Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Drugs are wrong"

Thank God that the Tories are not going to get into power, and for any of you who can, get out and bloody vote against them.

"Family spokeswoman Theresa May promised to make cannabis a Class B drug once again as part of giving a "clear message drugs are wrong". "

Says the BBC.

Why on Earth she would want to do this is beyond me.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The name of their political party says it all, dude. :no:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    "Family spokeswoman Theresa May promised to make cannabis a Class B drug once again as part of giving a "clear message drugs are wrong". "

Next they'll be enlisting the help of Mr Hat.

mmkay?
  • Options
    Of course the double standards there are overlooked, in that I presume they would never say 'alcohol is wrong'.

Beating up on drug users is an easy and cheap hit for politicians in that they are never going to talk back, you can look tough, look like you will act toughly and then carry on doing nothing.
  • Options
    how you can apply an intrinsic moral value, inherently unwaveringly to such a wide variety of material properties scares me....Unilateralism scares me...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    Thank God that the Tories are not going to get into power, and for any of you who can, get out and bloody vote against them.

Says the BBC.

Why on Earth she would want to do this is beyond me.

I wouldn't consider that a very important reason to vote against them TBH.
    The legality makes fuck all difference to me. - especailly if it's only a difference between class c or b.

I imagine the change of class would make fuck all difference to how the police handle things anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    yes but by there behaviour here you might find yourself on the end of the Howard 'Prison works and i'll prove it' incarceration drive the way you carry on.

You get caught with crack in Howard's Britain, it might be quite a scarey experience...
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I wouldn't consider that a very important reason to vote against them TBH.
    The legality makes fuck all difference to me. - especailly if it's only a difference between class c or b.

Economically it makes a difference to you even if you never get busted.

You'll have to pay for the 20,000 extra prison cells and you have to pay for the rise in crime rate which will probably result in this and other Tory policies.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You'll have to pay for the 20,000 extra prison cells.

What for people busted for smoking dope?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Some of them could well be yes, but thats just the starting point which they are promising for all criminals.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Some of them could well be yes, but thats just the starting point which they are promising for all criminals.

OK.

But as I said before - whether dope is class b or c matters very little to me. And I don't reckon it makes much difference to the way the police would deal with you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It probably wouldnt, but its also an ethical choice, the Tories obviously have a moral objection to 'druggies' and I dont think thats a view either of us can share.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I believe part of the Conservative Manifesto is the introduction of 22,000 or so new treatment centres to enable them to bring in 'enforced treatment or jail' options for those caught in posession of drugs. So I guess what Bong is saying is that the re-classification of cannabis is an indication of their general attitude towards drugs and drug takers.
  • Options
    Because everyone knows that people who take drugs are a liability and need to be treated, else they'll become a criminal... :rolleyes:

Bloody Torys.
  • Options
    Fuck the tory's. They'd never get my vote anyway.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I believe part of the Conservative Manifesto is the introduction of 22,000 or so new treatment centres to enable them to bring in 'enforced treatment or jail' options for those caught in posession of drugs. So I guess what Bong is saying is that the re-classification of cannabis is an indication of their general attitude towards drugs and drug takers.

twenty fucking two thousand new clinics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats about how many petrol stations there are in england!
    who how going to pay for this pipe dtream?
    gotta be wrong.
    and i don't want treating thankyou very much.
  • Options
    the class of marajuana will make very little difference. Cannabis will still be continued to be smoked regardless of the consequences, maybe even more due to the 'excitement/adrenaline rush' that people get from doing something seen as 'highly illegal'....
  • Options
    the bigger the penalties the tougher the dealers.
    a guy with enough stuff in the boot of the car to get five years will take his chance ...if they up the penalty to twenty years ...the copper gets it ...simple.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    the bigger the penalties the tougher the dealers.
    a guy with enough stuff in the boot of the car to get five years will take his chance ...if they up the penalty to twenty years ...the copper gets it ...simple.

And then we end up like the USA where cops get in on the drugs business, becasue hte higher the stakes, the higher the prices. And cops see a chance to make money being in on the take, or they can end up dead instead.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And then we end up like the USA where cops get in on the drugs business, becasue hte higher the stakes, the higher the prices. And cops see a chance to make money being in on the take, or they can end up dead instead.
    ho ho ho!
    thirty years ago cops were busting white guys and selling it to black guys and vice versa.
    i myslf stood oin the dock for possesion of an ounce ...i was actualy in possesion of a kilo.
    was i going to tell the judge that? i don't think so.
  • Options
    I'm surprised the number of you who are dismissing this as 'not affecting you'.

If the law does change back it could well affect you, thousands of people did used to get criminal records for possession, and they could again with the Tories.

All it takes is some bad luck and a mean copper and you're living with that on your record.

As for the treatment centres, that plan is over the course of the parliment and isnt, I believe going to be effective. Forced treatment rarely works.

They should put money into treatment outside of the criminal justice system, so that people can be refered easier and quicker from their GP.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If the law does change back it could well affect you, thousands of people did used to get criminal records for possession, and they could again with the Tories.

Do you think the difference between class a and b will make a lot of difference in the way the police deal with you?

I don't.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Not with a lot of areas no, the change has made no difference in London and the big Cities, but it has made a change in other areas. This disparity is wrong.

There is also the principle of the thing, everyone knows its purely an election vote grab with no basis in the real harm of the drug. Thats no way to decide policy.
  • Options
    The fact of the matter is that drugs will continue to be purchased, taken and sold regardless of the penalty.

You don't have to take, sell or buy them but the likely hood is that if you already do, then you will continue to. It's your choice to do it so you face the consequences.
  • Options
    Iconic wrote:
    You don't have to take, sell or buy them but the likely hood is that if you already do, then you will continue to. It's your choice to do it so you face the consequences.

But the law is unethical, unproductive and adds to the harm caused rather than lessens it.
  • Options
    and what is this cannabis treatment/cure?
    they going to wire me up and plug me in?
    hypnotise me?
    inject me with morphine?
    give me cannabis patches?
  • Options
    I suppose you could under go a course of CBT, but that seems a bit drastic.
  • Options
    why the hell do these people seem hell bent on changing me ...changing me into what ...a suit?
  • Options
    They want to make you a square.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    They want to make you a square.
    why are they hell bent on changing my behaviour?
  • Options
    Because you Rolly remind them that there might be something different, that you might be able to not follow the rules and come out ok. And thats scary because it flys in the face of what they would like to believe.