Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MSN and Firefox?

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Ok, just wondering is there a way to make MSN open firefox as the browser when you click to view your emails, as it just opens up IE by default?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Been searching and never found anything. Does my fucking head in as well.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont think there is away but as an alternative can't you set your hotmail up as a pop3 with your firefox browser so you dont have to open it?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    I dont think there is away but as an alternative can't you set your hotmail up as a pop3 with your firefox browser so you dont have to open it?

But its easy when you can jsut click the button on MSN. It'd be better if it didn't open IE.
  • Options
    i dont think u can unless u uninstalled IE?
  • Options
    set firefox as your default browser?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    set firefox as your default browser?
    Done that already!
  • Options
    everything except MSN Spaces opens in firefox for me. i've just set firefox as the default browser in WinXP
  • Options
    when i click on the view mail part it brings open the mozilla mail client not IE
  • Options
    Argh it does that to me aslwee, so annoying :(

Considering IE gives me stupid errors and closes itself every 5 seconds.
  • Options
    As long as you have no i.e hi jacks it only takes a second to open it, and hotmail is a secure site so as long as you don't download any suspicious attatchments it's just as good as firefox, it doesn't really get on my nerves at all because I just click once and my emails pop up. With MSN 7 thuogh there's that msn today window that shows you all your emails anyway :)
  • Options
    If I understand the problem correctly the answer is to get rid of MSN and replace it with another client that uses the MSN protocol I use trillian it works "as" MSN perfectly and also lets me chat to people on AOL, ICQ, YAHOO and also IRC.

Find out more here (I promise it won't bite):
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/
  • Options
    Good thread: I was wondering this exact same thing.

I've set Firefox as the default browser in XP, but MSN still insists on opening IE. I don't want to delete IE as I still use it for compatability testing websites (webdesigner, you see).
  • Options
    msn = microsoft,
    IE = microsoft

hence microsoft force you to use IE from MSN ;<

there is no way of changing it (although there might be a well hidden hack out there somewhere)
  • Options
    Alternative Method

Get a POP3 email account and forward all your hotmail to that address by setting it up in hotmail options. Then you can use Outlook Express or even better all you Mozilla fans, Firebird!

that way clicking the mail icon on Messenger will open Outlook or Firebird and not IE!

Alternatively, get a pop3 account as before, and register it as a passport for MSN rather than using hotmail cos you don't have to!
    I use my ntlworld email address to sign into Messenger.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    i think you can change it if you download msn plus, not 100% sure though.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    MSN Plus is full of spyware.
  • Options
    no its not
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    no its not

Yes it fucking well is! I had it once... it fucked my PC, royaly. I spent months removing all that shit.

Seriously, don't. Just don't.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes it fucking well is! I had it once... it fucked my PC, royaly. I spent months removing all that shit.

Seriously, don't. Just don't.

had it for ages. run ad-aware and full virus scan weekly. no spyware here....

did you install the sponsers toolbar?
  • Options
    No, Just MSN Plus. Then when you uninstall it, it install a whole bunch of Adware.

I uninstalled it becasue it was broken, ffs, and then it does that.
  • Options
    well i never had any problems with it
  • Options
    This is what you are looking for, its the best solution I have found. It is an extension that makes the option "view page in firefox" available in IE. So when you start browsing in IE by mistake right click and viewpage in firefox.

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/firefoxview/

There is also a "view page in internet explorer" extension. It is useful for when pages only work with IE.
  • Options
    MSN plus installs hijacks and some spyware, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    MSN plus installs hijacks and some spyware, if I remember correctly.

You do, dont ever expect to go to your chosen webpage with that on. Grrr!
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You do, dont ever expect to go to your chosen webpage with that on. Grrr!

*expects... goes... score* :p

heard lots of dodgy rumours about msn plus installing adware ONLY if you install the 'sponsors' programs too (including the IE search tool). the terminology of that specific screen is easily confusing though. guess it relies on the person installing to quickly click through the process... :chin:
  • Options
    I made sure it didn't install the toolbar... and it didn't. Then I uninstalled MSN Plus because it broke (grr) an lo and behold, a not-a-toolbar (it was in ALL windows areas) things appears.

Other people get it too... its evil, you cant delete anything it does, unless you get an uninstaller some chap made for it.
  • Options
    It is possible to get MSN to open in Firefox, but as Maladjusted mentions, you need MSN Plus. it is easy to install and configure, just make sure you avoid the Spyware stuff in the install package (is is installed by default). MSN Plus is available from http://www.msgplus.net. Then you need to download a plugin for MSN Plus called StuffPlug. this is available from http://www.stuffplug.com. Simply enable "Open all links in default browser".

As an aside, I have never had any problems with uninstalling MSN Plus, problems may occur but only if the adware has been installed in the first place.

If you have installed the adware, then check out the FAQ on the MSN Plus website: http://www.msgplus.net/help_faq.php?expand=2#spam.

HTH

|3 |_| >< *