Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I hate my life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Time for a bit of a pour heart out moment.... :crying:

I'm a total failure & very unhappy & have been for well over 2 years now. Everything i've tried has blown up in my face & it's starting to take it's toll on my now lacking desire to succeed in life. My body thermometer is now in negative double figures. My life pretty much consists of sleeping, eating, watching TV & going online. I've no longer got any friends due to them moving on in life & i'm extremely shy & very cautious around new people. So making friends just doesn't happen.

I've got no direction in what I really enjoy doing & would like to take up as a career:(

I've got a big fat zero on the experience front & have never had a single job in my life time(19 years). I've only got GCSE's & they seem to count for nothing nowadays.

My family are useless on the support front & offer me no form of role model to aspire to or any form of advice. My gf is @ uni being a high flyer & all & i'm left @ home with nothing to look forward to.

I'm doing this accounting course thingy & honestly my heart is not in the stupid thing @ all but then if I quit then i've got no life prospects at all then. Also, my mum paid £120 odd for me to get the course books etc. so i'm not wanting to leave her out of pocket & waste her money.

Please feel free to add any comments of your own:)

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Options
    i was in a similar situation, i didnt want to do a levels, i was sick of education, had support off family, but that was when both my parents went through nervous breakdowns, so 6th form basically for me was giving the support the rest of them needed, including to my brother

i came out of 6th form with crap results than what i could have achieved, but i was happy i got something, the two years gave me a chance to have some vague thought of what i wanted to do with life, ended up going to uni and dropping out last november in my second year

im not saying ive had a hard time, ive had good oppertunities and chances, just as they seem to come along, i jump on them for a short while and realise im going too fast and fall off

theres loads of details in my life story i could put in, but i cant be bothered, theres too much of it, as because as soon as i start writing one thing, i need to explain it with another

stick with the course, even if you dont like it, if you come out of it with something then good, if not then your still ok, dont take life one day at a time, just deal with it as it hits you its blows, things will work out, things wont work out

just see what tomorrow brings and good luck to you
  • Options
    i did a-levels and got crap marks (even though i did actually work which makes it even worse), but i just thought of it that at least i got some a-levels. i went on to uni but messed up the year moved to another uni, hated every single minute of it, plus i had so much other stuff going on.i ended up quiting that aswell. this was the lowest point of my life (lots of shit going on). so i ended up going home, i was in a hell of a lot of debt. i got a job, was a shit job but i got money, paid off most of my debts and decided i wanted to go back to ubi, im now just finishing my 1st year and im doing well. there must be something u want to do. just sit down and think of the kind of things u enjoy. there are so many different courses u can do these days its unreal. if u dont want to do any courses or uni is not an option, then think about getting a job.even if u start working in tescos or something, its a job and it will pay!!it will give u experience in the 'real world' u may change ur mind later an decided u do wanna go to uni cos u dont wanna be stuck in a dead end job that u hate!!worked for me!
    even so, loads of jobs these days have like interns that start off at the bottom but work their way up. why not try for something like that?
    i think u should continue ur course as it will give u a qualification which will make it easier to get a job/get into uni.
    u just need to sit down and have a good think of the things u could do!!
    theres always the army!!(sorry from army background)!
    good luck!
  • Options
    I did the whole follow the crowd (easy way) thing with 6th form those 2 odd years ago. I never thought about going to 6th form to be quite honest so I was never really decided on it was something I wanted to do.

I lasted just about 4 months due to the work load being insane I had no break @ all working constantly during the day then continue into the evening & all night for several days on end including the weekend. I was very close to loosing the plot but saved myself by leaving. Which I don't regret in the slightest to this day because it's the only 1st really decision i've made for myself.

I've no idea where the thinking came from to do this accounting course lark because i've not got an ounce of interest in the subject to be quite honest. I've just no desire to learn anything further about the subject it's like i'm torturing myself. So yet again i've made a decision without thinking & i've discovered that it's totally the wrong thing for me to do. Exams & vast amounts of theory & writing is not my bag. It's like on a scale of 1-10 it struggles to hit 0.5.

I'm really sorry for typing all this stuff:(
  • Options
    Ohh really dont' loose heart - I've got loads of friends who only have GCSE's and have better paid jobs than I do - or you could discover like me after you've done a whole degree and a masters that your lack of self confidence and writing ability mean that your only able to do a job that you needed just a-levels to do.

So my advice really is that a-levels/degrees are really only worth doing anyway if your going to have an uber vocational job such as being a doctor or if its something you really want to study - doing them for the sake of doing them means that you end up getting frustrated not getting good marks and i really dont' belive that having more education is better than having practical work experience.

Right so what you have to do is not only find something which your interested in but that your good at (my big problem in life has alwasy been that i've chosen stuff thats hard because things i'm good at i've found boring and i've wanted a challenge). Having a while to take time out and find out what you might be good isn't a bad thing.

Have you considered signing up with temp agencies??? You can get all sorts of different varied roles and you dont' need loads of qualifications to carry them out - get in now though before the universities break up for the summer and everyone wants a temp job.

Go to a carrears adviser and see what they suggest - we did all these test things at school which gave us like 20 jobs we should consider kind of thing...

As for the accountancy thing yes its a bit random and you probaby dont' want to do it for the rest of your life - BUT its a really good skill to have, if you ever want to run your own business, have to manage projects at work, run events etc etc.... all of these require financial managment and accountancy knowledge - so dont' discount it first off. Even if you complete just one module i'm sure that you will feel like you have achieved something and will have a skill to offer if your temping looking for a job etc etc...
  • Options
    Just to let you know temp agencies are worth looking into as I worked for one last summer and I got pretty good pay too.
  • Options
    oh dear crispy!
    take heart that at 19 you have only just set out in life.
    you have more life in front of you than behind you ...and you need to see that as a positive.
    how about trying something completely different?
    force yourself to go out in the sunshine on a bike or on foot ...for at least a couple of hours a day.
    how about doing some labouring ...like landscape gardening or similar.
    yes i'm being serious cos i believe sunshine and fresh air to be a very powerful anti depressant. as is physical work ...especialy the kind that gets you close to nature.
    you have lots of time to decide on your long term future.
    and ...if you have a girlfriend who is so active ...you will i'm sure loose her at some point cos you'll just seem so depressing.
    hard but true mate.
    garden9ng might not be the best paid job in the world but ...i'm suggesting it as a medication not an earner.
  • Options
    i think you do need to force yourself to get out more,perhaps as rolly suggests or just working in a shop.anything that will get you to meet people whilst you are deciding what to do with the rest of your life.everyone you meet in life will have a story of their own to tell,and it is truly fascinating to hear about other peoples lifes.sounds simular to the site,but there is nothing better than one on one contact with people,a sure way in my opinion to bring you out of your shell.
    like the others have said,there is no rush! you have plenty of time to decide what you want to do,i left school at 15 and didnt even take my final exams,i just went to work with my dad and learnt from him a trade that i grew to like.
    i then went to college to get qualified,and was lucky to get an apprenticship.
    since then i have worked all over the country meeting different people and enjoying every second of it.being a mechanic isnt the most respected trade in the world,and there are people that look down their noses at you,but hey,i'm happy doing it,and i'm good at it.don't let people railroad you into something you dont want to do,and a bit of life expierience will probably help you to decide.

good luck mate :)
  • Options
    http://www.thisisawar.com/DebtsWonderful.htm

Is this an inspiring link?
    The answer is no. Colonel Sanders didn't begin to fulfill his dream until he was 65 years old! What drove him to finally take action? He was broke and alone. He got his first Social Security check for $105, and he got mad. But instead of blaming society or just writing Congress a nasty note, he started asking himself, "What could I do that would be valuable for other people? What could I give back?" He started thinking about what he had that was valuable to others.

No. it's the true story of how KFC was made.

I am not suggesting that you have a read of this article and do some thinking about how you change your behaviour to make your life better, I am telling you to.> The information is out there - grab it and take action for fucks sake.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody:)

I've decided to focus all my efforts on finding a job as all i'm really intrested in @ the moment is earning money & buying a car. Plus being out in the real world interacting with the general public should do me the world of good & hopefully boost my self confidence.

Then around Aug-Sept I should have an idea of what i'd like to do as a career & I can sort myself out with doing some qualification/s:)