Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

morning after pill safety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,

i have recently had to take the morning after pill due to a pill and condom malfunction. when i told my friend about this she said that you should take it no more than 3times in your life because of it's high dosage. taking it more than that could lead to problems with pregnancy etc.

now this worried me since i have never heard of this rule before. i know it shouldn't be taken frequently as some sort of contraception but surely if i have to take it again im not putting myself at risk?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    I've never heard of the three times in your life rule. It sounds like one of those urban myths. By your friend's reasoning, no one should be on hormonal contraception either because in time, we would have eventually taken the equivalent amount of hormone!

I have also never seen any credible medical literature that suggests that emergency contraception has a long term impact on future fertility, nor does it affect subsequent pregnancies.
  • Options
    i think if this was the case that we'd probably know about it. if that makes any sense! the chemist or wherever you got it from would've presumably had to ask you how many times you'd taken it.
  • Options
    I thought it was that you can't take it more than 3 times a year or something like that.