Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oh medical wise ones...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a rotten sore throat and a horrible tickly cough, sooooo what medicines are safe to take when pregnant?

I phoned NHS 24 earlier on and the ever so helpful woman is sending me leaflets :yeees:

Are co-codomals ok to take?

*makes mental note to self not to throw out the leaflets that come with tablets*

Comments

• Options
    Co-codamol? Isnt that overkill? I would suggest simple paracetmol.

If you must take co-codamols, what strength do you have and how many weeks pregnant ae you?
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Co-codamol? Isnt that overkill? I would suggest simple paracetmol.

If you must take co-codamols, what strength do you have and how many weeks pregnant ae you?
    See I've never really had a problem with co-codomal, people say they send them to sleep and stuff but they have no effect like that on me :confused:

I just find that with a sore throat, if I gargle with them then it helps much better than paracetamol.

Anyways, I cant find what strength they are but this is what it says on the packet:

Codeine Phosphate Ph.Eur. 8mg
    Paracetamol Ph.Eur. 500mg

And Im 15 weeks pregnant.

You've scared me out of taking them now anyway, I'll stick to my paracetamol and halls soothers! :razz:
  • Options
    Paracetamol's fine, but don't take more than the recommended dose. Bed rest is better for you than popping pills.
  • Options
    RE paracetamol and codeine, I'd consult a pharmacist.

You can't take any medicated cough syrups. Just glycerin, honey and lemon.
  • Options
    Codeine Phosphate Ph.Eur. 8mg
    Paracetamol Ph.Eur. 500mg

You've scared me out of taking them now anyway, I'll stick to my paracetamol and halls soothers! :razz:

Sorry! I just thought that an opioid for a sore throat was a bit extreme but if it helps you then do it. According to my BNF, 8/500 co-codamols are fine in pregnancy but stay within the recommended dose and be extra careful during the 3 trimester [i.e. after the 26th week] as too much may depress the foetus's respiratory system. Have a chat to your pharmacist/GP/nurse or give NHS 24 a ring back..... they should give you advice over the phone not send you out leaflets...
  • Options
    oooh poor thing. Colds when pregnant are the worst because theres so little you can take for it.
    What i did was make a home made honey and lemon drink (not lemsip type ones - theyre not suitable because of the pseudoephidrine in them)
    Squeeze a lemon or orange into a mug. add 2 teaspoons of honey. Top up with boiling water. I also put a measure of brandy or whisky in it aswell. (its medicinal)
    This actually works surprisingly well.
  • Options
    i find just putting a spoonful of honey in normal tea is really soothing too :yes:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Paracetamol's fine, but don't take more than the recommended dose. Bed rest is better for you than popping pills.
    Yeah I know, I'd rather not be taking anything, but it hurts :(
    Panthro wrote:
    Sorry! I just thought that an opioid for a sore throat was a bit extreme but if it helps you then do it. According to my BNF, 8/500 co-codamols are fine in pregnancy but stay within the recommended dose and be extra careful during the 3 trimester [i.e. after the 26th week] as too much may depress the foetus's respiratory system. Have a chat to your pharmacist/GP/nurse or give NHS 24 a ring back..... they should give you advice over the phone not send you out leaflets...
    I think I'll give them a miss altogether and just use the odd paracetamol. Thankies for your advice though, you're going to make a fabby nurse :thumb:
    What i did was make a home made honey and lemon drink (not lemsip type ones - theyre not suitable because of the pseudoephidrine in them)
    Squeeze a lemon or orange into a mug. add 2 teaspoons of honey. Top up with boiling water. I also put a measure of brandy or whisky in it aswell. (its medicinal)
    This actually works surprisingly well.
    I like the sound of that :yum:
  • Options
    Paracetamol is your limit, its poo :(
  • Options
    I would also get probiotic yoghurts or yoghurt drinks such as actimel or muller vitality.
    They help the immune system. Apparently youre more prone to colds etc in pregnancy because your immunity lowers to stop the body rejecting the pregnancy.
    I dont know where i heard it so dont quote me.
  • Options
    Thankies for your advice though, you're going to make a fabby nurse :thumb:

Aww...thanks for that. Made me feel less stressed about the three essays, presentation, two labs, practical and impending exams...... :D