son had mumps even though I gave him the MMR jab. The doctors got really excited about it (like Bumblebee said) as it's so unusual these days.
  • Options
    Gald this was posted as I also have just had my eek second time mumps scare-actually had been to pub with a recovering mumps person. Couple of days later got a nasty swollen...lymph node, phew! I was worried but doc didnt treat me but sent me to walk in for a blood test-gotta go tomorrow but its gone down-I only know he suspected it as a lymph node infection as I read the blood test card and googled!

I didnt realise that the mmr wasn't that old-I mean that my age group is at risk as many didnt have it? When did it come in?