Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Volunteering in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody got any good ideas for Volunteering in London?? weekends evenings etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Also, our sister site, do-it has a briliant search where you can find opportunities in your area according to what you're interested in.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Also, our sister site, do-it has a briliant search where you can find opportunities in your area according to what you're interested in.
    I don't mean to denigrate that site, but how much use it is depends entirely on where you live. For example, if you're in London, opportunities for volunteering are six a penny. However, where I am right now, the nearest volunteering opportunity is 32 miles away. I think someone up there's trying to tell me to move! :lol:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't mean to denigrate that site, but how much use it is depends entirely on where you live. For example, if you're in London, opportunities for volunteering are six a penny. However, where I am right now, the nearest volunteering opportunity is 32 miles away. I think someone up there's trying to tell me to move! :lol:
    hopefully under a 40 ton truck....
  • Options
    I'm getting sick of this JsT, you're getting damn close to a serious warning if you haven't anything better to do than insult other users.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yeah I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately it is dependant on the opportunities that local volunteering bureaus and organisations feed into it, so if you live in a more remote area there is usually a lot less choice - I guess that's probably the way for a lot of things if you live in the middle of the country?
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Yeah I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately it is dependant on the opportunities that local volunteering bureaus and organisations feed into it, so if you live in a more remote area there is usually a lot less choice - I guess that's probably the way for a lot of things if you live in the middle of the country?
    That's definitely true where I am. I'm not intent on staying here though, as soon as I can afford it, I'm off somewhere else, either by myself or with some mates. But you're completely right there.
  • Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Just to add my 2 pence worth...

The first thing you need to decide is what you want/are willing to do (broadly) anyway. Volunteer roles can take many forms and there are a mass of opportunities available in any given area. Also, you need to decide on the level of commitment you are willing to give. Are you looking for something to do occasionally, or something most weekends?

Once you've worked this out, search for organisations within the specific areas.

Examples could include:

- Working with children - make contact with relevant organisations, eg youth clubs, sports clubs, scouts, guides etc (will probably require background checks)

- Working with people with disabilities - contact various organisations eg RNIB etc

- Working with animals - contact organisations such as dogs trust, RSPCA, Guide Dogs for the Blind

- First Aid / Ambulance / Police - contact Red Cross/St Johns who have groups that provide cover for events (see http://www.sja.org.uk for St Johns). Also, you could consider joining the local special constabulary - 16 hours a month in an operational policing role. Contact your local force recruitment department or see http://www.policespecials.com (age dependant)

- Advice/Support - contact organisations such as the Samaritans (age dependant).

- University - there are normally opportunities to get involved in you students union in a voluntary capacity.

2005 is the year of the volunteer - have a look at http://www.volunteering.org.uk/overview.php?id=392

Hope this helps.

Jon
  • Options
    so you're probably too late for this this year but to keep in mind for next summer, i'm volunteering at the globe theatre all summer which should be fun!