Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Pill and other tablets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been looking around and haven't been very successful in finding answers so maybe you lovely people could put my mind at ease.

I started the pill recently - I'm on Microgynon-30 . Basically, I know that certain medication affects the pill and I want to just double check :

Can taking Ibuprofen or Paracetemol affect the pills...working potential? I'm thinking it wouldn't as...people regularly do get headaches and take paracetemol for them and so if they stopped the pill working, then women would feel a bit peeved when needing something to help clear their heads...so I just want to double check. Recently I've been a tad poorly and needed an ibuprofen now and again, and as I do have nookie, we've been considering it without condoms recently, I want to make sure it's still ok to do so...I'm probably just worrying myself over nothing though...! And what could a person take that would render the pill ineffective?

Thanks for all answers in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    paracetamol and ibuprofen wont affect the pill (or at least i hope to god they don't because I always use them!)

the kind of medication that affect the pill are normally doctor prescribed antibiotics and as a general rule if the medication will affect contraceptive pills it will say so in the instruction leaflet
  • Options
  • Options
    alot of people forget that throwing up and diahorrea (sp?) also effect it too.
  • Options
    alot of people forget that throwing up and diahorrea (sp?) also effect it too.

True, but on reading the panphlet and the advice sheet they've got on here, they put that as a bit issue - it was just 'some medication' though and I was just wondering whether something as common as paracetemol and ibuprofen would affect it.

Thank you for the replies :)
  • Options
    :yes: Antibiotics and St Johns Wort with the Pill are the more common interactions. If you're worried or unsure, the best person to ask is your local pharmacist.

Can i just ask, i've always wanted to know...what the fuck is St Johns Wort?????
    It sounds deadly :crazyeyes
  • Options
    herbal anti- depressent