Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis back to Class B?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So it's over a year since cannabis was downgraded to a Class C drug, but with the election over and Labour once again in power, they have said they will review it's current status. Alot has been said about Cannabis and mental health and i'm sure they will push this further to bring the drug back up to Class B.

Also due to the fact Blair has fallen out of favour with the public, I have a feeling he feels as though this is his last chance, and is going to do everything in his power to try and win over the general public once more. And this includes moving Cannabis back up to a Class B drug...

I just have this gut feeling that it's inevitable. It seems as though the governments war on drugs is 90% a war on Cannabis. Around my area the police really like cracking down on it, really doesn't seem like they are focusing on hard drugs at all. I've witnessed an Officer using tweazers to pick bits on 'green' out of a friends tin, must have been 20p's worth seriously, and proceeded to give him a warning, one more and he's down the station for fingerprints etc.... the situations involving people being arressted for possession of cannabis can only get worse, which they will if it goes back to a class B.

Any views and thoughts on this topic?

Comments

• Options
    How much more harshly does the law take Class B drugs than class C?
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    Any views and thoughts on this topic?
    fuck 'em.
    they may well bring civil unrest upon themselves. seriously ...you'd be surprised how much anger these statements have stirred and in how many people from many backgrounds.
  • Options
    easy target for idle coppers.it fuckin annoys me!
  • Options
    I think that concentrating on our heroin problem would win Mr Blair more public votes. Not just targeting the dealers either but putting money into rehab clinics to help those on the downward spirral that heroin forces you to take.
  • Options
    Given that recreational users only account for 1% of the cost of drug use it would seem unwise, doesnt mean they wont do it though.

They will have to fight with ACPO about it if they do, and the Advisory Council on Drugs.
  • Options
    hmm i hope they dont re-classify it up to class b, if that happenned the police would probably have to take a much harder interest into the cannabis cafes that exist in the uk (like the one in my town), and of course waste valuable police time that could be used on more important things.
  • Options
    Article Titled - Cannabis: Time To Rethink?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4528537.stm
  • Options
    Yep, I read that a few days ago, it appears cannabis is more dangerous than first thought, but that doesnt really make it seriously risky.

And this talk of 'skunk' pisses me off, yes it may well be stronger, but do you smoke the same amount? No.

And of course it used to be we would get strong hash which would piss on the THC content of even the strongest 'skunk' did we hear an outcry about that? No.

Cannabis can be dangerous, especially to some people but that is an educational problem which will NOT be solved by the law being tougher.

And of course no matter how dangerous cannabis is now supposed to be is anyone going to tell me skunk is as dangerous as methamphetamine?!
  • Options
    I know, if meth became big in the UK i'd hate to see it after 5 years.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    I know, if meth became big in the UK i'd hate to see it after 5 years.
    it has been around these shores before and yes it did devastate a few individuals ...for a while.
    the vast majority of people though do recover from all manner of illegals.
    look at the heroin epidemic of the early eighties ...
    most of the people in this country were only aware cos of a crime increase and even then ...it was nothing like the press like to portray.
    if it happens ...most of you won't notice.
  • Options

I agree whole-heartedly with MoonGoddess.

It is really hard for people without a lot of money to get a place at a rehab centre, and then to get the sufficient after-care that they need. Government funding aimed in that direction would be far, far more valuable than all this wasting time with White Papers, Green Papers, Rizzla Papers!! And for what? To make more young people 'criminals.'

I had a wealthy friend who needed to get off coke, and he went away to a private place for six months, then to a half-way house for two months, and then a mentor came and moved into his house with him for about six or eight weeks and didn't let him out of his sight. I dread to think how much all that cost him.

Where as my brother, who has been killing himself with heroin abuse for years and years, and who's body is graually shutting down, has found it almost impossible to get a place in a detox centre. And even when he finally did, it is only for a few weeks, and then he's out, on his own, jobless, homeless, and stark sober. God only knows how long he'll last.

It's really bad.

Maybe we should get a petition satrted and send it to 'hip, Oasis-loving' Mr Blair!

:yeees:
  • Options
    Solan wrote:

:yeees:
    heroin doesn't shut bodies down.
  • Options
    heroin doesn't shut bodies down.

No, but the diet and lifestyle which is forced upon the street addict wont do them any good.
  • Options

I like to add a little creative flair to my writing, MC. It's not all facts, figures and statistics on this site I hope.

Anyway - to clarify... his body is 'shutting down' because his blood flow is so pathetic that he has got gangrene in his feet, his liver is infected and f***ed, he is in pain constantly, and now he has MRSA on the open sores.

He's not exactly jumping for joy, yeah?!!

Does that explain 'shutting down,' or do I still need correcting?

:impissed:
  • Options
    Solan wrote:

I like to add a little creative flair to my writing, MC. It's not all facts, figures and statistics on this site I hope.

Anyway - to clarify... his body is 'shutting down' because his blood flow is so pathetic that he has got gangrene in his feet, his liver is infected and f***ed, he is in pain constantly, and now he has MRSA on the open sores.

He's not exactly jumping for joy, yeah?!!

Does that explain 'shutting down,' or do I still need correcting?

:impissed:
    it's the sand and cement you gotta watch.
    poor guy ...he sounds done for.
  • Options
    Solan; Stories like that shouldnt happen, that isnt the heroin, it doesnt do that, thats all the crap, which doesnt have to be in peoples heroin. Cases like that are the product of the law, not heroin in of itself.