Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Confused about fruit and veg! :confused:

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A potato is a vegetable right? So why doesn't it count towards your 5 a day? And why does juice only count once no matter how much you drink? What if i were to drink 3 different kinds of juice, would that still only count as one portion? And another thing, if a tomato is a fruit how come you never see it in a fruit bowl?!

Comments

• Options
    The potato thing is because they count as a starchy carbohydrate rather than a vegetable and they only contain a few vitamins.
    Juice only counts once because otherwise you don't get the range of goodness you would get from eating many-that applies to most though, the one portion thing.

Tomatoes aren't normally in the fruit bowl because firstly, we don't have a fruit bowl, secondly they are supposed to be kept in the fridge! :p

I think.
  • Options
    If you eat the skin, you can count it. But it's not included to prevent people thinking that their chips count as a veg. ;)

Tomatoes are savoury, and thus not included in an average fruit bowl.
  • Options
    and people think they are vegetables.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    and people think they are vegetables.
    Let's face it, only botanists and pedants think they are fruits.
  • Options
    I am a master in pedantry. ;)
  • Options
    Bloomin' nurses. :p
  • Options
    Yas!!

Mon the nurses!!
  • Options
    Am I the only person who keeps tomatoes and peppers in the fruit bowl then?
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Am I the only person who keeps tomatoes and peppers in the fruit bowl then?
    Yes you are.
    I think you could count a baked potato as a vegetable portion, but as someone said, its to prevent people thinking that chips count as a veg portion (which a lot of people do seem to think)
    I also dont understand why fruit juice is only counted as one portion no matter how much you drink. That doesnt seem logical to me. I think it must be to stop people thinking they can just drink a gallon of OJ along with their big mac meals and theyll be ok.
    I think if you have a whole range of different juices then it must count surely?
  • Options
  • Options
    Well that article was mostly about how much fiber is in fruits and veg, so how come a bowl of all bran isn't considered part of 5 a day? Or am i really starting to become pedantic now? And why aren't chips considered a vegetable??
  • Options
    Do all beans count? I know baked beans count but do kidney beans and chick peas etc??? Or lentils...?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Well that article was mostly about how much fiber is in fruits and veg, so how come a bowl of all bran isn't considered part of 5 a day? Or am i really starting to become pedantic now? And why aren't chips considered a vegetable??

Because all bran is clearly not a fruit or vegetable, thats why.

Chips are not considered a vegetable because they are normally soaked in fat and have next to no vitamin content at all.
  • Options
    Yes but a multi vitamin doesn't count, but that has loads of vitamins.
  • Options
    a multi vitamin is good, but doesnt/shouldnt replace a healthy balanced diet.
    A bowl of all bran isnt counted as fruit and veg, it would be counted as the roughage part of your diet. Its a complex carbohydrate which is much better for you than simple carbohydrates such as pasta and sugar.
    Fruit and vegetables are vitally important, but so are other food groups
    http://www.medical-library.net/
    If you go to that site and type `nutrition` into the search box, it comes up with different food groups in nutrition.

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/home.asp?siteId=43&sectionId=299&which=1
  • Options
    At a guess, probably the reason tomatoes aren't in a fruitbowl is this:
    Tomatoes are designed to eithier be eaten or to rot. They rot pretty quickly naturally (not so much now thanks to GM foods!) and when they do they let of ethene gas to help speed it up, the gas spreads to other nearby tomatoes and makes them rot quickly to catch up letting of more ethene (or is it ethane?) gas. If you put them in a fruitbowl at room tempreature next to lots of other foods then they'll not only rot quicker, but they'll speed up the process of everything else going rotten as well!
  • Options
    Tomatoes are designed to eithier be eaten or to rot. They rot pretty quickly naturally (not so much now thanks to GM foods!) and when they do they let of ethene gas to help speed it up, the gas spreads to other nearby tomatoes and makes them rot quickly to catch up letting of more ethene (or is it ethane?) gas. If you put them in a fruitbowl at room tempreature next to lots of other foods then they'll not only rot quicker, but they'll speed up the process of everything else going rotten as well!

And they go in salad so you put them next to lettuce in the fridge
  • Options
    And that goes for bananas too doesn't it? I was told not to put bananas next to apples in the fruitbowl because bananas make the apples go off? I guess it's the same gas...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Does an onion count i've always wondered this.
  • Options
    if you eat a full one i guess it does, and yes it is possible. ive done it myself. but dont recommend it.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    And they go in salad so you put them next to lettuce in the fridge
    Yes but the reaction is slower in the fridge because its cooler.
  • Options
    Ok something else i've wondered. I eat a lot of Qourn, which is made up from a mushroom type protein. Now considering its from the mushroom family and mushrooms are vegetables can qourn be considerd as part of the 5 a day?
  • Options
    NO!!!

Quorn is a man made substitute for Meat. It is not a vegetable. :impissed:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Don't like it then?
  • Options
    I don't eat the stuff. Why do vegetarians want to eat something that's meant to taste like the one thing they won't eat!? I don't understand it.

If you don't eat meat, why are you eating a substitute that is made to taste like meat!? :banghead:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Fruit juice only counts as one portion because any more than one glass a day becomes worse for you, because of the amount of sugar in it. No added sugar, but there's enough natural sugar to keep you going.

The only part of a potato (which is a tuber not a true vegetable) that has any significant nutritional value is the skin. Peeled potatoes have little nutritional value in terms of vitamins and minerals, and what value they do have is largely lost through boiling them, either in water or in fat.

How your prepare your veg is as important as how much you eat. If you boil your veg you lose a significant amount of the nutritional value by osmosis; steaming is better as more vitamins are retained in the veg. If you boil you don't get the full benefit, and so you would need to eat more.

Things made from the constituent parts of fruit or veg are not counted as fruit or veg unless all or most of the constituent parts are used. Vegetable oil isn't part of your five-a-day, nor is chocolate, nor is Ribena, and nor are alcoholic drinks.
  • Options
    I don't eat the stuff. Why do vegetarians want to eat something that's meant to taste like the one thing they won't eat!? I don't understand it.

i eat a lot of quorn mince because my body has issues digesting red meat. one of my friends eats quorn because she's on a diet and it's a lot lower in fat and calories than meat. mr. kaff eats quorn cause he likes the taste. what is there not to understand?
    I eat a lot of Qourn, which is made up from a mushroom type protein. Now considering its from the mushroom family and mushrooms are vegetables can qourn be considerd as part of the 5 a day?

it's man made from fungus protein, it's not a mushroom. a lot of veggie stuff is mate from wheat protein, but it's not a slice of bread.
  • Options

If you don't eat meat, why are you eating a substitute that is made to taste like meat!? :banghead:

Ilora x

I have cut down on my meat and substitute it with Qourn, becaise i like the taste of meat, but i have ethical issues with the way in which animals are treated. However, i do really enjoy eating meat still, so i cut down my intake and try to eat free range.

BTW are raisons a fruit?
  • Options

Leaving aside the sanctimonious pretentiousness, why the fuck SHOULDN'T someone eat Quorn?

I like the taste of wine but I sometimes have to drive so the wife can get tiddly, so I drink grape juice instead. Same principle, innit?

Personally I think Quorn tastes like heated up and dried out cardboard, and my own toenails have more taste to them, but that's not the point. I'd be sad that veggies don't have the menu to eat something that isn't Quorn, but that's not the point either.

ETA: you could probably argue that raisins are a fruit, as they are dried grapes, but it would be better to just eat grapes.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Yes but a multi vitamin doesn't count, but that has loads of vitamins.
    Multi vitamin pills are no better than a balanced diet. Healthy people don't need them.